• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parking dispute evidence for Muslim murder looking weak.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Turns out even the lawyer of Hicks wife isn't sure about a parking dispute, and the Muslim people murdered WERE NOT parked in the Murderers parking space on the day of the murder, seems a lot of people jumped to the conclusion it was all over a parking space, when the evidence for that just isn't there, the evidence for the suspects hatred of Islam and all religion is very strong though.

Motive Remains a Mystery in Chapel Hill Murders

Marisa

Just going off the title of the article, so long as the motive remains in question I'm going to refrain from saying it was or was not a hate crime. As an atheist, if the killer (who was an atheist) turns out to have murdered these kids because of their religion, it does me no harm to admit that. But I hate with a purple spotted passion crimes that are tried in the court of public opinion, and I refuse to play into that game.

Lyndon

Premium Member
Well this crime was tried in the court of Religious forum opinion, and overwhelmingly people accepted the Parking lot dispute hypothesis as fact, which is equally ridiculous to assuming it was a hate crime from the evidence presented.

Marisa

Well this crime was tried in the court of Religious forum opinion, and overwhelmingly people accepted the Parking lot dispute hypothesis as fact, which is equally ridiculous to assuming it was a hate crime from the evidence presented.

I know. I think the bottom line is, as the title of the article suggests, we don't really know why. Maybe we will, maybe we won't. While I don't really like the various courts of public opinion, I understand that everyone has opinions and I have no problem with people sharing them. I just don't think it does any good. :D

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

This did not happen.
The initial response was an acceptance of the likely hood that the parking dispute was the trigger, pending more information.
As opposed to the Muslim who immediately called Hicks a atheist terrorist.

I doubt that we'll ever really know. The mishmash of issues in Hicks mind plus the unreliability of memory means even the murderer is probably guessing at this point.

If, for instance, a large sum of cash had turned up missing it would have changed everything.

Tom

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It's human nature to jump to conclusions. That's why it's so hard in some cases to find a neutral jury.

Lyndon

Premium Member
Columbus,You're in denial, you need to go back and read the original thread, there were an overwhelming number of commentators who who not only accepted the parking dispute hypothesis, but actively ridiculed the possibility that it might be a hate crime.

Marisa

I'm guessing this thread on RF was before I became a member (though many lively debates took place on my facebook feed). Which forum was it in? I might like to read it.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Columbus,You're in denial, you need to go back and read the original thread, there were an overwhelming number of commentators who who not only accepted the parking dispute hypothesis, but actively ridiculed the possibility that it might be a hate crime.

I think you are mistaking "accept as hypothesis" and "accept as fact".
Frankly I still see the strongest indicator that he turn himself in. That doesn't jibe with hate crime in my mind. But I am not claiming to know.

Tom

Reactions: gsa

Akivah

The way I recall it, is that we were saying that didn't know what this guy's motive was. Now based on this linked article three weeks after the shooting, I agree that the murders don't look to have anything to do with parking. I hope they convict him of murder and if the state can prove a hate crime, they should increase his penalty.

gsa

Turns out even the lawyer of Hicks wife isn't sure about a parking dispute, and the Muslim people murdered WERE NOT parked in the Murderers parking space on the day of the murder, seems a lot of people jumped to the conclusion it was all over a parking space, when the evidence for that just isn't there, the evidence for the suspects hatred of Islam and all religion is very strong though.

Motive Remains a Mystery in Chapel Hill Murders

Except that no one claimed it was an existing parking dispute that led to the murders on that day. They were pointing to a preexisting conflict.

The religious motivation makes less sense, given his support for Ground Zero mosque and religious liberty. One can hate religion without hating people who practice it, just like you can hate Islam without hating Muslims.

Lyndon

Premium Member
The way I recall it, is that we were saying that didn't know what this guy's motive was. Now based on this linked article three weeks after the shooting, I agree that the murders don't look to have anything to do with parking. I hope they convict him of murder and if the state can prove a hate crime, they should increase his penalty.

Another article in the news stated that prosecutors are asking for the death penalty, even though North Carolina has a moratorium on carrying out the death penalty at present.

Lyndon

Premium Member
Except that no one claimed it was an existing parking dispute that led to the murders on that day. They were pointing to a preexisting conflict.

The religious motivation makes less sense, given his support for Ground Zero mosque and religious liberty. One can hate religion without hating people who practice it, just like you can hate Islam without hating Muslims.

This is exactly the type of comment I was referring to.

gsa

This is exactly the type of comment I was referring to.

I have no idea what you mean. Your assumption is that he killed these people because he was an atheist and anti-theist, which is pure bigotry on your part.

Servant_of_the_One1

Iam glad that the fake Parking excuse is out of the picture. This was clearly shameful attempt to hide the real motive: terrorism against three muslim youth

Lyndon

Premium Member
I have no idea what you mean. Your assumption is that he killed these people because he was an atheist and anti-theist, which is pure bigotry on your part.

Rubbish, my assumption is that most likely he killed them, because not only did he have a parking dispute with them, but just like you appear to, he also appears to have a hatred of Muslims.

gsa

Rubbish, my assumption is that most likely he killed them, because not only did he have a parking dispute with them, but just like you appear to, he also appears to have a hatred of Muslims.

What makes you think I hate Muslims?

Lyndon

Premium Member
On thing for sure he obviously did not kill them because he loves and respects Muslims.