• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

questfortruth

Can God create stone, which He can not lift?
Answer: no, Omnipotent One can not make
such stone because it is suicide. Latter is sin.
Any sin is an act of non-existence.
Because sin is emptiness, the absence of
any meaning. Thus, God of Existence and living
does only existent actions. The satan [evil spirit of
non-existence and death] does the non-existent
doings only: he is the father of sin. For example,
the industry of smoking gives us cancer cases.
It serves the evil authorities to depopulate the
planet.

PureX

Veteran Member
For we limited humans, paradox is commonplace. I don't see the significance of it except to point our that we are limited humans.

Yazata

Can God create stone, which He can not lift?

I personally think that the paradox reveals a fundamental contradiction in the concept of omnipotence. It's perhaps related to the other paradoxes of self-reference, such as the liar paradox and perhaps some set-theoretical things.

Answer: no, Omnipotent One can not make
such stone

So he wouldn't seem to be omnipotent. There's something he can't do: create such a stone.

because it is suicide. Latter is sin.
Any sin is an act of non-existence.
Because sin is emptiness, the absence of
any meaning.

Suicide? I don't understand your point there.

Thus, God of Existence and living
does only existent actions.

Yes, I think think that the typical response to this conundrum by those who want to preserve the traditional divine attributes is to try to argue that there is some logical problem with imagining a task that God can't do. Assuming that God can do anything, it would be impossible by definition for there to be such a task. And (so the argument goes) God's omnipotence only extends to his being able to do anything that's possible. Inability to do impossible tasks arguably doesn't count against his omnipotence.

But I'm not persuaded by that line of argument.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
Can God make stone, that can't lift?
Sure. He can simply choose to be unable to lift it, and thereby be unable to lift it. The "paradox"is resolved by choice. :)

Can God choose to not be God? We don't know. Because we don't know what it means to be "God".

PureX

Veteran Member
I meant Christian God. Can Christian God vanish?
Again, we don't know. It's almost a semantic question, based more on the definitions of the terms then on logical reasoning.

When is a car not a car? When it's a truck? See what I mean. It's just a matter of relative labels. We could ask the same question about God existing. What does it even mean to say that the source, sustenance, and purpose of all that exists, exists? Exists, how? Especially if God exists prior to and apart from everything else that is existing?

I think the problem is that we humans can't comprehend an omni-God well enough to even ask the right questions. Let alone get the right answers. God may be paradoxical, but it's mostly to us. It's our shortcoming in understanding causing the paradox. Not God's existential impossibility.