• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paul: The Stranger

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
MidnightBlue said:
What do you think of this book?

I read a little of the Forward -- all I had time for. I'm not familiar with either the author or the cause he's associated with.

I find it interesting that the scriptural quotation at the top of the page (Luke 10:23b-24) is not very likely to be authentic.

I agree wholeheartedly with the premise. The religion of Christendom and of Paul is not the religion of Jesus. Jesus was a Jew.

I'm extremely interested in the search for the historical Jesus and, I'm finding that the search is not at all simple or easy.

A

angellous_evangellous

MidnightBlue said:
What do you think of this book?

Such an approach is outdated. He says that "The Christianity of the New Testament is the religion of Paul" as opposed to "the religion of Jesus."

Such an approach does not recognize the nature of the Gospels. The letters of Paul were written and circulated up to 50 years before the Gospels, and the Gospels affirm the organization and theology of the Pauline churches. The historical Jesus is firmly encased in Pauline theology. We can't review the Gospels and find a Jesus that is pure of all Pauline tendancies because the Jesus of the Gospels is the product of a church that was influenced by, and sometimes founded by Paul (in the case of John).

Smoke

Done here.
angellous_evangellous said:
Such an approach is outdated. He says that "The Christianity of the New Testament is the religion of Paul" as opposed to "the religion of Jesus."

Such an approach does not recognize the nature of the Gospels. The letters of Paul were written and circulated up to 50 years before the Gospels, and the Gospels affirm the organization and theology of the Pauline churches. The historical Jesus is firmly encased in Pauline theology. We can't review the Gospels and find a Jesus that is pure of all Pauline tendancies because the Jesus of the Gospels is the product of a church that was influenced by, and sometimes founded by Paul (in the case of John).
So, basically you're agreeing with him. Why do you find the opinion you both share to be outdated?