• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parashat HaShavuah

CMike

We have a very exciting Torah portion.

The Ten Commandments with be given and Moshe's father in law advises him to set up a leadership system.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
What's interesting is that most Christians and others that I have run across when dealing with this don't realize that there's a lot more than the first Ten that goes beyond the tablets. Secondly, I wonder how many of them don't realize that the Sabbath is not Sunday?

Anyhow, you folks have a great Shabbos.

metis

Here's a question for you: does "do not bear false witness against thy neighbor" just apply to a court situation or does it also apply to misrepresenting what someone has said or done in any area? I have long tended to think it's the latter, but some of you that are more familiar than I am with Talmud may be able to possibly correct me on this.

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
Love the idea of this thread. I remember trying to start something similar a few years back...

Although, admitably I have been studying less Torah lately and have been spending more of my "spiritual learning" time on Eastern religions (I'm absolutely in love with the Bhagavad Gita right now lol) - I will no doubt find great use in this thread, and will try to contribute in the future.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
What's interesting is that most Christians and others that I have run across when dealing with this don't realize that there's a lot more than the first Ten that goes beyond the tablets. Secondly, I wonder how many of them don't realize that the Sabbath is not Sunday?
I strongly object to using this thread - in this DIR - to take potshots at Christians (who are not allowed to debate the demeaning comments).

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur

Anyhow, you folks have a great Shabbos.

Hey Metis, this is a very interesting theme that it would be neat to discuss further. I think the heart of interfaith studies is comparative religion, and I believe that is what you are alluding to.

Last edited:

Avi1001

Here's a question for you: does "do not bear false witness against thy neighbor" just apply to a court situation or does it also apply to misrepresenting what someone has said or done in any area? I have long tended to think it's the latter, but some of you that are more familiar than I am with Talmud may be able to possibly correct me on this.

I agree, it applies to any area. And I think the notion goes beyond bearing false witness to speaking falsely, and beyond ones neighbor to all mankind.

Avi1001

Love the idea of this thread. I remember trying to start something similar a few years back...

Although, admitably I have been studying less Torah lately and have been spending more of my "spiritual learning" time on Eastern religions (I'm absolutely in love with the Bhagavad Gita right now lol) - I will no doubt find great use in this thread, and will try to contribute in the future.

Hey, punkd, cool new avatar ! I have been following your posts and it looks like you have become a true HinJuBu :). Please keep sharing your thoughts and your journey.

Tumah

Veteran Member

As far as I know it refers specifically to a witness in court. Regular lying is dealt a little bit later in Ex. 23:7. Also, Lev. 19:11.

CMike

I find it interesting that it says that 6 days you will work and the 7th day you shall rest.

It seems to be a commandment to work for 6 days based on this.

metis

Hey Metis, this is a very interesting theme that it would be neat to discuss further. I think the heart of interfaith studies is comparative religion, and I believe that is what you are alluding to.

Exactly, and there's many items within many other faiths that I'm sure I have either no clue about or only a very limited understanding.

metis

I agree, it applies to any area. And I think the notion goes beyond bearing false witness to speaking falsely, and beyond ones neighbor to all mankind.

It's seems logical to me that this might be what is intended since "bearing false witness" can certainly be a significant problem both in or out of a courtroom, however it might be just limited to a court.

dantech

We all know this verse...
Exodus 21:18-19
And if men quarrel, and one strikes the other with a stone or with a fist, and he does not die but is confined to [his] bed, if he gets up and walks about outside on his support, the assailant shall be cleared; he shall give only [payment] for his [enforced] idleness, and he shall provide for his cure.

Discuss...

metis

We all know this verse...
Exodus 21:18-19

Discuss...

To me, this probably deals with our Sinai experience whereas we had no jails or prisons, and the offending man left alone would probably die, which would be too harsh a penalty.

At least that's my impulsive reaction.

Tumah

Veteran Member
The Ba'al HaTurim says that verse 19 starts and ends with the letter alef, to allude to the fact that G-d sends suffering to a person, and decreed that the suffering should be in that time and place.

dantech

The Ba'al HaTurim says that verse 19 starts and ends with the letter alef, to allude to the fact that G-d sends suffering to a person, and decreed that the suffering should be in that time and place.

I don't understand how the verse starting and ending with alef alludes that God sends suffering to a person, and decreed...