1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paul Confronts Peter (and Christians)

Discussion in 'Biblical Debates' started by tomspug, Jun 5, 2008.

1. tomspug

tomspug Absorbant

Ratings:
    +470
    The letter to the Galatians is one of Paul's best, because he really calls out hypocrisy, which I think is a big problem in the church right now. Let me know what you think.

(just as background, Jews believed that circumcision = righteousness (set apart) before God, but Jesus's death and resurrection made all believers righteous, regardless of appearances. And when Paul says "Jews" he's referring to Jewish Christians like himself, Peter and the other apostles)

Which passages stand out to you the most? Do you think this applies to Christians today? How are Christians hypocritical?

2. Mister Emu

Mister Emu Emu Extraordinaire
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,752
    Religion:
    Christian
    Obviously you think we are... so go ahead and tell us...

3. tomspug

tomspug Absorbant

Ratings:
    +470
    It's not a question of whether or not Christians are hypocritical. It's a question of HOW we are. I merely opened up the topic for discussion, so if you feel like sharing, please do.

I, however, do not feel like giving my opinion unless there is someone to talk TO. I already said that I think that there is hypocrisy in the church at the beginning of the OP. Do you think that some people are hypocritical while others are free of hypocrisy?

4. Scuba Pete

Scuba Pete Le plongeur avec attitude...

Ratings:
    +3,191
    Religion:
    Christian Taoist
    The whole book is a study in Christian Freedom and it is really brought home in the fifth chapter.
    It is my not humble enough opinion that Christians have exchanged one set of laws for yet another. Rather than embracing the FREEDOM that is ours in Christ, they have embraced earth based churches that are determined to enslave them with every manner of rules and regulations.

Brethren (and sistern), THIS OUGHT NOT TO BE!

Galatians 2:14 When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter in front of them all, "You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs? NIV

It's not that the customs are JEWISH, it's that Peter was FORCING them to follow rules made by men. Jesus gave us just two "laws": Love God and Love Everyone else. After that, it's mostly just opinion!

It is also good to see Paul confronting Peter. It is obvious that these were just men trying to serve God and they often got things wrong: just like us.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tomspug

tomspug Absorbant

Ratings:
    +470
    What I like about it is that it shows that it is OK to say that something that a Christian does is wrong and against the will of God. For SOME reason, it's easier to criticize the 'sinful' who need love, not judgment from man, and yet we refuse to criticize the ones who should KNOW BETTER.

6. Scuba Pete

Scuba Pete Le plongeur avec attitude...

Ratings:
    +3,191
    Religion:
    Christian Taoist
    I have a myriad of faults, but that's not one of them. I think I am resented by a few for continually showing my brethren that they need to concentrate on nothing else, but LOVE.