• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Papillons Premiere Thread & Riddle 4 Board.

Papillon.

You like Einstein & Newton all believe the Earth revolves around the Sun, and the Moon revolves around the Earth. The Moon takes 29 days to make a complete rotation around the Earth, at some point during this cycle the Moon will have to pass between the Sun & the Earth, 14.5 days the Moon will be close to and facing the Sun and 14.5 days the Moon will be shieled by the Earth away from the Sun.

Here comes the riddle, pay close attention because it may seem alittle tricky, but it really isn't. We have the Sun, the big giant Sun, and the Earth which always has one side of its sphere facing the giant Sun and the other half of its sphere facing the stars. The Moon will travel around both these spheres in 29 days and start all over again, the riddle is, why do we still see the Moon at night when the Moon reaches the sunny side of Earth's sphere?

Remember the Sun is the big shiny thing that makes daylight.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Because the path of the moon's orbit is not always the same. Looking at the Earth as a static reference point, the moon orbits at an angle (it doesn't orbit the equator of the Earth).

Papillon.

Because the path of the moon's orbit is not always the same. Looking at the Earth as a static reference point, the moon orbits at an angle (it doesn't orbit the equator of the Earth).

Because the path isn't the same?

The duration is, the new moon takes place between the Earth and the Sun, the riddle remains; how could you see it at sunset after the part of the Earth were you live has revolved and is no longer facing the Sun, but the moon which takes days to get around the Earth is also seen at night?

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Not the same as in it's not on the same plane. I'm not communicating very well... nevermind.

camanintx

The duration is, the new moon takes place between the Earth and the Sun, the riddle remains; how could you see it at sunset after the part of the Earth were you live has revolved and is no longer facing the Sun, but the moon which takes days to get around the Earth is also seen at night?

Since tonight is a full moon, why don't you step outside around midnight and let us know if you can see the Moon.

Khale

why do we still see the Moon at night when the Moon reaches the sunny side of Earth's sphere?

I might be reading your riddle incorrectly, but we don't see the Moon at night when it reaches the sunny side of Earth's sphere. That is what the new moon phase is. A complete lack of silver-white moonage.

Papillon.

Since tonight is a full moon, why don't you step outside around midnight and let us know if you can see the Moon.

I hope we are not getting off on the wrong foot, tonight is the new moon phase, but regardless, click on any web link for certification.

Papillon.

I might be reading your riddle incorrectly, but we don't see the Moon at night when it reaches the sunny side of Earth's sphere. That is what the new moon phase is. A complete lack of silver-white moonage.

Ah you're so cute!

Here's a clue to help you, the waning crescent and the waxing crescent are at opposite sides of the new moon, and therefore next to the Sun also, they too should never be seen at night either. But just like mathematic riddles that make you go hmm, this one is as simple and as tricky!

Good luck.

camanintx

Ah you're so cute!

Here's a clue to help you, the waning cresent and the waxing cresent are at opposites of the new moon, and therefore next to the Sun also, they too should never be seen at night either. But just like mathematic riddles that make you go hmm, this one is as simple and as tricky!

Good luck.

You do realize that from almost any point on the Earth you can see half of the sky, so the Moon doesn't have to be completely behind the Earth to see it at night?

Khale

Here's a clue to help you, the waning cresent and the waxing cresent are at opposites of the new moon, and therefore next to the Sun also, they too should never be seen at night either. But just like mathematic riddles that make you go hmm, this one is as simple and as tricky!
Why should they not be seen? They are next to the sun not directly in it's path. Come nightfall you should be able to see their crescent just fine.

Papillon.

A tip for the riddler's, answer the following question by clicking on the link, add triple (w)-dot: paganinstitute.org/images/Astronomy/lunar_orbit&phases.jpg

Now, if you live on the part of the planet were the word Earth is written, will you be able to see the waxing crescent or even the waning gibbous?

If you answered no, you are close to cracking the riddle, if you answered yes, stare at the link alittle longer.
And remember, science tells us that the Earth spins on her axis every 24 hrs, don't forget this.

camanintx

A tip for the riddler's, answer the following question by clicking on the link below, add triple (w)-dot: paganinstitute.org/images/Astronomy/lunar_orbit&phases.jpg

Now, if you live on the part of the planet were the word Earth is written, will you be able to see the waxing crescent or even the waning gibbous?

If you answered no, you are close to cracking the riddle, if you answered yes, stare at the link alittle longer.
And remember, science tells us that the Earth spins on her axis every 24 hrs, don't forget this.

With the Earth spinning on her axis every 24 hours, do you think anyone standing on the part of the planet where the word Earth is written would stay there very long? Besides, the waxing crescent and waning gibbous phases, like the new moon, are seen mostly during daylight hours.

Papillon.

With the Earth spinning on her axis every 24 hours, do you think anyone standing on the part of the planet where the word Earth is written would stay there very long? Besides, the waxing crescent and waning gibbous phases, like the new moon, are seen mostly during daylight hours.

Camanintx this is a great web site add it to you're favorites, it keeps track of the Moon around the Earth, and the Earth vis a vis the Sun, if you see the Moon at night when its supposed to be seen in the day, you'll know the answer to the riddle, don't take my word, see for yourself.

http
://jove.geol.niu.edu/faculty/stoddard/JAVA/moonphase.html

camanintx

Camanintx this is a great web site add it to you're favorites, it keeps track of the Moon around the Earth, and the Earth vis a vis the Sun, if you see the Moon at night when its supposed to be seen in the day, you'll know the answer to the riddle, don't take my word, see for yourself.

http
://jove.geol.niu.edu/faculty/stoddard/JAVA/moonphase.html

Since the Moon is visible for about 16 hours each day due to it's orbit and Earth's rotation, it will always be visible during part of the day and part of the night so I don't see what your riddle is.

Complete Sun and Moon Data for One Day

Papillon.

Since the Moon is visible for about 16 hours each day due to it's orbit and Earth's rotation, it will always be visible during part of the day and part of the night so I don't see what your riddle is.

Wow, you ask tough questions, ""Since the Moon is visible for about 16 hours each day due to it's orbit and Earth's rotation, it will always be visible during part of the day and part of the night"" if the Moon is in between the Sun and the Earth like during this phase, how is it that you can see it without the Sun at night?

Remember the Moon moves alittle slower around the Earth's axis, it take 29 days to make a full rotation.

camanintx

Wow, you ask tough questions, ""Since the Moon is visible for about 16 hours each day due to it's orbit and Earth's rotation, it will always be visible during part of the day and part of the night"" if the Moon is in between the Sun and the Earth like during this phase, how is it that you can see it without the Sun at night?

Remember the Moon moves alittle slower around the Earth's axis, it take 29 days to make a full rotation.

On June 3rd, when the Moon was between the Sun and the Earth, where I am the sun rose at 6:21 AM and set at 8:19 PM while the Moon rose at 5:49 AM and set at 8:42 PM. That means I was able to view a new Moon for half an hour before night ended and half an hour after night began. You tell me how that works.

Papillon.

On June 3rd, when the Moon was between the Sun and the Earth, where I am the sun rose at 6:21 AM and set at 8:19 PM while the Moon rose at 5:49 AM and set at 8:42 PM. That means I was able to view a new Moon for half an hour before night ended and half an hour after night began. You tell me how that works.

According to science the new Moon is at 0 degrees or the noon day sun position, when the Earth spins on her axis and is turning towards the Sun counterclock, you begin to first see the Sun and eventually the new Moon. For when the sun sets, first the Moon should set followed by the Sun, the times and date you mentioned are obviously looked up and you did not make the observation yourself to witness if its true.

camanintx

According to science the new Moon is at 0 degrees or the noon day sun position, when the Earth spins on her axis and is turning towards the Sun counterclock, you begin to first see the Sun and eventually the new Moon. For when the sun sets, first the Moon should set followed by the Sun, the times and date you mentioned are obviously looked up and you did not make the observation yourself to witness if its true.

If you pay attention to the animation you linked to earlier, you will notice that the Moon orbits in the same direction that the Earth rotates. Since the Earth rotates faster than the Moon orbits, the direction the Moon moves from our perspective on Earth is opposite from the direction it is really going. That means on a new Moon, the Moon rises before the Sun in the morning, passes the sun at Noon, and sets after the Sun in the evening, just as the times I listed show. Does this solve the riddle you had?