• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Passing out Bibles - why not offer options?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
At least once a year, an organization called Gideons International descends upon my place of work - a university campus - to distribute Bibles. I'm not a fan of proselytizing in general, and this behavior sets my sensibilities askew as I think about the trees killed to make these things... most of which are probably politely taken and then immediately discarded into the trash.

The idea of passing out religious literature in of itself isn't necessarily a bad one. After passing by them today, I wondered what their response to be if I'd asked a simple question: "do you have any other religious literature? Something more my genre?" Wouldn't it be kind of cool if there were streetside literature distributors that had selections from many world religions (both theistic and non-theistic)? If someone actually offered me a choice of literature, I would stop and look. I would get excited; I'm a bibliophile. I would see an opportunity instead of an annoying streetside proselytizer. I wonder which genres would be the most popular?

If you have participated in the distribution of Bibles, what was that experience like? Whether you have or you haven't, what do you think about this idea of offering people options instead?

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
If you have participated in the distribution of Bibles, what was that experience like? Whether you have or you haven't, what do you think about this idea of offering people options instead?
This was a few years ago, when a local Christian group stood outside the local high school passing Bibles around. After I found out about it, I got a couple of guys to help pass out the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster right next to the aforementioned Christian group. We got some angry stares from the Christians, but the students seemed to enjoy it.
And as for options, that's preferable to just passing out a single book. Although not passing out any would be the best.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
At least once a year, an organization called Gideons International descends upon my place of work - a university campus - to distribute Bibles. I'm not a fan of proselytizing in general, and this behavior sets my sensibilities askew as I think about the trees killed to make these things... most of which are probably politely taken and then immediately discarded into the trash.

The idea of passing out religious literature in of itself isn't necessarily a bad one. After passing by them today, I wondered what their response to be if I'd asked a simple question: "do you have any other religious literature? Something more my genre?" Wouldn't it be kind of cool if there were streetside literature distributors that had selections from many world religions (both theistic and non-theistic)? If someone actually offered me a choice of literature, I would stop and look. I would get excited; I'm a bibliophile. I would see an opportunity instead of an annoying streetside proselytizer. I wonder which genres would be the most popular?

Hello. I would not expect the Gideon's to distribute anything but the Bible.

"The organization began in fall 1898, when two traveling salesmen, John H. Nicholson of Janesville, Wisconsin, and Samuel E. Hill of Beloit, Wisconsin, met in a hotel room they shared at the Central House Hotel in Boscobel, Wisconsin, where they discussed the formation of an association.[4][5] In May 1899, the two met again in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, where they decided the goal of their association would be to unite traveling salesmen for evangelism.[5] In July, 1899, Nicholson, Hill, and Will J. Knights met at the YMCA in Janesville.[6][5] Two of them continued with the distribution of the Bibles.[7] Gideons began distributing free Bibles, the work they are chiefly known for, in 1908, when the first Bibles were placed in the rooms of the Superior Hotel in Superior, Montana.[8]"

Gideons International - Wikipedia

It seems to me that it is up to people of other faiths to distribute their own material.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
What would they stand to gain if they offered options? In more than a few religions bringing someone inTo the fold and spreading "the truth" is not only seen as a good thing but a duty. I'd imagine Satanists would tell you to "buy your own damned book" unless they were doing it for a stunt. I'm not a fan of religious advertising myself but I do understand that for many it seems a requirement so I can just brush it off unless they get pushy and annoying, it is then that my usually calm demeanor changes into letting them know exactly where they can shove their religion and their literature.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
This was a few years ago, when a local Christian group stood outside the local high school passing Bibles around. After I found out about it, I got a couple of guys to help pass out the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster right next to the aforementioned Christian group. We got some angry stares from the Christians, but the students seemed to enjoy it.
And as for options, that's preferable to just passing out a single book. Although not passing out any would be the best.

Given the activity was disingenuous, the angry stares were deserved. I'm a fan of adding representation and diversity, and not so much a fan of mockery. I'm also a fan of education on topics of universal cultural importance, so I'd definitely prefer a cornerside book stand with selections from many world religions to nothing at all. Ignorance about religion in my culture is really bad and something like that could raise awareness.

While it would be nice to see options, I think most that hand out religious literature are convinced that what they are handing out is the One Truth™.

I could see a non-profit inter-religious education group doing a buffet style table. I haven't gotten wind of such a group doing such a thing, but it wouldn't entirely surprise me if it has been a thing somewhere.

It seems to me that it is up to people of other faiths to distribute their own material.

Hmm, the thing is... most religions outside of Christianity and Islam don't proselytize. Unless we had some sort of inter-religious education group sharing options, we won't ever see them represented. Non-organized religions in particular don't have the pull to organize such an activity.

What would they stand to gain if they offered options?

Quite a lot, IMHO. Like I said, if it was actually a table of stuff, I would stop and look. They'd actually get my attention, which they do not with their current technique. Plus, it would demonstrate an integrity and a concern for my needs that I would find very respectable. :D

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I think handing out Bibles is a good thing in the Soviet Union or North Korea.

It just isn't right in America. there are plenty of other ways that a person can get a free Bible if they simply look around around and ask.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Given the activity was disingenuous, the angry stares were deserved. I'm a fan of adding representation and diversity, and not so much a fan of mockery. I'm also a fan of education on topics of universal cultural importance, so I'd definitely prefer a cornerside book stand with selections from many world religions to nothing at all. Ignorance about religion in my culture is really bad and something like that could raise awareness.

I could see a non-profit inter-religious education group doing a buffet style table. I haven't gotten wind of such a group doing such a thing, but it wouldn't entirely surprise me if it has been a thing somewhere.

Hmm, the thing is... most religions outside of Christianity and Islam don't proselytize. Unless we had some sort of inter-religious education group sharing options, we won't ever see them represented. Non-organized religions in particular don't have the pull to organize such an activity.

Quite a lot, IMHO. Like I said, if it was actually a table of stuff, I would stop and look. They'd actually get my attention, which they do not with their current technique. Plus, it would demonstrate an integrity and a concern for my needs that I would find very respectable. :D

Hello. Well, from a Christian perspective, there are verses such as

Psalms 96:3

as well as a few in Matthew and one in Mark, etc. That is, spreading the word is seen to be an obligation.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
Given the activity was disingenuous, the angry stares were deserved. I'm a fan of adding representation and diversity, and not so much a fan of mockery.
Mockery was more or less the point. We just wanted to screw with 'em and get a good laugh outta the kids. Besides, we weren't the only ones doing it. People came out of the woodworks to show off their book(s). It was quite a spectacle, actually.
I'm also a fan of education on topics of universal cultural importance, so I'd definitely prefer a cornerside book stand with selections from many world religions to nothing at all.
That's perfectly fine, as long as they're not being dicks about it. I just want the school to stay out of it.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

As all they do is hand out Bibles to those who would like one, I don't see a problem. At restaurants in the Mall they offer food samples, in grocery stores too. In large malls you have people giving free facials, free literature etc.

But I wouldn't call all of those a proselytizing effort.

A Krishna offered me a book once at the airport. I took it!

Then again, he wasn't happy that I didn't give him money.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
I think handing out Bibles is a good thing in the Soviet Union or North Korea.

It just isn't right in America. there are plenty of other ways that a person can get a free Bible if they simply look around around and ask.
Considering the USSR had a policy of state Atheism, probably not. I'm not sure about North Korea, though.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic

Gideons have been giving out bibles since 1899. It is hardly a new venture.
You will still find Gideons bibles in a majority of hotel rooms
It has given comfort and helped save many lives.

There is nothing stopping other religions offering their holy books in a similar way.

Gideons are a Christian institution, they would have no incentive or wish to promote other religions in this way.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure

Any FSM converts?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
:shrug:
Probably not. It takes more than a group of guys handing out a book to convert someone.
At least, I hope it does.:eek:

Well perhaps a catch phrase would work, like "Hell" with flames and tomato sauce.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I got a Gideon Bible in grade 4. It was given to me during an assembly at my (public) school specifically for that purpose.

At the time, I took it as something like other educational activities, like the assembly we had on electrical safety, but more boring. At the electrical safety assembly, we got activity books featuring Zap the Safety Bird teaching us things like not to stick cutlery in wall outlets. At the Gideon assembly, we just got a book with no pictures.

Looking back as an adult, I think the whole episode was entirely inappropriate.