• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paul Confronts Peter (and Christians)

tomspug

Absorbant
The letter to the Galatians is one of Paul's best, because he really calls out hypocrisy, which I think is a big problem in the church right now. Let me know what you think.

(just as background, Jews believed that circumcision = righteousness (set apart) before God, but Jesus's death and resurrection made all believers righteous, regardless of appearances. And when Paul says "Jews" he's referring to Jewish Christians like himself, Peter and the other apostles)

When Peter came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he was clearly in the wrong. Before certain men came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group. The other Jews joined him in his hypocrisy, so that by their hypocrisy, so that by their hypocrisy even Barnabas was led astray.

When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter in front of them all, "You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs?

"We who are Jews by birth and not 'Gentile sinners' know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified.

"If, while we seek to be justified in Christ, it becomes evident that we ourselves are sinners, does that mean that Christ promotes sin? Absolutely not! If I rebuild what I destroyed, I prove that I am a lawbreaker. For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!"
Which passages stand out to you the most? Do you think this applies to Christians today? How are Christians hypocritical?

tomspug

Absorbant
Obviously you think we are... so go ahead and tell us...
It's not a question of whether or not Christians are hypocritical. It's a question of HOW we are. I merely opened up the topic for discussion, so if you feel like sharing, please do.

I, however, do not feel like giving my opinion unless there is someone to talk TO. I already said that I think that there is hypocrisy in the church at the beginning of the OP. Do you think that some people are hypocritical while others are free of hypocrisy?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Which passages stand out to you the most? Do you think this applies to Christians today?
The whole book is a study in Christian Freedom and it is really brought home in the fifth chapter.
How are Christians hypocritical?
It is my not humble enough opinion that Christians have exchanged one set of laws for yet another. Rather than embracing the FREEDOM that is ours in Christ, they have embraced earth based churches that are determined to enslave them with every manner of rules and regulations.

Brethren (and sistern), THIS OUGHT NOT TO BE!

Galatians 2:14 When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter in front of them all, "You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs? NIV

It's not that the customs are JEWISH, it's that Peter was FORCING them to follow rules made by men. Jesus gave us just two "laws": Love God and Love Everyone else. After that, it's mostly just opinion!

It is also good to see Paul confronting Peter. It is obvious that these were just men trying to serve God and they often got things wrong: just like us.

tomspug

Absorbant
What I like about it is that it shows that it is OK to say that something that a Christian does is wrong and against the will of God. For SOME reason, it's easier to criticize the 'sinful' who need love, not judgment from man, and yet we refuse to criticize the ones who should KNOW BETTER.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
and yet we refuse to criticize the ones who should KNOW BETTER.
I have a myriad of faults, but that's not one of them. I think I am resented by a few for continually showing my brethren that they need to concentrate on nothing else, but LOVE.