• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Passing around some rugelach

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Catching up on the rest of you from last night (so many friendly people here!):

Thanks for the welcome, danieldemol. ChristineM, that chocolate cake of welcome looks so good -- thank you! exchemist, you now probably know more about the history of rugelach than I do! Revoltingest, the food fight made me laugh!

Shalom, Jayhawker Soule -- I tried to make out the Hebrew calligraphy in your avatar and I didn't realize at first that the shin was cut off on the right. I think I got shin-lamed-vav for the first three letters. Not sure if that's a veis at the end. How did I do? :)

Here begineth the first lesson..

If you put an @ before a username, for example @ChristineM
The system send the user an alert to say you mentioned them.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello, everyone! I'm Rachel, I'm Jewish, and I'll try to stay sweet like rugelach (a Jewish dessert, for those unfamiliar). Just please don't bite into me! :)

I guess I'm pretty religious as I religiously (!) attend Shabbos services at my synagogue every Friday evening.

I think of myself as being tolerant and welcoming of people who are different from me. But if I should inadvertently post anything hurtful to anyone here, please let me know. Life is all about continual learning.

I hope this is okay for my first post. I feel weird talking about myself, but I'm sure you'll find out more about me with my posts.

Cheers!

-- Rachel Rugelach

Hey Rachel, welcome to RF!

What @ChristineM said is completely true. What she didn't mention is that you can use this to just randomly tag in people, who then wander in to see what's going on, only to realise they've been prodded for no particular purpose.

@Quagmire
@Snow White
@VoidCat
@Twilight Hue

See?

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Shalom, Jayhawker Soule -- I tried to make out the Hebrew calligraphy in your avatar and I didn't realize at first that the shin was cut off on the right. I think I got shin-lamed-vav for the first three letters. Not sure if that's a veis at the end. How did I do? :)
I usually avoid usurping the right of @Jayhawker Soule to reply to responses directed to him, but it gives me something to do while I search, so far in vain, for something to blast the covid congestion I can’t seem to shake.

The final letter is a final mem and you now know the word. Correct?

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
@ChristineM thanks for that tip about how to do user alerts! I just tried it out. :)

@lewisnotmiller, your addition to that tip made me laugh! It's like saying to someone: "C'mere! C'mere! I got something to show ya!" And then: "Psych!" I may try that out, but only with someone I know who would find it funny, too. :)

@RabbiO, Thanks! I kind of figured that word was supposed to be Shalom, and looking at the enlarged avatar, I can see now how part of the mem got cut on the left, same has how part of the shin got cut off on the right.

@Jayhawker Soule, thanks for that link -- very interesting!

@VoidCat and @Shaul pleased to meet you!

ajay0

Welcome to the forum , Rachel. :)

Hope I can get to taste some rugelach, the Jewish dessert you mentioned, one day. :yum:

jbg

Hello, everyone! I'm Rachel, I'm Jewish, and I'll try to stay sweet like rugelach (a Jewish dessert, for those unfamiliar). Just please don't bite into me! :)

I guess I'm pretty religious as I religiously (!) attend Shabbos services at my synagogue every Friday evening.

I think of myself as being tolerant and welcoming of people who are different from me. But if I should inadvertently post anything hurtful to anyone here, please let me know. Life is all about continual learning.

I hope this is okay for my first post. I feel weird talking about myself, but I'm sure you'll find out more about me with my posts.

Cheers!

-- Rachel Rugelach
Rachel, welcome. Thank you for introducing me here.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
Rachel, welcome. Thank you for introducing me here.

Glad you made it here, jbg! Lots of friendly and cool folks abound in this place!

Edited to add: Don't forget to introduce yourself in a thread of your own in this forum here!

Last edited:

jbg

Glad you made it here, jbg! Lots of friendly and cool folks abound in this place!

Edited to add: Don't forget to introduce yourself in a thread of your own in this forum here!
How do I start a thread? I am very confused by this board. I don't even get email notification of replies.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
How do I start a thread? I am very confused by this board. I don't even get email notification of replies.

Select the board you want to post in, and click this:

Screenshot_20221222-102751~2.png