• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pay Attention When Russia Starts Broadcasting 'Swan Lake'

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
European countries have entered into a sort of an agreement. It is a pact. It is about sharing common values, a common vision of society. Which include freedom of speech, social solidarity, etc...
Certain banking and financial elites would love to undo all that in order to replace that with what they have in the US: the banks decide the economic policies, and there will be no alternative.
They want to privatize healthcare, education, research.

Russia has not the same levels of freedom Western Europe has. That is a given.
Russia still considers war a instrument to settle issues, whereas Western Europe is over the notion of war. That is a given.

But the fact that Russia is politically different than Western Europe, does not imply that the European Union is entitled to impose certain economic and political visions to the EU member states.

Your post is in effect to vague. You make it sound like they are doing something non-legal. If so based on your prior post, I doubt you can show that to be the case.
Let me explain using Denmark's Constitution. It says, that if in a legal manner the right to govern and make laws are given to something else that the Danish government and parliament then that is legal and then that is how laws are made and government is done.

Your argument seems to be that in the end Italy is illegally a member of the EU, but that is decided by the courts or by you getting enough vote to change Italy being a part of the EU or how the EU works.
If in effect legally Italy is a part of the EU, then some laws and government is done by the EU.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Your post is in effect to vague. You make it sound like they are doing something non-legal. If so based on your prior post, I doubt you can show that to be the case.
Let me explain using Denmark's Constitution. It says, that if in a legal manner the right to govern and make laws are given to something else that the Danish government and parliament then that is legal and then that is how laws are made and government is done.
Question: if someday the European Commission imposes all member states to privatize healthcare, that is the national health service of Denmark is to be dismantled; how will the Danish people react?

Your argument seems to be that in the end Italy is illegally a member of the EU, but that is decided by the courts or by you getting enough vote to change Italy being a part of the EU or how the EU works.
If in effect legally Italy is a part of the EU, then some laws and government is done by the EU.

Question: if the president of the Republic of Italy prevents the Italian people from voting in a Eurexit referendum, what does the Italian people need to do? In order to quit to eurozone?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Question: if someday the European Commission imposes all member states to privatize healthcare, that is the national health service of Denmark is to be dismantled; how will the Danish people react?

If that is lawful, then it is lawful. That is how it works. We could try to change it, but if stands, then that is how a representative democracy works.

Question: if the president of the Republic of Italy prevents the Italian people from voting in a Eurexit referendum, what does the Italian people need to do?

If that is lawful, then that is how it works. And the same as above applies here.

Tell me, how does a representative democracy work?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
If that is lawful, then that is how it works. And the same as above applies here.

Tell me, how does a representative democracy work?

Does it seem moral to you?
An entire nation that cannot decide its own currency?
In 1789, in France an entire nation rose against those who had the same notion of "representative democracy".

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Does it seem moral to you?
An entire nation that cannot decide its own currency?
In 1789, in France an entire nation rose against those who had the same notion of "representative democracy".

Well, get some guns and start a revolution. If it doesn't work, don't come crying to me.

What do you want me to say. That we all should do based on what you find moral? If yes, then why you and not me? Because that can't be solved, we got representative democracies. If you want Italy to be run based on your morals as such, then you don't really want democracy.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The idea the guy who changed the constitution to allow himself to stay in power indefinitely, mandated 10 years in prison for criticising the government, banned protests and opposition media and killed his opponents using polonium and chemical warfare nerve agants is an autocrat...
Dang. Sounds like the Democrats cept for the killing part, but who knows what the future holds?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Well, get some guns and start a revolution. If it doesn't work, don't come crying to me.

What do you want me to say. That we all should do based on what you find moral? If yes, then why you and not me? Because that can't be solved, we got representative democracies. If you want Italy to be run based on your morals as such, then you don't really want democracy.
I know the great majority of my own people have the same Weltanschauung and the same values.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Is the European Union any better?
Poor Putin...innocent as a newborn lamb, & greater
a saint than any before him. He wanted only to save
Russia from total destruction by Ukraine's dangerous
Nazi regime, & it's co-conspirator fascists in the EU &
NATO.
How dare those murderous slavering anti-Semites in
Ukraine kill the noble Russian soldiers, who only come
to liberate the oppressed, & prevent western secular
humanist decadence from dooming their souls to Hell.
God is on Putin's side in this righteous humanitarian
mission. His place in Heaven is assured. So praise
the Lord, & pass the ammunition.
R.a6dd7248c6720a9d57ce1c28c370c7cb

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Russia is only partly in Europe but I found this piece on the history of Swan Lake being used for political announcements interesting.
Is Putin Dead? Pay Attention When Russia Starts Broadcasting 'Swan Lake'

When Leonid Brezhnev died in 1982, state-run television broadcast a full-length Swan Lake in lieu of a death announcement. The same footage was aired after the deaths of Yuri Andropov in 1984 and Konstantin Chernenko in 1985. In her book Like a Bomb Going Off: Leonid Yakobson and Ballet as Resistance in Soviet Russia, Janice Ross suggests that these screenings of the Russian ballet were used as a stalling tactic, allowing Soviet leadership time to plan while "soothing the masses." Ballerinas would dance and the public would wait, calmly, applauding the screen.

The same technique was used in 1991 when communists attempted to overthrow Mikhail Gorbachev. Swan Lake aired for three days straight while the public waited it out. In 2011, the Russian national television channel Kultura aired a rebroadcast of Swan Lake to commemorate the attempted coups' 20th anniversary.

I remember a joke about Brezhnev was that he had already been dead for years before his official death, but they just didn't notice earlier.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
But he would love to.

I very much doubt it, or the probability is that he would already have gone down that route.
Extreme left wingers have an obvious hate relationship with the major financiers, only some of whom take a direct interest in politics. Whoever and what ever political group established a government. Finance becomes a major aspect of their concern. Even a communist government needs to work with world finance and financial institutions.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If that is lawful, then it is lawful. That is how it works. We could try to change it, but if stands, then that is how a representative democracy works.
Would it though? I ask not sarcastically, but oit of curiosity if it could be legal to intentionally enact something that will cause rampant needless disease, suffering, financial hardships and death?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I know Russian politics enough to know that Putin is the least responsible for this conflict.
@Estro Felino:
I read a good article, and I fully agree. Exactly what I felt and wrote on RF since the beginning of the war
(A bit long, but the first 10 lines or so, gave a good picture already)

In short: "Russia warned NATO + US long enough. Both did not listen to words, hence action was needed"

Too bad it escalated so much. Putin warned too many times, still the arrogant West did not listen
Almost as if they wanted this war to happen. So many experts have warned for so many years

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Would it though? I ask not sarcastically, but oit of curiosity if it could be legal to intentionally enact something that will cause rampant needless disease, suffering, financial hardships and death?

Well, in principle yes. No constitution in the EU member states says so far that I know, health has to be publicly taxpayer funded. I know of no actual used constitution that says such a thing in the Western world. A constitution is not actual laws, it is the framework for laws.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
@Estro Felino:
I read a good article, and I fully agree. Exactly what I felt and wrote on RF since the beginning of the war
(A bit long, but the first 10 lines or so, gave a good picture already)

In short: "Russia warned NATO + US long enough. Both did not listen to words, hence action was needed"

Too bad it escalated so much. Putin warned too many times, still the arrogant West did not listen
Almost as if they wanted this war to happen. So many experts have warned for so many years
The American Deep State has been doing anything to push for WW3.
They all knew we should have found a diplomatic solution back in early 2021

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The American Deep State has been doing anything to push for WW3.
They all knew we should have found a diplomatic solution back in early 2021
Except they haven't. If America wanted WWIII it would have happened. America has started wars and toppled regimes throughout its history. Why would it have a hard time doing it now?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Except they haven't. If America wanted WWIII it would have happened. America has started wars and toppled regimes throughout its history. Why would it have a hard time doing it now?
Well...it will not happen because Europe is not in on it.
They are over the notion of war, Europeans.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I remember a joke about Brezhnev was that he had already been dead for years before his official death, but they just didn't notice earlier.
He once read a speech about getting the summer Olympics to Moscow. It was written on paper with the Olympic ring logo on top.
"Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh"