• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pastor Kicked Out by His Congregation Over Transphobic Church Sign

PruePhillip

I don't approve of married men having affairs (that is, going against the agreements of their marriage). But i see nothing wrong in non-monogamy that is honest.

As for the rest of these issues, I fail to see how gambling is a moral issue at all and I hope the approval rates for the others go up over time.

At one time, here in Australia, you could go to jail for gambling.
Even "two up" was a prison sentence.
The problem isn't that people are becoming immoral, for they
will tell you they ARE moral entities - the problem is that we are
busily REDEFINING what is morality.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Trump is a part of the world and Christians aren't supposed to be a part of the world so they shouldn't bother with him. But, that's using the Bible. Like I always remind the unwashed heathens, King David was no angel but he was beloved of Jehovah.

Huh..?

What religion have you become..?

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
Don't worry sir, that's not some casual throw-away line. I have been
watching this slowly develop since the 1960's.
Judaeo Christianity involves personal ethics. The new post-modernist,
Marxist morality involves corporate ethics - group think if you like. This
is not religious, it involves politics instead. That's where you get this
"transgender" business from, ie the latest "issue" that we must conform
to. Tomorrow it's going to be polygamy, and you will learn the party line
on what to say and how to think.
Hmm, that's interesting.
How have you seen cultural Marxism develop over the years?

Earthling

David Henson
Huh..?

What religion have you become..?

That one where that one guy was taken out to a place where he could see all of the kingdoms of men and Satan offered them to him, having the authority to do so, but he refused. And then they tried to make a leader of him and he ran away from them, and he told his followers that he was no part of the world so they shouldn't be part of the world. And one of his buddies wrote that Satan was the God of the world but the world was going to be destroyed and later that first guy, who was killed because the Jews were wanting a political leader to liberate them, now in heaven, destroys all of the kingdoms of men and Satan along with them so that Jehovah's kingdom can be installed?

You know . . . the one that is buried under about 1500 years of Catholic apostasy? You know the one!

Cooky

Veteran Member
That one where that one guy was taken out to a place where he could see all of the kingdoms of men and Satan offered them to him, having the authority to do so, but he refused. And then they tried to make a leader of him and he ran away from them, and he told his followers that he was no part of the world so they shouldn't be part of the world. And one of his buddies wrote that Satan was the God of the world but the world was going to be destroyed and later that first guy, who was killed because the Jews were wanting a political leader to liberate them, now in heaven, destroys all of the kingdoms of men and Satan along with them so that Jehovah's kingdom can be installed?

You know . . . the one that is buried under about 1500 years of Catholic apostasy? You know the one!

Oh, so you're a Jehovahs Witness too now. I see.

PruePhillip

Hmm, that's interesting.
How have you seen cultural Marxism develop over the years?

The collapse of what I call "economic Marxism" happened when it became
obvious that Communism had failed to deliver materially and had systematically
abused human rights (Hungarian revolution, Solzenitzen etc..)

1960's and 1970's, mostly.

But it was obvious even in the 1930's, when French workers had fought against
German workers who fought against Russian workers that revolution through
the working class might not happen. A better idea was revolution through culture.

Frankfurt School - Wikipedia

I am still thinking this through. Would like at some stage to go back and read up
on the Cultural Revolution in China. This gives some hint as to where we are
going. In China the ruling elite defined the issues, and changed them regularly
to energize the masses and maintain support.

What will be next year's Hot Button Issue?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
At one time, here in Australia, you could go to jail for gambling.
Even "two up" was a prison sentence.
The problem isn't that people are becoming immoral, for they
will tell you they ARE moral entities - the problem is that we are
busily REDEFINING what is morality.

Precisely. We are realizing that the old standards of morality are immoral and that we need to redefine what it means to be moral in a way that is more caring and more rational.

As for gambling, I find it stupid or silly, but not immoral.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Like i said, your taking two puzzle pieces and not matching them correctly.

Heres how you merge them.

God, like a parrent loves the child, but when the child disobeys, God, like the parrent judges the child.

You see? Walla. So simple.
So you throw out the idea that God is a loving god, and you take the person who's doing the judging - the pastor, in this case - to be God.

InChrist

Free4ever
Here's a question for ya; of all the "sins", why do so many Christians fixate and obsess over homosexuality? Aren't all sins equal in the eyes of god? Why does gambling, drinking, smoking, greed, dishonesty, sloth, gluttony, divorce, fornication, tattoos, etc. so often get a pass (Trump embodies many of these "sins", yet strangely enough is still admired by many Christians)? Christians seem to worry far more about other people's "sins" rather than their own. They loudly bellow that the bible is "truth", but then turn around and cherry pick the hell out of it. Strange that folk who believe in eternal damnation would be so confident that their god would abide such hypocrisy and double standards.
Very good questions and observation.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
The collapse of what I call "economic Marxism" happened when it became
obvious that Communism had failed to deliver materially and had systematically
abused human rights (Hungarian revolution, Solzenitzen etc..)

1960's and 1970's, mostly.

But it was obvious even in the 1930's, when French workers had fought against
German workers who fought against Russian workers that revolution through
the working class might not happen. A better idea was revolution through culture.

Frankfurt School - Wikipedia

I am still thinking this through. Would like at some stage to go back and read up
on the Cultural Revolution in China. This gives some hint as to where we are
going. In China the ruling elite defined the issues, and changed them regularly
to energize the masses and maintain support.

What will be next year's Hot Button Issue?
So are all communists in on this, or...?

PruePhillip

Precisely. We are realizing that the old standards of morality are immoral and that we need to redefine what it means to be moral in a way that is more caring and more rational.

As for gambling, I find it stupid or silly, but not immoral.

Quote "the old standards of morality are immoral"

That's breathtaking.
But obvious from the Gallop Poll figures.
What is happening is there is a social movement to turn every single human value on its head.

ie
love of children
commitment
saving
hard work and study
personal responsibility
no cussing, smok'n, drink'n and gambling
loyalty to country, culture, brands, spouse
no living in sin
religious duty
honesty
respectful attire
nothing rude
etc
etc
etc

they all sound funny now, don't they?

A 1988 movie Dangerous Liaisons was criticized for failing to
evoke the real sense of danger in adultery back then. Adultery
now doesn't have the same shock value. Back then it was a
death sentence.

InChrist

Free4ever
With me, I met my wife in high school, and we spent a lot of loving years together. In fact, we were best friends and were inseperable... It is only recently (the past 2 years) that she has been treating me very disrespectful. I blame her reality TV shows for making her mouthy.

...That's why I told her she's my property. It was revenge

Of course the reality is, she isn't your property, she is God's property and remembering that may help you treat her with more respect and be an example even when she is being disrespectful. Christ in us would have us respond in the Spirit...
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control... Galatians 5:22-23

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 1 Corinthians 13;4-5

InChrist

Free4ever
Don't worry sir, that's not some casual throw-away line. I have been
watching this slowly develop since the 1960's.
Judaeo Christianity involves personal ethics. The new post-modernist,
Marxist morality involves corporate ethics - group think if you like. This
is not religious, it involves politics instead. That's where you get this
"transgender" business from, ie the latest "issue" that we must conform
to. Tomorrow it's going to be polygamy, and you will learn the party line
on what to say and how to think.
Tomorrow, I think will be more than polygamy, more likely pedophilia. So sad because it is already happening.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Quote "the old standards of morality are immoral"

That's breathtaking.
But obvious from the Gallop Poll figures.
What is happening is there is a social movement to turn every single human value on its head.

ie
love of children
commitment
saving
hard work and study
personal responsibility
no living in sin
religious duty
honesty
respectful attire
nothing rude
etc
etc
etc

they all sound funny now, don't they?

Not at all. I am completely in favor of
love of children
commitment
saving
hard work and study
personal responsibility
honesty

I see
respectful attire
nothing rude

as being part of an every changing culture: what is respectful now won't be in 10 years.

I see

as a mixed bag. Loyalty to a spouse is a good thing. Loyalty to a country depends on whether the country is doing good things or not. And culture and brands are not things I think deserve loyalty.

as an atheist, I see
no living in sin
religious duty

as meaningless twaddle.

And

is beyond what is required. Moderation is the key.

A 1988 movie Dangerous Liaisons was criticized for failing to
evoke the real sense of danger in adultery back then. Adultery
now doesn't have the same shock value. Back then it was a
death sentence.

And a death sentence of having sex with someone is a cruel and immoral law. While I agree that to go against agreements in a relationship is a bad thing (one should keep promises),
the law shouldn't be involved in such. And, if the activities are acceptable within the relationship others should have no say.

In my mind, morality has to do with how people interact with other people. Are they abiding by agreements, making the lives of others happier and healthier, or are they making others miserable, failing to try to understand others, going against agreements, and being unconcerned about truth?

Such things as how one dresses are too much a matter of fashion to be a matter of morality. Countries and other institutions deserve loyalty only to the extent that they deal with people fairly, and promote well-being. As an example, if you lived in China, would you say morality requires you to be 'loyal' to the current government? I don't.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
Yes. Communists (I.e. anyone left of Mussolini) are all part of a hive mind and share a single consciousness.
Shhhhh! I know it's ridiculous, since I'm a commie myself. I was just wondering what nonsense was going to come out of PruePhillip's mouth next.
Poe's Law strikes again, I guess.

PruePhillip

I see
as a mixed bag. Loyalty to a spouse is a good thing. Loyalty to a country depends on whether the country is doing good things or not. And culture and brands are not things I think deserve loyalty.

It seems to me, maybe I am wrong, but the more fairer a society
becomes the less loyalty there is to it. I think America is a very
fair society for instance, but there are growing legions of people
who feel that it is racist, sexist, homophobic, oppressive, class
ridden, patriarchal, condescending, imperialist, hierarchical,
transgenderphobic and whatever.

What I mean by 'brands' is that once people could tell you they
were Camel cigarette, Ford motor cars, Omo brand, Coca Cola
and etc.. People were 'brand loyal' once. Does it matter? Maybe.
Does it SAY something? Yes it does.