1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Passage not being Translated Correctly

Discussion in 'Biblical Debates' started by oracle, Dec 25, 2004.

1. No*s

No*s Captain Obvious

Ratings:
    +471
    Having read the article you just posted, I can't really speak on the Hebrew grammar (for reasons stated above).

I can say that I've always took the "them" to include Adam and his descendents. No other interpretation has ever really crossed my mind either, so I'm ill-equipped to criticize this...

2. No*s

No*s Captain Obvious

Ratings:
    +471
    Oh, Oracle, I forgot one bit of advice.

When you learn Greek I would advise you not to learn one of the reconstructed pronunciations. Rather, learn the pronunciation for Modern Greek.

It has the disadvantage of rendering Ancient, Classical, and Archaic Greek nearly incomprehensible to the ears. Seriously, though, how often is a person going to discuss in Attic Greek? That's not exactly something you hear on the street.

It has the advantage of being how Greeks pronounce it today (If pronunciation were a democratic issue, they would win by millions lol). It is also how Greek is pronounced in an Orthodox Church if you should ever attend one. Because of the similarity to Modern Greek, it will seriously help you in bridging time.

The "reconstructed" and Erasmian pronunciations aren't right. We can be certain of that. The latter is more easy to show on that, while the former is a laboratory experiment. Obviously, there aren't any tape recordings of any form of Ancient Greek. Needless to say, nobody can avoid a lot of fudgework when it comes to reconstructing how anybody talked in bygone days (there are multiple "reconstructed" pronunciation schemes for any era).

It seems odd, though, that everybody focuses their pronunciation around Attic Greek. The pronunciation in the NT would have had more in common with Modern's pronunciation than with Plato's, but everyone wants to follow the Attic pronunciation. Here's a rundown of the various pronunciation schemes:

www.biblicalgreek.org/links/pronunciation.html

However, now I'm getting down off my soap box and going to go hide.

3. oracle

oracle Active Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks, I appreciate your constructive criticism. I hope I didn't seem assertive or overly confident in the endeavor to prove my case. I am always open to the fact that I could be entirely wrong. It was influenced by a sort of "Oneness" Universal theism. I am just trying to prove whether this sort of idealogy is right or wrong. Maybe I'm overly bent on trying to prove it's verity.

4. oracle

oracle Active Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Wait a minute. This just sparked something. This is probably in fact, what it is referring to when it is talking about the plural Adam. If you killed a man, it was considered that you killed off all his potential offspring, for example the story about Cain and Able. I think I remember somewhere where it uses a sort of plural variation of Able to represent this, pointing out that Cain killed off all of Ables potential offspring along with him. Or maybe it addressed this in some other fashion, I don't quite remember. I need to look this up.

5. No*s

No*s Captain Obvious

Ratings:
    +471
    I wouldn't worry about it. You discussed things, and everything worked out in the end. Believe it or not, I've had people do the same thing, but they actually and seriously believed they knew better than everyone else. Now there...I wasn't polite. You, however, were a perfect gentleman/gentlewoman.

Now on the "bloods" in place of "blood," my Old Testament studies professor at the university, Dr. Ratcliffe, said the same thing in Pentateuch and the Former Prophets. She further explained that it would be confusing for English speakers at best, so they left it in the singular *grin*.