• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parashat HaShavuah

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
At some point I'd love to see a parashat hashavuah thread, and it seems that we now have (or will soon have) the numbers and mix that might make such a thread (or threads) possible. Any thoughts?

dantech

May I suggest, write up your thoughts on this week's so we could get things started regardless of how we end up doing it.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
May I suggest, write up your thoughts on this week's so we could get things started regardless of how we end up doing it.

Actually, I ran a class on Bo this morning. It's far from my favorite parasha, partially because the plagues have been worked to death. On the other hand - as one might expect from the Exodus narrative - Bo lends itself to a wealth of commentary as we watch plagues of increasing darkness give rise to the slaughter of the first-born and a people charged with serving as a light among nations.

But for me the more challenging lens through which to read Exodus 10-11 is that provided by Job and Exodus 4:18-23.
"God, said to them: 'My creations are drowning and you are singing before me?'" The angels had every right to respond: "Yes, but it was you who set them up to die much as you enabled the death of Job's family"

In my opinion, Zornberg's "The Particulars of Rapture: Reflections on Exodus" should be required reading for those who would take seriously the questions posed by our liberation narrative.

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
But for me the more challenging lens through which to read Exodus 10-11 is that provided by Job and Exodus 4:18-23.
"God, said to them: 'My creations are drowning and you are singing before me?'" The angels had every right to respond: "Yes, but it was you who set them up to die much as you enabled the death of Job's family"

In my opinion, Zornberg's "The Particulars of Rapture: Reflections on Exodus" should be required reading for those who would take seriously the questions posed by our liberation narrative.

Please provide a citation for the translation. Live links are preferred.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Avi, I believe that I'll be best served by putting you on my ignore list.

שָׁבוּעַ טוֹב ...

CMike

He's right.

If you cite something it would be nice to have a link to it so we can look at it ourselves.

Tumah

Veteran Member
This sounds like a nice idea.

I just wish I was half as well-read and well-written as you guys are, to be able to post something coherent.

Levite

Higher and Higher
I would definitely be in favor of a parshat hashavua thread.

My wife and I were just discussing the parshah yesterday, and she pointed out the parallelism between what Paro says in 10:28 (השמר לך אל־תסף ראות פני כי ביום ראתך פני תמות) "Take care that you do not see my face again, because on the day you see my face you shall die," with what Hashem says in 33:20 (לא תוכל לראת את־פני כי לא־יראני האדם וחי) "You cannot see My face, for a human cannot see Me and live;" the clear implication being that Paro is using language as though he were a god, strengthening the arrogance and outrageousness of his actions.

I noted that panim seems to often be used to represent something either of essential nature (as in when Hashem uses it in 33:20, since it obviously cannot be literal) or to convey presence with a sense of remoteness, as sometimes is used both by Hashem or by mortal kings in the Tanach, but also as it reminded me in Menachot 29a, when Moshe Rabbenu confronts Hashem about the martyrdom of Rabbi Akiva, saying זו תורה וזו שכרה?! ("This is Torah and this its reward?!") only to have Hashem respond שתוק. כך עלה במחשבה לפני. ("Silence yourself. This is how the matter arose in design before Me."), an extraordinarily peculiar circumlocution, packed full of potential meanings, yet seeming to imply a sense of disconnection in the very act of God's taking of responsibility.

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
Here is a link to this weeks Parsha in a Nutshell on the Chabad website:

Bo in a Nutshell - Bo - Parsha

It is interesting to me that this is where the tradition of Tefillin presumably started.

I also note that this is where mention is made of a "lunar calendar". This is a very interesting issue because the present Jewish calender is a hybrid lunar/solar. Does anyone know when this changed ?

Last edited:

CMike

The Rabbi gave an interesting Dvar Torah/sermon.

He said that one of the reason for darkness was so that G-D could kill the jews who were pagans and wanted to stay Egypt. He didn't want the egyptians to see this.

I forgot the commentator(s) that the rabbi quoted.

So the question is why did these jews warrant death?

Shabbos there was also an aufruf so he tied that into being married.

He said that during a marriage when there is love you can forgive many things. G-D was in sort of a marriage with the jewish people.

However, these jews didn't want to be part of the marriage so their sins were punished instead of tolerated.

dantech

All great points.
Did you realize that the numerical value of Bo is 3? Which is equivalent to the amount of makot that were left.

Also. Why "BO" and not "LEKH" el paro did Hashem go with Moses?