• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parasitic Bacteria in You - Groundwater, Dogs, Cats

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
But don't worry, they're friendly.

Ultra-Small, Parasitic Bacteria Found in Groundwater, Dogs, Cats — And You

Parasitic-Bacteria-Concept.gif

Inside your mouth right now, there is a group of bacteria whose closest relatives can also be found in the belly of a moose, in dogs, cats, and dolphins, and in groundwater deep under the Earth’s surface. In a stunning discovery, scientists have found that these organisms have adapted to these incredibly diverse environments—without radically changing their genomes.
TM7 and other ultra-small, parasitic bacteria within CPR may play important roles in health and disease that we have yet to discover. Since they act as parasites—living with and killing other bacteria—TM7 could change the overall microbiome by modulating the abundance of bacteria, McLean said. Scientists are just scratching the surface of understanding how much our microbiome impacts our overall health.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Whether good, or bad, I'm pretty sure they can't survive in your mouth following a good shot a tequila or two.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Inside your mouth right now, there is a group of bacteria whose closest relatives can also be found in the belly of a moose, in dogs, cats, and dolphins, and in groundwater deep under the Earth’s surface. In a stunning discovery, scientists have found that these organisms have adapted to these incredibly diverse environments—without radically changing their genomes.
TM7 and other ultra-small, parasitic bacteria within CPR may play important roles in health and disease that we have yet to discover. Since they act as parasites—living with and killing other bacteria—TM7 could change the overall microbiome by modulating the abundance of bacteria, McLean said. Scientists are just scratching the surface of understanding how much our microbiome impacts our overall health.
Finally a path to immortality for humans! All we need to do with mess with these bacteria, right?

Daemon Sophic

Finally a path to immortality for humans! All we need to do with mess with these bacteria, right?
Not by a long shot. People who take broad-spectrum antibiotics can kill off all of their micro-biome, effectively sterilizing their own intestines. Things get very messy and very deadly for those unfortunate people. :eek::(

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Not by a long shot. People who take broad-spectrum antibiotics can kill off all of their micro-biome, effectively sterilizing their own intestines. Things get very messy and very deadly for those unfortunate people. :eek::(
Goodness I only meant that we could tweak them into making us immortal. Yeah definitely I agree with you about not killing them off. We should soup them up to detect and attack viruses, clean our teeth, give us fresh breath.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Whether good, or bad, I'm pretty sure they can't survive in your mouth following a good shot a tequila or two.

There are over 6 billion bacteria made up of more than 700 different species living in your mouth. Most of them very hardy to live in the acid environment of saliva. Tequila may make your mouth feel better (note the may) but it will have little effect on your passengers.

Brushing twice a day is more effective at reducing the bad guys

Mindmaster

Premium Member

You have more symbiotic bacteria in your body than your own cells. It's hilarious, but we could argue that it's THEY, not YOU, that is the organism and you're the parasite. There are 3-10 times as many bacteria running around in your body as there are human cells. But, you do need them... You can't even digest certain food without them. They even have the ability to trigger your hunger for certain types of food. (Yes, they even control your mind to a degree.) There has been some research in regard to mental issues being related to your biome being defective, and some have reported their conditions resolved once they were restored.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
You have more symbiotic bacteria in your body than your own cells. It's hilarious, but we could argue that it's THEY, not YOU, that is the organism and you're the parasite.
If they were purely parasites then we could live without them, but they are more like paying customers or RF site admins.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Well im a biological community anyways so all beneficial parasites and viruses are welcome here.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
I think that many of them should be considered ‘symbiotic’ rather than ‘parasitic’. ;)
Parasitism is a type of symbiosis. They are likely commensalistic or mutualistic. Either they benefit and we are unaffected or there is some shared benefit.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
There are over 6 billion bacteria made up of more than 700 different species living in your mouth. Most of them very hardy to live in the acid environment of saliva. Tequila may make your mouth feel better (note the may) but it will have little effect on your passengers.

Brushing twice a day is more effective at reducing the bad guys
Still, I think maybe he is onto something. I had a lengthy discussion with my good friend Rita this last weekend. Whether tequila did the job or not, I enjoyed visiting with her.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Still, I think maybe he is onto something. I had a lengthy discussion with my good friend Rita this last weekend. Whether tequila did the job or not, I enjoyed visiting with her.

About time you exchanged some bacteria, even if the little passengers were drunk