• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PAX West Thoughts

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Today is the last day of PAX West. The expo center is closed, the closing ceremony is complete, and I'm in my hotel resting for a bit before enjoying our last night in Seattle.

Wanted to share a few thoughts about the con for fellow gamers.

This was an interesting year. Because the next gen of consoles are coming soon, there was less triple-A games than usual, and most of then are out in days or weeks. This gave a lot of indy game devs the time to shine. And everything from out there experimental games like Untitled Goose Game to up and coming rhythm games like Shapes and Beats were popular picks.
There was a lot of tabletop play this year because PAX founders recently put out a Dungeons and Dragons adventure book. So a whole hotel was given just for tabletop and magic the gathering.

But what truly was king at PAX West this year was VR.
Sony PS VR, Vive and Oculus completed for the most individual booths, and an entire VR demo floor of one of the hotels.
And wow! VR has come a long way. I did not get motion sick once throughout the seven or eight different games I played. One of which was a Skyrim like highly detailed RPG called Asgard's Wrath and the other was a suspense zero gravity sci fi where you are an android assistant uncovering a mystery of a apparently lifeless spaceship (Lone Echo 2). With the most expensive current generation VR costing around the same as a new console, we might finally get an Oculus before we get the next gen standards.

Overall, hubby and I had a great time at the con.
Here's a bunch of phone pictures:
20190901_102451.jpg 20190831_115552.jpg 20190901_170107.jpg 20190901_171735.jpg 20190830_172716.jpg 20190901_211149.jpg 20190901_170411.jpg 20190830_121339.jpg 20190902_122337.jpg

Attachments

• 20190831_111535.jpg
    20190831_111535.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 0

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
With the most expensive current generation VR costing around the same as a new console, we might finally get an Oculus before we get the next gen standards.

Well that means I'm done with console gaming then. Not interested in forking out $1,000 or more for a console, when I can piece together a gaming computer far more advanced for almost half that price. VR doesn't interest me at all anymore. Back when I was young I thought VR was the future of gaming, but I get seasick just watching VR letsplays so I don't think I'll even be able to play VR.

FF7 remake coming out in March will probably be last ps4 purchase. As much as I love that game it will keep me entertained for awhile. After that just PC/mobile games.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
FF7 remake coming out in March will probably be last ps4 purchase. As much as I love that game it will keep me entertained for awhile. After that just PC/mobile games.
Might be about the same for me. After that I'll probably be sticking strictly with PC until console gaming ET-Atari style crashes. Honestly, I'm dreading that FF7 is a "remake" rather than remastered, and is apparently being released in parts. OR, "high enough demand we can bend gamers over and screw them as hard as we want." Or that at least seems the general trend. How much extra is this going to be? How much extra will that be? And, most importantly, will it even feel like a Final Fantasy game with other people basically making a "cardboard cut out" version of FF7? And out of all of them, 7 is the one that NEEDS a graphics upgrade. 8 - 10 were just fine as they are on the original format.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Might be about the same for me. After that I'll probably be sticking strictly with PC until console gaming ET-Atari style crashes. Honestly, I'm dreading that FF7 is a "remake" rather than remastered, and is apparently being released in parts. OR, "high enough demand we can bend gamers over and screw them as hard as we want." Or that at least seems the general trend. How much extra is this going to be? How much extra will that be? And, most importantly, will it even feel like a Final Fantasy game with other people basically making a "cardboard cut out" version of FF7? And out of all of them, 7 is the one that NEEDS a graphics upgrade. 8 - 10 were just fine as they are on the original format.

It being released in parts thing is a myth I think. They've been working on it too long just to only give us 25-50% of the game. Or of it is released in parts I'll wait for the entire thing. I've completed the game several times with the exception of Ruby Weapon who is the hardest optional boss in the game, and the only reason I haven't done that is I don't want to use the bring 2 dead members to the fight strat, well because its corny. But then again Ruby is corny too with absolutely no weakness and a defense that is exponentially higher than anything else. Final form Sephiroths defense was like 200 I think, whereas Ruby weapons defense was 2,000 iirc. So yeah cheesy boss lol.

I was dreading it, because they changed the combat system from turn based like the original to the active battle system like in FF15. Luckily, even though it took me 3 years, I finally mastered the active battle system so I am accustomed to it and am ready for FF7 now.

I heard a rumor they've changed some of the plot. Hints that Aeris(th) might be saveable/revivable after Sephi executes her. Though I don't really mind. Lot of people shipped her with Cloud but that's just not the case. Cloud and Tifa are the couple, Aeris was in love with Zack (the not cloud lol). So I don't see any reason to bring her back, her death was pivotal in building Clouds character. Without it who knows if he would have survived the lifestream.

On a side note about the relationships. Little known fact, if you do the right things you can go on a date with anyone at the Gold Saucer. Even Vincent, Barret, Cait Sith, or Cid (very progressive!). But if you bring Yuffie on the date and played your cards right she will give you a kiss on the cheek. Which is something none of the other characters will do. They all just want to talk and be akward.

Hmmm I dunno 8 had worse graphics imo. I'd love to play a remake of it with 1 request. NO MORE DRAW SYSTEM! Such a stupid system of casting spells. Other than that it was an ok game.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Luckily, even though it took me 3 years, I finally mastered the active battle system so I am accustomed to it and already for FF7 now.
I tend to actually enjoy that system (Star Ocean: The Second Story was my introduction to it). But, in this case, I'd rather it not be changed.
I also noticed when I looked up stuff about FF7, hoping for a release date of a remastered version, that apparently it is supposed to be released in parts. Which I can see them doing that because there are "part 1" and "part 2" for games here and there, seasons and chapters, and more and more gamers who don't realize it used to be you got a complete and finished game on cartridge/disc. There was no paying for this and that after you already paid for the game, and no drawing things out unless it was an expansion pack, which had to add basically at least another half game and then some.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
if you play do the right things you can go on a date with anyone at the Gold Saucer. Even Vincent, Barret, Cait Sith, or Cid (very progressive!). But if you bring Yuffie on the date and played your cards right she will give you a kiss on the cheek. Which is something none of the other characters will do. They all just want to talk and be akward.
I'm so bad at relationships I can't even get them going on video games. It makes me want to laugh and cry, lol. Star Ocean is known for having tons of different endings based on how you develop relations between the various characters (less so in later games). I've seen all the single endings, many, many times. I rarely, hardly ever at all, see a paired ending and out of over 70 or 80-some possible endings I've only ever seen a few of paired endings.

Enoch07

Premium Member
I tend to actually enjoy that system (Star Ocean: The Second Story was my introduction to it). But, in this case, I'd rather it not be changed.
I also noticed when I looked up stuff about FF7, hoping for a release date of a remastered version, that apparently it is supposed to be released in parts. Which I can see them doing that because there are "part 1" and "part 2" for games here and there, seasons and chapters, and more and more gamers who don't realize it used to be you got a complete and finished game on cartridge/disc. There was no paying for this and that after you already paid for the game, and no drawing things out unless it was an expansion pack, which had to add basically at least another half game and then some.

Yeah I've done the whole beta/alpha thing it's a p.i.t.a. Played Ark for like 2 years before it was released, 7 days to die is still in alpha after like 5 years? Sheesh Subnautica, No Mans Sky (might as well have been). It seems it's the future unfortunately. /sigh Don't really see the appeal of it when a AAA title is released that'd fully polished and requires little to no bug/glitch patches on release.

We shall see if it comes in parts like part 1 in March then part 2 in August or something sure. But if its gonna be part 1 in March then part 2 in like 5 years.....no thanks.

Enoch07

Premium Member
I'm so bad at relationships I can't even get them going on video games.

Same, but at least the video game ones don't make me toss and turn at night and randomly call someone a naughty word out loud to relieve some stress.

It makes me want to laugh and cry, lol.

I just laugh now! I have no more tears!

Star Ocean is known for having tons of different endings based on how you develop relations between the various characters (less so in later games).

Love these types of games!

I rarely, hardly ever at all, see a paired ending and out of over 70 or 80-some possible endings I've only ever seen a few of paired endings.

Ok I'm gonna have to try out Star Ocean I think I played the first one many years ago, but not sure. Definitely have to give it another go if there is that kind of in depth content.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Ok I'm gonna have to try out Star Ocean I think I played the first one many years ago, but not sure. Definitely have to give it another go if there is that kind of in depth content.
The first one was SNES and Japan only until the PSP port First Departure. Second Story is Playstation 1, Till the End of Time on PS2 is also good, but Second Story is definitely the best. The rest really went downhill. But the second and third ones, they're kind of "Star Treky" abit with the sci-fi, and very highly super involved with character relations and developments, and as well an item creation/art making thingy that is entirely optional but needed if you want to tackle post-game content and access higher-end items (it's mostly farming for things, or buying ingredients, adding ingredients to be worked with, and coming out with a piece of art, document, food, weapon, jewelry, or song in order to obtain something else, summon a boss, or whatnot).
I would grade the item creation stuff though not too terribly steep a curve to learn, but it does get involved enough that having characters write certain books and making other characters read them is one of the ways to get paired endings. But the ins-and-outs and how the stats and how skills and abilities relate to it all can take a moment.
And it also has some wicked awesome spells and fighters have what's called "killer moves." They get pretty cool too. Especially with the guy possessed by two dragon demons.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
And you definitely want a rumbly controller for it because that thing will earthquake shake, rattle, tremble, and jitter in a few scenes like no other game will, lol.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I forgot there is a Star Ocean anime, that only made to the end of the first disc of Second Story.:(

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
But what truly was king at PAX West this year was VR.
Sony PS VR, Vive and Oculus completed for the most individual booths, and an entire VR demo floor of one of the hotels.
And wow! VR has come a long way. I did not get motion sick once throughout the seven or eight different games I played. One of which was a Skyrim like highly detailed RPG called Asgard's Wrath and the other was a suspense zero gravity sci fi where you are an android assistant uncovering a mystery of a apparently lifeless spaceship (Lone Echo 2). With the most expensive current generation VR costing around the same as a new console, we might finally get an Oculus before we get the next gen standards.
I'm surprised at the leaps VR has taken. I remember what it was 25 or so years ago. It was rad, but only for about a minute. I wonder if the trend today is here to stay or if it will again fizzle out?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I wonder if any modern developer will say "instead of releasing a game in parts, where just gonna make them really hard again to extend game to play."?

Enoch07

Premium Member
I forgot there is a Star Ocean anime, that only made to the end of the first disc of Second Story.:(

Yeah I actually have 1 movie lol.

Someone who knew I liked Anime but not what kind just randomly bought me a Star Ocean DVD (like 15 years ago). I still haven't watched it lol. I so particular about my anime!

Enoch07

Premium Member
I wonder if any modern developer will say "instead of releasing a game in parts, where just gonna make them really hard again to extend game to play."?

I wouldn't be opposed to that. Games are too easy now. Aside from Dark Souls.... I just can't on Dark Souls 3.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yeah I actually have 1 movie lol.

Someone who knew I liked Anime but not what kind just randomly bought me a Star Ocean DVD (like 15 years ago). I still haven't watched it lol. I so particular about my anime!
The anime actually followed the game very closely.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Well that means I'm done with console gaming then. Not interested in forking out $1,000 or more for a console, when I can piece together a gaming computer far more advanced for almost half that price.
I know you're not interested but the VR I'm talking about is $400 (for an oculus s, you have to have a PC however.) Next gen consoles are looking to be about the same, around $400.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
One thing that's nice about the current wave of indy and vr games: they're self contained, no dlcs, no microtransactions. I don't know how long the trend will stick around but I like rhythm games too so Beat Saber alone will keep me occupied like the ddr before it.
That and silly stuff like using the vr for google Earth. Walk around random cities.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That and silly stuff like using the vr for google Earth. Walk around random cities.
Now I know technology left me behind because I did not at all think of trying that the couple times I got to mess around with VR. Downloading some crap ap game, because it's what was there and what I found, is how I got to try VR, lol.