• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pat Robertson: Stroke is God's wrath

jewscout

Religious Zionist

Conservative Christian broadcaster Pat Robertson suggested that Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's stroke was divine punishment for "dividing God's land."

"God considers this land to be his," Robertson said Thursday on his TV program "The 700 Club." "You read the Bible and he says `This is my land,' and for any prime minister of Israel who decides he is going to carve it up and give it away, God says, `No, this is mine."'

Sharon, who ordered Israel's withdrawal from Gaza last year, suffered a severe stroke on Wednesday.

In Robertson's broadcast from his Christian Broadcasting Network in Virginia Beach, the evangelist said he had personally prayed about a year ago with Sharon, whom he called "a very tender-hearted man and a good friend." He said he was sad to see Sharon in this condition.

He also said, however, that in the Bible, the prophet Joel "makes it very clear that God has enmity against those who 'divide my land."'

Sharon "was dividing God's land and I would say woe unto any prime minister of Israel who takes a similar course to appease the EU (European Union), the United Nations, or the United States of America," Robertson said.

Last year, Sharon, a longtime hawk and supporter of Jewish settlements in occupied Palestinian territories, changed tack and withdrew from the Gaza Strip and some settlements in the West Bank - as the best hope for achieving a peace deal with the Palestinians.

The unilateral Israeli pullout was supported by the European Union, the United Nations, and the United States. But it was strongly opposed by many members of Sharon's right-wing Likud party, prompting the Israeli leader to quit and form a new centrist party. Some conservative Christian fundamentalists also opposed the Israeli withdrawal from territories that they believe constitute the biblical land of Israel and link to prophecies foretelling the second coming of Jesus Christ.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Maize said:
Who is really surprised the Patty made another idiotic statement? :rolleyes:
Obviously this guys quotes must rival Shrubbisms. More research is required.

EDIT: Wow, guess he's what you guys call an Ultra-Conservative.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
ChrisP said:
:confused: Who is Pat Robertson. Scratch that, he's clearly a nobody with nothing to say.
Pat Robertson is a tele-evangelist with a long history of making dire pronouncements about God's wrath descending on people that he (Pat) doesn't like. The people he doesn't like include homosexuals, liberals, non-Christians, and miscellaneous others. Recently, he foresaw God's wrath descending on Dover Pennsylvania for voting out of office the school board that supported putting Intelligent Design in the science classes. Formerlly, he has seen God's wrath descending on Orlando Florida for allowing homosexuals to congregate at Disney World. God's wrath is everywhere for Pat. And if you keep saying he's a nobody, Chris, then no doubt an earthquake will be unleased on New Zealand to punnish you. Beware the wrath of Pat! Erm, I mean the wrath of God!

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Every time there is a news article about Pat, the more I supsect (read: hope) he is making an ongoing joke that most people just haven't caught onto yet.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Jensa said:
Every time there is a news article about Pat, the more I supsect (read: hope) he is making an ongoing joke that most people just haven't caught onto yet.
I know just what you mean! Jensa, I've often wondered who writes Pat's material; whether that person isn't a former comic.

robtex

Veteran Member
I sometimes think that Robertson, and some of the ones similar to him are promoting "lone wolf behavior." Morris Dee, (a great guy to read about if you have some free time) once postulated that alot of hate-based organizations use the "lone wolf" meathod to achieved desired actions. What they do is (usually through christianty) preach hatred and emphasis somebody needs to do something in hopes someone listening, whom identifies with them will take it upon himself to act on it with an act of violence. Than the organization can say that had nothing to do with us. White supremist are speculated to have openly organized this into practice but as the person committing the action is usually killed no link can be verified between the philosophy and practice.

I don't know who came-up with the orginal term lone wolf but I do know Robertson's messages fall within the confines of the practice of it. Actually at this point do to his numerous threats (including this one) for "God inspired" terroism including his domestic terror threat on Dover he is a crimminal (under the patriot act) and a threat to national security. I find it disturbing that thousands of immigrants who have no history of violence are jailed for lengthy sentences in the interest of national security yet, an american with an never-ended barriage of "God inspired death threats" is left to run uncontested.

examples of one wolf theory:
http://dneiwert.blogspot.com/2003/02/alone-but-not-alone.html
http://www.adl.org/curtis/default.asp

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Jensa said:
:biglaugh:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I have always felt Mr. Robertson is funnier than SNL or Conan O'brian LOL.

How anyone can take him seriously is beyond me.
Only Earnest Angely can crack me up faster.

pdoel

If I promise to never have homosexual sex again, do you think God will reward me by striking down Pat Robertson?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
pdoel said:
If I promise to never have homosexual sex again, do you think God will reward me by striking down Pat Robertson?
Ah, but forgoing the luvin' will just feed into his dastardly plan! (Pat's, not God's. I'm becoming more and more convinced that, if Diety has a plan, she's keeping that guy out of the loop.)

A

angellous_evangellous

jewscout said:

Conservative Christian broadcaster Pat Robertson suggested that Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's stroke was divine punishment for "dividing God's land."

"God considers this land to be his," Robertson said Thursday on his TV program "The 700 Club." "You read the Bible and he says `This is my land,' and for any prime minister of Israel who decides he is going to carve it up and give it away, God says, `No, this is mine."'

Sharon, who ordered Israel's withdrawal from Gaza last year, suffered a severe stroke on Wednesday.

In Robertson's broadcast from his Christian Broadcasting Network in Virginia Beach, the evangelist said he had personally prayed about a year ago with Sharon, whom he called "a very tender-hearted man and a good friend." He said he was sad to see Sharon in this condition.

He also said, however, that in the Bible, the prophet Joel "makes it very clear that God has enmity against those who 'divide my land."'

Sharon "was dividing God's land and I would say woe unto any prime minister of Israel who takes a similar course to appease the EU (European Union), the United Nations, or the United States of America," Robertson said.

Last year, Sharon, a longtime hawk and supporter of Jewish settlements in occupied Palestinian territories, changed tack and withdrew from the Gaza Strip and some settlements in the West Bank - as the best hope for achieving a peace deal with the Palestinians.

The unilateral Israeli pullout was supported by the European Union, the United Nations, and the United States. But it was strongly opposed by many members of Sharon's right-wing Likud party, prompting the Israeli leader to quit and form a new centrist party. Some conservative Christian fundamentalists also opposed the Israeli withdrawal from territories that they believe constitute the biblical land of Israel and link to prophecies foretelling the second coming of Jesus Christ.

I wonder if Pat ever gets tired of making an absolute fool out of himself. :eek:

A

angellous_evangellous

pdoel said:
:biglaugh:

Eynah

angellous_evangellous said:
I wonder if Pat ever gets tired of making an absolute fool out of himself. :eek:
Does he realise what a fool he is? That what he does probably pushes away more people then it brings in?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i personally love his attack on gay people in disney land ............... i get the idea of mikey mouse sticking two fingers up at miny mouse and walking off arm-in-arm with donald ;)

*sings song "love is in the air"*

FFH

Veteran Member
Thanks Jewscout for posting this. While you are all bashing Pat Robertson, I will put in a good word FOR him. He has personally prayed for me. He prayed for my foot which had been crushed in a motorcycle accident. For about 4 months I could not walk on my foot. It was so painful that I did not want anyone touching it. I refused to see a doctor. I could not put any pressure on my foot without extreme pain. I could not stand for more than 30 seconds before it started to swell up and go numb. Ususally doctors can't do much for a broken foot anyway, so I decided to just allow it to heal by itself. The doctors could do nothing for me, I thought to myself. I knew some of the bones had been crushed and all the tissue in my foot was badly damaged and all I could think of was my friend in High school who had last his foot and leg from the knee down. I did not want to lose my foot. My foot was stiff and blue and I could not move it. It was that way for several months. The nerves were not working properly and the circulation was very poor. My foot twitched for months. It was constantly swollen and blueish and purple. It would swell up even further when I stood up within 30 seconds and it would become very painful and numb within 10 to 20 minutes. I spent all day laying in bed for about 3-4 months. One day while watching the 700 club with Pat Robertson, I noticed faith swelling up inside me. Pat and started praying for those that needed healing. He became more specific and then towards the very end of his program he mentioned there was someone who had an injury to his foot. He said he wasn't sure what had happpened but he said something had smashed my foot. I knew it was me because my 400 pound bike had smashed my foot when it got caught between my bike and a plastic car bumper at 15-20 mph. Pat prayed and said that your bones are being kintted back together. He said to "stand up and do something you could not do before". I immediately stood up and walked and was able to put pressure on my injured foot. I even thought maybe it wasn't true, I was just imagining it, so I tested it and stood on one foot, the injured foot. I was amazed and felt a feeling go through my body, from the top of my head down. I called the 800 number and told my story.

Pat prayed for my healing when no one else would.

He is not a bad man. He is a very good man. If you noticed Pat said that Ariel Sharon "was a tender hearted man and a good friend". Pat is not a mean or hateful person and neither is God. He is only trying to warn those who go against God's will. God is only trying to help us not hurt or hate us. God loves us and reproves us because of his love for us.