• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paths - Which Are You On?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Thanks... All your posts are so thoughtful too, and I think you are stuck with me because I like you so much. :)

I do believe God is there and I do get mad, but not all the time, only when I get another test thrown at me, as if I have not already had enough. :(

Well, the suffering does not seem to daunt most believers, they just make excuses for it.... I cannot do that because my mind won't let me.

I have no problem believe in God existing, my problem is that sometimes I want to believe God does not exist. Of course it is a mixed bag. Sometimes I find solace in believing and knowing God is there, but sometimes it is only a burden because of all the responsibilities of being a Baha'i and I think it would be easier to be an atheist.... Trailblazer is caught in between two worlds! :(

You are of pure heart and virtues so I am sure God won't blame you for not believing. God is not petty. You can only believe what your mind will allow. The same goes for me.

I believe that God is far, far above what religions make Him out to be. People can only understand what they can encapsulate and I think that is why they try to encapsulate God, but God is exalted beyond human understanding.

I believe there is a purpose to this life, including the suffering, to prepare us for the life to come, but I still think it is cruel.and haphazard, since some people suffer so much more than others.
Nevertheless it is only my belief in this life as preparation that allows me to tolerate life.

Deep down I believe that the true God is the attributes of all virtues. Maybe we need to be more virtuous to relate to God, maybe that is my problem. Despite my struggles to be virtuous, there are some virtues i just do not have, but maybe God is testing me so I will acquire them. I certainly have acquired patience from my tests, but I lack compassion for some people and I am not quick to forgive.

No, I don't think it is good to live in a fantasy and that is why I do not believe everything I am supposed to as a Baha'i.

Well you've always been a very friendly lady to me. I'm glad to have these conversations with you.

My father was a fundamentalist Christian, and my mother was independently spiritual. So I followed after my mom instead of my father. I remain wary of all religions. My father's religion scarred me for life. I found it was very oppressive. It was like being told I was on my way to hell if I didn't believe in the supernatural. I discovered that a person's imagination can rationalize anything they want to believe if they really want or need something to be true.

I see the beauty of life and the glory of it. I find it compels me to search for God because the glory is beyond dreams. I've always had this vision of life and it drives me tirelessly to find out if there is any reality to it. It's like a hope against all hope.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
My father was a fundamentalist Christian, and my mother was independently spiritual. So I followed after my mom instead of my father. I remain wary of all religions. My father's religion scarred me for life. I found it was very oppressive. It was like being told I was on my way to hell if I didn't believe in the supernatural. I discovered that a person's imagination can rationalize anything they want to believe if they really want or need something to be true.
Thanks for sharing that. Both my parents were raised as Christians, my father in the Anglican Church, my mother Greek Orthodox. However, they both left the Church before the children were born, so bu the time my older brother was born in 1945 they had left the Church.

Neither my brother or my sister or I ever heard anything about God or religion growing up so as I recall, I never even thought about God. It was in my first year of college that I stumbled upon the Baha'i Faith and became a Baha'i. I was not searching for a religion or searching for God at that time, that was the last thing I was looking for! My sister also became a Baha'i at that time, but my brother had become Baha'i two years earlier.

My father had been deceased six years before I became a Baha'i and he had never heard of the Faith. Later my mother told me that my father had become an atheist, but she never talked about herself. I think she retained her belief in God though, because she became a Baha'i five years later.

I consider myself very fortunate that I never had any religion before I became a Baha'i, especially Christianity, because I probably would not have recognized Baha'u'llah if I had been a Christian.
I see the beauty of life and the glory of it. I find it compels me to search for God because the glory is beyond dreams. I've always had this vision of life and it drives me tirelessly to find out if there is any reality to it. It's like a hope against all hope.
The irony is that I believe that what Baha'u'llah revealed is reality, and it is glorious, yet I still have inner conflicts because of all the human and animal suffering I see in the world as well as the suffering I have experienced and continue to experience. I just cannot make that fit with a loving God. In my mind I think I am wrong, and that everything Baha'u'llah revealed about God is true, that God is merciful, loving, and compassionate, but I do not feel that on an emotional level.

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
Who said I was passionate? I was just responding to your questions.
Not who... what - your every post about Bahaullah's writings to elevate them above the Bible.

That is a straw man. Baha'u'llah wrote what He wrote and I interpreted it.
I also interpret the Bible all by myself.

That is also a straw man. I never said it was not about truth. I only ever said that people come to different conclusions about the truth because they interpret the Bible differently.
So you believe there is truth? Okay. Who has it? Or where is it found?

It means what it says. Jesus' soul existed in heaven before God sent it to earth.

Sorry, I worded that incorrectly. The soul of Jesus already existed and it united with His body at the moment of conception.
So you interpret. Hence, it's not the case it means what you interpret it to mean. Agreed?

nPeace

Veteran Member
As I said. Boring. As they say, no risk no fun.
But what do you mean? No vodka, neither cigars either in heaven, or whatever? No black metal, nor first person shooter video games?

horrible. And you are surprised I prefer destruction?

what Christians believe. Are you going to sue them?

Well, of course, that is what science is about. When new evidence becomes available, things can change, improved, even replaced.

and it works. Wanna see how? Try to post back to me using no computer, no internet, no optical fibers, no quantum mechanics, no transistors, etc….. and just use your Jehovah. By praying, for instance.

Let’s see how successful you’ll be.

Immoral sex? Lol. I told you your whatever eternal life is gonna be eternal boredom.

But why not? Can you get Aids in Heaven, or whatever, too?

I think it is quite obvious. And the majority of theists agree with me. If they didn’t, they would all believe in your Jehovah. Which they don ‘t.

And some believe God looks like an elephant. So much for theists consistency. If scientists disagreed by one millionth of the huge inconsistencies theists present to us, you would have already died laughing at us a long time ago. I mean, not even Christians agree on the most basic facts surrounding their faith.

You said it. It brings you joy and satisfaction. What other motivation would there be to believe it?

ciao

- viole

As I said, I am happy you made your choice. Thank you.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Not who... what - your every post about Bahaullah's writings to elevate them above the Bible.
I do not know what you mean by elevate. Certainly Baha'u'llah's Writings are more authentic than the Bible since He wrote them with His own pen and we have the original Tablets. By contrast, there is really no way we can ever know what Jesus actually said because all we have is what came by way of oral tradition, and that is unreliable.

None of the Bible was written by a Prophet or a Messenger of God, all of it was written by men speaking for God or the Prophets. I consider that problematic.
So you believe there is truth? Okay. Who has it? Or where is it found?
Spiritual truth is found in all the holy books and it was revealed by Prophets and Messengers of God.
So you interpret. Hence, it's not the case it means what you interpret it to mean. Agreed?
We have to interpret everything we read. When I said "The soul of Jesus already existed and it united with His body at the moment of conception" I was interpreting what Shoghi Effendi said about the pre-existence of Prophets in the spiritual world, which is pretty straightforward.

(96) PRE-EXISTENCE - of Prophets

The Prophets, unlike us, are pre-existent. The soul of Christ existed in the spiritual world before His birth in this world. We cannot imagine what that world is like, so words are inadequate to picture His state of being.

(Shoghi Effendi: High Endeavors, Page: 71)

Muffled

Jesus in me
Jesus spoke of two roads - one narrow, and one broad.
One leads to destruction. One leads to life Matthew 7:13, 14.

What path are you on?
Where is it leading? Is there a final destination?
Hoping @RayofLight wwill share in this discussion. :)

I already have the spiritual version of eternal life and I am on a path to the New Jerusalem and physical eternal life.