• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paul - An Apostle?

Was Paul a true Christian?

• Yes

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I would like to know

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

2ndpillar

Tertius was Paul's transcriber, or secretary. Paul was the author. Romans 16:22.

Not according to the New King James Romans 16:22. You would have to go to a new narrative, such as from the New Living Translation to find your skewed translation. More in line with "fake news" than anything "True".

New King James Version
I, Tertius, who wrote this epistle, greet you in the Lord.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The following are some of the lines the author of Mark pulled out of Psalm 22 and Amos 8. I can prove a literary tradition that was common practice, it can be demonstrated and shown to be the case.

Psalm 22:

18 they divide my clothes among themselves,
and for my clothing they cast lots.

7 All who see me mock at me;
they make mouths at me, they shake their heads

1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?

Amos 8
9 On that day, says the Lord God,
I will make the sun go down at noon,
and darken the earth in broad daylight
Of course, there's going to be some parallels that may be applied, but the idea that the above is somehow proof of Jesus' crucifixion is simply wrong-headed as the above relates to events thousands of years before Jesus' time and they pertain to quite different historical matters if you read them in context.

IOW, again, you're only seeing what you want to see as any serious theologian would tell you.

metis

@YoursTrue Interesting that there are persons identifying themselves as Christian, who "are not sure" if Paul wrote Hebrews.
Attributing authorship objectively to some books is much more complicated than you think, and since when does such a question supposedly bring into question one's Christianity?

lukethethird

unknown member
Of course, there's going to be some parallels that may be applied, but the idea that the above is somehow proof of Jesus' crucifixion is simply wrong-headed as the above relates to events thousands of years before Jesus' time and they pertain to quite different historical matters if you read them in context.

IOW, again, you're only seeing what you want to see as any serious theologian would tell you.

I never said it was wrong headed, I am just showing that Christianity's religious texts are of a written tradition rather than an oral one. You can see it throughout the OT as well, where authors write stories by taking lines from earlier books and rearranging them to write their new story. It's a method called midrash, a common practice. Nothing wrong headed about it at all, we are just not reading history when reading The Bible, we don't read the stories literally, unless of course we are religious fundamentalists.

metis

I am just showing that Christianity's religious texts are of a written tradition rather than an oral one.
I've already shown you where it states the use of "tradition" in scripture, which you continue to ignore, so don't tell me you believe in the "written tradition" because you clearly believe in only what you want to believe and not what's written. No theologian would ever agree with you because you're going against the scriptures plus even basic common sense.

And what do you think the Holy Spirit is about? Doesn't the Spirit help to provide guidance for not only us as individuals but also the Church as Jesus promised?

metis

You can see it throughout the OT as well, where authors write stories by taking lines from earlier books and rearranging them to write their new story. It's a method called midrash, a common practice.
Midrashim does not spout previous texts verbatim but they add commentary to a text from that which is believed as commentary. regardless of the source. An example is "For Thine is the Kingdom, the Power, and the Glory...", which is not found verbatim in the Tanakh but was the author's way of giving praise since it doesn't show up in the oldest copies in any of the gospels.

Trying to have a serious discussion with you is darn near impossible because you elevate your own opinions over even scripture itself while you claim to believe in it. IOW, this is getting "old" and boring, so my participation is pretty much over.

lukethethird

unknown member
I've already shown you where it states the use of "tradition" in scripture, which you continue to ignore, so don't tell me you believe in the "written tradition" because you clearly believe in only what you want to believe and not what's written. No theologian would ever agree with you because you're going against the scriptures plus even basic common sense.

It appears that the unknown author of gMark had the Septuagint and Paul's epistles before him when he wrote his story, Matthew and Luke copied gMark, they copied most of it word for word, and to an extent the author of John relied on gMark as well. The author of gMark relied on written material as well as his own imagination, but you claim to know something about an oral tradition which cannot in any way be supported. You are merely claiming a so called oral tradition to fill in the gap, to account for the time between the supposed time of Jesus' death and the time when gMark was written.

And what do you think the Holy Spirit is about? Doesn't the Spirit help to provide guidance for not only us as individuals but also the Church as Jesus promised?

Notions of a Holy Spirit involve magical thinking which is primitive and tribal, is that what you rely on?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Not according to the New King James Romans 16:22. You would have to go to a new narrative, such as from the New Living Translation to find your skewed translation. More in line with "fake news" than anything "True".

New King James Version
I, Tertius, who wrote this epistle, greet you in the Lord.
Again -- Tertius wrote the epistle but was obviously penning the words and thoughts of Paul. To me that's not hard to understand. No insult, but for you it must be difficult.

YoursTrue

So it's curious regarding these things that because of wording lately some baptisms are considered to be invalid by the church illegal. Perhaps you've read about it.
"The Catholic Church says baptisms performed by a priest who served in Arizona for 16 years are now presumed to be invalid because he used incorrect wording on a subtle but key component of the sacrament."
Baptisms by Arizona priest presumed invalid due to error - ABC News (go.com)
This in regard to decisions and holy spirit and what is considered valid or invalid. (Guidance.)
also @lukethethird to read hopefully in reference to this point metis made.

2ndpillar

Again -- Tertius wrote the epistle but was obviously penning the words and thoughts of Paul. To me that's not hard to understand. No insult, but for you it must be difficult.

If you can't decipher, "I, Tertius, who wrote this epistle, greet you in the Lord.", good luck figuring out anything else. But then again, the "many" go down the wide path to "destruction", so the pied piper must have some drawing power. (Matthew 7:13) Now if you use Progressive new translations, creating their own narrative, then that is a problem of who you follow, besides following the false prophet, Paul.

lukethethird

unknown member
So it's curious regarding these things that because of wording lately some baptisms are considered to be invalid by the church illegal. Perhaps you've read about it.
"The Catholic Church says baptisms performed by a priest who served in Arizona for 16 years are now presumed to be invalid because he used incorrect wording on a subtle but key component of the sacrament."
Baptisms by Arizona priest presumed invalid due to error - ABC News (go.com)
This in regard to decisions and holy spirit and what is considered valid or invalid. (Guidance.)
also @lukethethird to read hopefully in reference to this point metis made.
Every single copy and transalation of The Bible is invalid if all those baptisms are invalid by that standard.

YoursTrue

Every single copy and transalation of The Bible is invalid if all those baptisms are invalid by that standard.
lol, not sure what you mean. Of course, I believe it was considered as a very big sin for a long time if a regular person dared even read the Bible.

YoursTrue

If you can't decipher, "I, Tertius, who wrote this epistle, greet you in the Lord.", good luck figuring out anything else. But then again, the "many" go down the wide path to "destruction", so the pied piper must have some drawing power. (Matthew 7:13) Now if you use Progressive new translations, creating their own narrative, then that is a problem of who you follow, besides following the false prophet, Paul.
Paul was not a false prophet, and please have a good night. I find it amazing that you do not understand, but then it's possible. As life is unfolding, we'll see.

Triumph

FREEDOM OF SPEECH
He was one of the finest Christians ever to walk the face of the earth. Yes my belief agrees with the scriptures.
Paul slaughtered Christians and put them in prison for being followers of Jesus. He did it without mercy and without remorse so in no way is Paul a fine Christian. Once a murderer always a murderer and the lives of the innocent victims should be honored more than their killer. Paul should have been punished for his serial murders, placed in prison, but probably because of his wealth and high status somehow, he got away with it. It is possible he paid the secular court to look the other way. Paul was adept at paying money to remove responsibility for crimes as it was ingrained in his religious beliefs. Paul said he forgets about the people he apprehended. So their suffering means nothing to him.
John the Baptist is the finest Christian according to the voice of Jesus and Paul declares what John taught is meaningless because John taught water baptism removes sin but Paul teaches the death of an innocent life removes sin. Paul wants praise for the death of Jesus. No true Apostle wanted Jesus dead and Peter was even willing to fight to prevent it because Peter had learned what "I desire mercy and not sacrifice means". Jesus never said my death will save you.
Jesus told the Jews that if they want him to die then they do not love Jesus, do not love God and are not the people of God.
1 John 4:7
Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God."
If you love someone then you do not agree to his murder for crimes he did not commit. God commands do not kill.
John 8:42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me." Note these men are sons of Abraham as is Paul. Paul easily could have been among these temple priests, threatening to kill Jesus, and they ARE doing the works of Abraham that threatened to kill an innocent man that welcomed Abraham into his home. Jesus said, I know that ye are Abraham's seed; but ye seek to kill me, because my word hath no place in you. Understand that if you seek to kill Jesus, agreeing he should die then the word of God has no place in you.
"If God were your Father, ye would love me And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?"
In John 8 verse 56, Understand Abraham is dead and when Jesus says "my day" it is the day his sons kill Jesus which would make Abraham if he were alive rejoice because Abraham's lies are believed as truth and the truth taught by Jesus is destroyed. I AM is God and before the father of the lie that he is chosen of God existed, the Truth that Abraham is not chosen existed.
The bloodline covenant does not exist, Abraham lied when he said it does.
That is clear as to what Jesus thinks about killing him as a sacrifice. Do not believe it or approve of it. Water Baptism removes sin, believe that truth.
So, Paul's gospel is kill innocent Jesus for a reward. How could it be wonderful to follow a man that according to Jesus does not love Jesus, does not love God nor is he in the kingdom of God but is found in the house of Judas the betrayer of Jesus that helped to kill Jesus and lost his Apostleship for it. Paul gave himself the title of Apostle and he is not one. Judas lost his apostleship for agreeing to the death of Jesus. Paul is so crafty he gets people to believe he is an Apostle for agreeing Jesus should die and wants people to agree Jesus should die.

2ndpillar

Paul slaughtered Christians and put them in prison for being followers of Jesus. He did it without mercy and without remorse so in no way is Paul a fine Christian. Once a murderer always a murderer and the lives of the innocent victims should be honored more than their killer. Paul should have been punished for his serial murders, placed in prison, but probably because of his wealth and high status somehow, he got away with it. It is possible he paid the secular court to look the other way. Paul was adept at paying money to remove responsibility for crimes as it was ingrained in his religious beliefs. Paul said he forgets about the people he apprehended. So their suffering means nothing to him.
John the Baptist is the finest Christian according to the voice of Jesus and Paul declares what John taught is meaningless because John taught water baptism removes sin but Paul teaches the death of an innocent life removes sin. Paul wants praise for the death of Jesus. No true Apostle wanted Jesus dead and Peter was even willing to fight to prevent it because Peter had learned what "I desire mercy and not sacrifice means". Jesus never said my death will save you.
Jesus told the Jews that if they want him to die then they do not love Jesus, do not love God and are not the people of God.
Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God."
If you love someone then you do not agree to his murder for crimes he did not commit. God commands do not kill.
John 8:42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me." Note these men are sons of Abraham as is Paul. Paul easily could have been among these temple priests, threatening to kill Jesus, and they ARE doing the works of Abraham that threatened to kill an innocent man that welcomed Abraham into his home. Jesus said, I know that ye are Abraham's seed; but ye seek to kill me, because my word hath no place in you. Understand that if you seek to kill Jesus, agreeing he should die then the word of God has no place in you.
"If God were your Father, ye would love me And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?"
In John 8 verse 56, Understand Abraham is dead and when Jesus says "my day" it is the day his sons kill Jesus which would make Abraham if he were alive rejoice because Abraham's lies are believed as truth and the truth taught by Jesus is destroyed. I AM is God and before the father of the lie that he is chosen of God existed, the Truth that Abraham is not chosen existed.
That is clear as to what Jesus thinks about killing him as a sacrifice. Do not believe it or approve of it. Water Baptism removes sin, believe that truth.
So, Paul's gospel is kill innocent Jesus for a reward. How could it be wonderful to follow a man that according to Jesus does not love Jesus, does not love God nor is he in the kingdom of God but is found in the house of Judas the betrayer of Jesus that helped to kill Jesus and lost his Apostleship for it. Paul gave himself the title of Apostle and he is not one. Judas lost his apostleship for agreeing to the death of Jesus. Paul is so crafty he gets people to believe he is an Apostle for agreeing Jesus should die and wants people to agree Jesus should die.

Paul was fulfilling his destiny of being one of the two staffs taken to "pasture the flock (Gentile Church) doomed for slaughter". He was "annihilated" along with Judas Iscariot (Zechariah 11:13 & Matthew 27:9-10), and the "worthless shepherd", Peter, in one generation (Zechariah 11:8). The son of man, Hosea, paid the equivalence of 30 shekels of silver (Hosea 3:2) for the "adulteress", the Gentile church, to remain with him for "many days" until "Israel will return". That return is after 2 days (Hosea 5:15-6:2), when Judah and Ephraim/Israel will "acknowledge their guilt". Paul, as the conduit of the message of the devil (Matthew 13:39), as well as the tares are under the protection of Yeshua (Matthew 13:28-29) until the "end of the age" (Matthew 13:30), whence they will be "gathered" and burned up, as in the Great Tribulation, as described as the "furnace of fire" (Mt 13:42).

Triumph

FREEDOM OF SPEECH
Right, Paul said Paul was an apostle.

I knew a guy who said he was a ninja. I don’t think he was a ninja.
Good one!
Paul was fulfilling his destiny of being one of the two staffs taken to "pasture the flock (Gentile Church) doomed for slaughter". He was "annihilated" along with Judas Iscariot (Zechariah 11:13 & Matthew 27:9-10), and the "worthless shepherd", Peter, in one generation (Zechariah 11:8). The son of man, Hosea, paid the equivalence of 30 shekels of silver (Hosea 3:2) for the "adulteress", the Gentile church, to remain with him for "many days" until "Israel will return". That return is after 2 days (Hosea 5:15-6:2), when Judah and Ephraim/Israel will "acknowledge their guilt". Paul, as the conduit of the message of the devil (Matthew 13:39), as well as the tares are under the protection of Yeshua (Matthew 13:28-29) until the "end of the age" (Matthew 13:30), whence they will be "gathered" and burned up, as in the Great Tribulation, as described as the "furnace of fire" (Mt 13:42).
An interesting fact that people overlook is Judas knew from the beginning that Jesus would be condemned to die when Judas sold him for 30 pieces of silver. That was the entire reason for betraying Jesus so he would be condemned to die. This scripture in Matt 27,
"Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,"
Note, Judas returns to Jews for repentance not to Christians for repentance. That fact is extremely important.
The attitude of the temple is against Judas that Judas was still condemned to die for leaving the Jewish temple that was causing Judas to "repent" (not wanting to return to the Christian church for repentance) but repenting to return to the Jewish religion to remove the death sentence placed on all Christian converts. Judas wanted the temple to forgive Judas for what he did. Jesus was already condemned, and Judas knew that money would never set Jesus free) Judas did not offer the Church Jesus established the money with repentance and remorse as Judas did not return to Christians for any forgiveness proving Judas rejected everything Jesus taught.
Judas tried to buy his OWN life back with those 30 pieces of silver as a blood offering for sinning against the temple and Judas considers himself innocent blood that he betrayed when he left the temple. So, Judas proclaims Jews are innocent blood, the chosen by Lord God. But the temple refused to accept Judas back and the temple does not see that they are sinning at all in the condemnation of Jesus, nor do they see Jesus or Judas that joined him as " innocent blood". So, they point out Judas needs to look at the fact they consider Judas condemned also for becoming a Christian and he has to deal with THAT.
4Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? see thou to that."
Returning to unforgiving murderers that are established much like a religious Mafia caused the death of Judas that lied when he said he loved Jesus but didn't lie when he said he repented from leaving that religion that kills people for rejecting them.

74x12

Peter warned us against twisting scriptures; specifically when dealing with the writings of Paul. (2 Peter 3:15-16) I think you need to study what Paul is really saying a bit harder and really grasp the concept; instead of just picking through it to find fault.

Also all scriptures from the gospels or Old Testament are to be spiritually discerned. Not fully understood by the carnal mind.

Jesus taught that whoever hears the Word of the kingdom but doesn't understand ... the wicked one comes and steals the seed out of their heart before it can grow up. So we should not just hear the Word of God but understand it. That's just as important as hearing. Because without understanding the Word of God is unfruitful.

As for the death on the cross being from God or murderers.

Peter himself was rebuked for trying to forbid Jesus from the death on the cross. (Matthew 16:23) So it is from God.

Because even though they(the killers of Jesus) intended it for evil. God intended it for good like Joseph said to his brothers.

Genesis 50:20
But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.​

So God does not love evil; but he does love the good that overcomes evil. And there is no greater example than the cross of Jesus Christ.

So, Joseph foreshadows Jesus and Jesus from whose side flowed both water and blood is the main ingredient. Without him baptism is nothing. You have the same water in your toilet if Jesus isn't added. But Jesus truly gives forgiveness of sins by the cross. Without him we're nothing.

Triumph

FREEDOM OF SPEECH
Peter warned us against twisting scriptures; specifically when dealing with the writings of Paul. (2 Peter 3:15-16) I think you need to study what Paul is really saying a bit harder and really grasp the concept; instead of just picking through it to find fault.

Also all scriptures from the gospels or Old Testament are to be spiritually discerned. Not fully understood by the carnal mind.

Jesus taught that whoever hears the Word of the kingdom but doesn't understand ... the wicked one comes and steals the seed out of their heart before it can grow up. So we should not just hear the Word of God but understand it. That's just as important as hearing. Because without understanding the Word of God is unfruitful.

As for the death on the cross being from God or murderers.

Peter himself was rebuked for trying to forbid Jesus from the death on the cross. (Matthew 16:23) So it is from God.

Because even though they(the killers of Jesus) intended it for evil. God intended it for good like Joseph said to his brothers.

Genesis 50:20
But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.​

So God does not love evil; but he does love the good that overcomes evil. And there is no greater example than the cross of Jesus Christ.

So, Joseph foreshadows Jesus and Jesus from whose side flowed both water and blood is the main ingredient. Without him baptism is nothing. You have the same water in your toilet if Jesus isn't added. But Jesus truly gives forgiveness of sins by the cross. Without him we're nothing.
Understand something about Peter. Peter was willing to fight to prevent the death of those he loved and knowing God loved Jesus, he could not understand why God would allow Jesus to be killed so did not believe it. Jesus is innocent. Peter knew there were thousands of people that would be willing to fight to prevent his death and with God on their side they would prevail. So, when Jesus said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men." Remember Jesus taught against war, against killing, against religious killing, and Jesus absolutely was not going to let his beloved friends fight and die to keep him alive. Jesus would lay down his life before he would let that happen. Jesus never demanded anyone be killed because they did not believe in his religion and that was the thing of God that Jesus wanted to instill in the minds of his followers. The things that be of men is war if people disagree. Righteousness cannot be measured by what army has the strongest military.
God did not want Jesus dead as a sacrifice, the Jews did and they were skilled killers that demanded their people kill to establish their religious beliefs. Killing to establish the kingdom of God is not acceptable to God and is Satanic. The path to God is not bloody. Jesus was sent to teach people not to start wars, and Jesus did not want to be the cause of a war starting.

YoursTrue

Understand something about Peter. Peter was willing to fight to prevent the death of those he loved and knowing God loved Jesus, he could not understand why God would allow Jesus to be killed so did not believe it. Jesus is innocent. Peter knew there were thousands of people that would be willing to fight to prevent his death and with God on their side they would prevail. So, when Jesus said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men." Remember Jesus taught against war, against killing, against religious killing, and Jesus absolutely was not going to let his beloved friends fight and die to keep him alive. Jesus would lay down his life before he would let that happen. Jesus never demanded anyone be killed because they did not believe in his religion and that was the thing of God that Jesus wanted to instill in the minds of his followers. The things that be of men is war if people disagree. Righteousness cannot be measured by what army has the strongest military.
God did not want Jesus dead as a sacrifice, the Jews did and they were skilled killers that demanded their people kill to establish their religious beliefs. Killing to establish the kingdom of God is not acceptable to God and is Satanic. The path to God is not bloody. Jesus was sent to teach people not to start wars, and Jesus did not want to be the cause of a war starting.
You have your opinion about things and I'm not about to argue but Jesus knew what was foretold about the Messiah. He knew who he was. That was confirmed at his baptism as well as the transfiguration. I'm not sure where you're coming from, but there are prophecies that do not agree with your take on things. The greatest war is yet to come, and it's NOT going to be fought among men. Anyway, have a good night. I'm looking forward to the future in many aspects, all from God.

YoursTrue

Paul slaughtered Christians and put them in prison for being followers of Jesus. He did it without mercy and without remorse so in no way is Paul a fine Christian. Once a murderer always a murderer and the lives of the innocent victims should be honored more than their killer.

Paul himself was forgiven, but the stain of his previous sin was with him. However, God forgave him, yet he himself was slated to die and probably not in a real gentle way. It probably wasn't like he was given an injection and fell asleep in death. When a sinner repents, God has compassion and forgiveness available.