• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parliamentary panel rejects anti-forced conversion bill amid protest by minorities’ lawmakers

danieldemol

Premium Member
What do you suggest I do about Pakistanis choosing not to pass a law banning forced religious conversion, as a U. S. Citizen with absolutely no control over my own government?
You could start by complaining about it, any pressure helps.

In my opinion.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I confess I would be a bit worried about the draft bill, particularly this part:

"A copy of the draft bill, which is available with Dawn, shows that any non-Muslim, who is not a child, and is able and willing to convert to another religion will apply for a conversion certificate from an additional sessions judge of the area where he or she is residing.

The draft law highlights that the application will have to include the name of a non-Muslim who is willing to change the religion, age and gender, CNIC number, details of parents, siblings, children and spouse (if any), current religion and the reason to convert to the new religion."

It seems there would be a whole lot of interference in any conversion. Not something I would support per se.

Althought the latter part seems just fine:

"The proposed law also awards punishment between five to 10 years and a fine from Rs100,000 to Rs200,000 to any person who uses criminal force to convert a person to another religion."
That sounds like a reasonable amendment.

In my opinion.

ajay0

Coercion of any sort cannot bring allegiance or loyalty. Such forced conversions will also bring an inferior level of spirituality as the worship if any would be out of fear and lack of rooted commitment.

Obviously it is a regressive law which should be addressed in a progressive society. But Pakistani society at present is itself terrorised by Islamic extremists and fundamentalists due to attacks upon liberals and progressive intellectuals, that I don't see any changes coming up .

The assassination of Pakistani Governor Salman Taseer who spoke against the blasphemy laws is a case in point.