• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paths in Buddhism

Watcher

The Gunslinger
For you Buddhists out there (or anyone else who knows), what are the different paths in Buddhism. I know there is Zen and Tibetan, but what is the difference between them? I have been looking online but am only confusing myself further.:bonk: I have been learning alot about the practices and beliefs of Buddhists, but cannot find anything about the different sects of Buddhism. I think that may be on my way to converting to this religion (or philosophy). Also, is there any special "thing" (like the Christian baptism) that I would have to do to become a Buddhist?
:help: The Watcher

Lord_Vader

Please click on the below link, listen to the audios or read the articles and it will help you find your answers.

http://www.bswa.org/info/bodhinyana.php

But to help you out, Buddhism is Buddhism, the different types of buddhism simply reflect cultural factors incorprated into them. However, the buddhist principle teachings of Dhama still remain the same and that is what matters.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Watcher said:
For you Buddhists out there (or anyone else who knows), what are the different paths in Buddhism. I know there is Zen and Tibetan, but what is the difference between them? I have been looking online but am only confusing myself further.:bonk: I have been learning alot about the practices and beliefs of Buddhists, but cannot find anything about the different sects of Buddhism.

The three main branches of Buddhism are Theravada, Mahayana, and Vajrayana.

Theravada means "the teachings of the elders" and is the closest to the Buddha's original teachings. It's primarily practiced in Southeast Asia. It's ideal is the Arhant, someone who has attained enlightenment, usually by retreating from society.

Mahayana means "greater vehicle." At some point, some Buddhists were concerned that Buddhism was too removed from society and started to emphasize compassion for the suffering of others, rather than focusing on one's own enlightenment. Mahayana's ideal is the Bodhisattva, someone who postpones their own final enlightenment (parinibbana) for the sake of helping others. The name "greater vehicle" reflects this concern for others.

Mahayanists sometimes refer to Theravada as "Hinayana," meaning "lesser vehicle" but that is understandably considered to be insulting.

Mahayana Buddhism moved from India to China, and from there it spread to Korea and Japan. In China, Mahayana Buddhism merged with the Taoist influences that it found there and formed Ch'an (Zen in Japanese). Another school of Mahayana Buddhism that you might hear about is Qing Tu or Pure Land (Amida in Japanese). There are several other schools as well.

Back in India, Mahayana Buddhism was undergoing another transformation, merging with Hindu Tantric practices. This form of Buddhism moved to Tibet where it merged with the indigenous Bun religion to become Vajrayana or Tibetan Buddhism.

Where ever Buddhism goes, it has melded with local practices in order to create new forms. In the West, Buddhism has mostly been stripped of its religious aspects and turned into a philosophy/way of life.

Sadly, it hasn't fared so well in its birthplace of India. Reforms in Hinduism drew many Buddhist converts back to Hinduism. And then the Mughals invaded and wiped Buddhism out by forced conversions and/or mass murder.

Watcher said:
Also, is there any special "thing" (like the Christian baptism) that I would have to do to become a Buddhist?
:help: The Watcher

No special ritual. If you accept the essential teachings of the Buddha - the four noble truths and the 8-fold path - then you are Buddhist.

(Except me. I accept the Buddha's teachings, but don't call myself Buddhist because I am a theist and my ethics are more Christian than Buddhist.)

Hope this helps!
-lilith

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I think it is also important to point out that you don't have to follow one of these paths. Read the Buddha's teachings for yourself and decide want he meant and how to live your life. You will still be following Buddhism.

there are differences between the traditions... the teachings are mostly the same but the commentaries on the teachings are different... also the way of practicing is different... if your interested, check out a sangha in your area... ask as many questions as you can... get a feel for what they are trying to teach you... some traditions will feel more natural... that's ok... the Buddha taught for 45 years and taught many people depending on there needs... so as long as what you are studying helps you reach a more peaceful/non-violent state of mind, you are a Buddhist practitioner....we are starting to see a Western Buddhist tradition emerge that fits our own mental compositions... some web sites you might like...

http://www.shambhala.org/

www.fpmt.org

http://www.nalandabodhi.org/home.html

http://www.plumvillage.org/index.html