• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pathfinder RPG - Anyone tried it?

GabrielWithoutWings

I was in Books-A-Million the other day and noticed that the Pathfinder core books are out.

For anyone that doesn't know, Paizo publishing took the Dungeons & Dragons Open Gaming License rules and brought a series of updated rule books.

While D&D went into the realm of 4E, Pathfinder is basically D&D3.75.

Anyone played under this system?

silvermoon383

I have. If you prefer DnD 3.5 and want a similar system it works well, though from what I've heard a lot of the newer Pathfinder books are leaning more towards 3.5 instead of a more unique "3.75", but I've only used the core books so I can't speak to that.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
If you hated 3rd and 3.5, try it out; from what I understand, it's a major improvement: sort of what 3rd should have been from the start.

That said, I played the game ONCE in a game store, and didn't really care much for it, but that could have easily been to the fault of the DM rather than the game itself.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It's awesome. I've played with it for... I don't know... a couple years now? I may be a bit biased, though, because I really did not like 4th Edition D&D. 4th Edition is good at pretty much only one thing: combat. For that, it works very well. However, if I wanted a combat-based game, I'd go sit and play a video game. Nerfing everything non-combat from a tabletop system is squandering the best aspects of role-playing, IMHO.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
I play 3.5 but bend/change the rules in places to make them make more sense or a bit simpler, which Pathfinder seems to have done. Pathfinder however does subtly changes class features and some spells, I know the 3.5 class features and spells like the back of my hand so fall to them by default.