• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paper against Darwinism. Peer-reviewed.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
From working at a university where I come into regular contact with Ph.D's in evolutionary biology, and from time to time attending seminars on the research.

Basically what @Subduction Zone said - Darwin's ideas were a starting point and the field has changed significantly since then. Modern evolutionary biology is not "Darwinism" and that's not how evolutionary biologists refer to their own field. One of the most exciting newer frontiers I've caught wind of lately is a reckoning between ecology and evolution - finally an accounting for how organisms engineer their environments and are not mere passive recipients in the selection process. I dunno when I'm going to find the time to dig into that literature... :oops:
Then why do I still read them saying Darwin and Darwinism and Darwinian?
And Natural Selection does allow for organisms modifying their environment. Darwin wasn't an idiot, and there is no real selection or choice. It's how the environment effects the course of evolution. And it's undeniable that it happens. But that doesn't mean organisms can't or don't change their environment. To varying degrees we all do.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And Natural Selection does allow for organisms modifying their environment. Darwin wasn't an idiot, and there is no real selection or choice. It's how the environment effects the course of evolution. And it's undeniable that it happens. But that doesn't mean organisms can't or don't change their environment. To varying degrees we all do.
That is sometimes used in popular science articles, but very rarely in peer reviewed journals.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Old habits die hard? Small cultural differences between academic institutions? Beats me, but it isn't talked about that way in the life science department at my university and I don't see it crop up in the peer reviewed literature much either, except maybe when referencing historical stuff. You'll have to find the answer to this question yourself. Ask the folks who used the term why they used it.

In any case, not sure why you're arguing with me on the rest of that stuff. I mention a cool new frontier in evolutionary biology and I get jumped on about it? Sheesh! :sweat:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
No one is making clams against Darwin. The explanations have gotten deeper and more thorough since his time. That is the way of all sciences.
I would say claiming he isn't indispensable today is going in that direction. That's like saying Newton or Einstein isn't indispensable.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Old habits die hard? Small cultural differences between academic institutions? Beats me, but it isn't talked about that way in the life science department at my university and I don't see it crop up in the peer reviewed literature much either, except maybe when referencing historical stuff. You'll have to find the answer to this question yourself. Ask the folks who used the term why they used it.

In any case, not sure why you're arguing with me on the rest of that stuff. I mention a cool new frontier in evolutionary biology and I get jumped on about it? Sheesh! :sweat:
Lay people often do not understand how science advances. When they think gravity they think Newton. Almost none of them think Einstein. When it comes to evolution it is going to be Darwin and fossils, though Darwin hardly relied on fossils at all. Very very few of them think of DNA, though that is where the strongest evidence for evolution exists today. And of course DNA was long after Darwin.

AdamjEdgar

Very very few of them think of DNA, though that is where the strongest evidence for evolution exists today.

oh I would be careful with that blanket statement...in fact it is now being shown by authors such as Behee, Myer, Jeanson, Kurt Wise and many others within the YEC scientific community that the opposite is increasingly being found to be true (particularly the research by the first 3 in the above list). Jeansons human genome research is highlighting some massive issues for evolutionary theories...his evidence shows that the interpretations fed to the world in the past on this topic is fundamentally at odds with the very science presented to us previously. one of the significant issues that evolutionists face with Jeasons research is that it supports the biblical locations and timelines for the spread of humanity across the globe. That is as problematic for the evolutionary community as was the discovery of the background radiation by Wilson and Penzias on 20th May 1964. This supported the biblical account...and remains one of its strongest pieces of evidence for a Creator God who spoke everything into existence from a point of singularity.

throw into the bucket the huge miscalculations of radiometric dating on the rock samples from known volcanic events such as Mt St Hellens, the problems with the Cambrian explosion in the fossil record, and a number of other significant issues, and the theory is on very shakey ground. That is the real reason why I suspect the term "Darwinian" has faded from view in the scientific community!

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
oh I would be careful with that blanket statement...in fact it is now being shown by authors such as Behee, Myer, Jeanson, Kurt Wise and many others within the YEC scientific community that the opposite is increasingly being found to be true (particularly the research by the first 3 in the above list). Jeansons human genome research is highlighting some massive issues for evolutionary theories...his evidence shows that the interpretations fed to the world in the past on this topic is fundamentally at odds with the very science presented to us previously.
If you want to cite people that get it amazingly wrong.

But please note. My post was about the general public. Not professional liars.

AdamjEdgar

If you want to cite people that get it amazingly wrong.

But please note. My post was about the general public. Not professional liars.

then lets talk facts shall we...

Contrary to what is generally believed, it is not just a matter of measuring the amount of potassium-40 and argon-40 in a volcanic rock sample of unknown age, and calculating a date. Unfortunately, before that can be done, we need to know the history of the rock. For example, we need to know how much ‘daughter’ was present in the rock when it formed. In most situations we don’t know since we didn’t measure it, so we need to make an assumption—a guess. It is routinely assumed that there was no argon initially. We also need to know whether potassium-40 or argon-40 have leaked into, or out of, the rock since it formed. Again, we do not know, so we need to make an assumption. It is routinely assumed that no leakage occurred. It is only after we have made these assumptions that we can calculate an ‘age’ for the rock. And when this is done, the ‘age’ of most rocks calculated in this way is usually very great, often millions of years. The Mount St Helens lava dome gives us the opportunity to check these assumptions, because we know it formed just a handful of years ago, between 1980 and 1986.

In June of 1992, Dr Austin collected a 7-kg (15-lb) block of dacite from high on the lava dome. A portion of this sample was crushed and milled into a fine powder. Another piece was crushed and the various mineral crystals were carefully separated out.3 The ‘whole rock’ rock powder and four mineral concentrates were submitted for potassium-argon analysis to Geochron Laboratories of Cambridge, MA—a high-quality, professional radioisotope-dating laboratory. The only information provided to the laboratory was that the samples came from dacite and that ‘low argon’ should be expected. The laboratory was not told that the specimen came from the lava dome at Mount St Helens and was only 10 years old.

the results ranged from 340,000 to 2.8 million years! Why? Obviously, the assumptions were wrong, and this invalidates the ‘dating’ method. Probably some argon-40 was incorporated into the rock initially, giving the appearance of great age. Note also that the results from the different samples of the same rock disagree with each other.

It is clear that radioisotope dating is not the ‘gold standard’ of dating methods, or ‘proof’ for millions of years of Earth history. When the method is tested on rocks of known age, it fails miserably. The lava dome at Mount St Helens is not a million years old! At the time of the test, it was only about 10 years old.

Table 1. Potassium-argon ‘ages’ for whole rock and mineral concentrate samples from the lava dome at Mount St Helens (from Austin1).
Sample Age / millions of years
1 Whole rock 0.35 ± 0.05
2 Feldspar, etc. 0.34 ± 0.06
3 Amphibole, etc. 0.9 ± 0.2
4 Pyroxene, etc. 1.7 ± 0.3
5 Pyroxene 2.8 ± 0.6

Radio-Dating in Rubble

Might i also add, Mt St Hellens Volcano is not the only test site where these kinds of wrong results have been found...there are other Volcanoes around the world which erupted at very precisely known dates that have also been tested producing the same kinds of dating errors.

Now one can crow all they like, the fact is, attempting to date anything using methods that have zero means of actually proving that the variables surrounding the samples have remained stable and or predictable over millions of years is nothing short of a lie. Also, might i add at this point, does anyone ever question the problem surrounding the big bang...any answer to the question "where did the energy and matter come from that was the big bang? How did it start...did someone poke it?

when millions of years in inserted into the orgin of the big bang issue, where the known answer even from Stephen Hawking was, we dont know...im think the naives ones here are not the creationists!

Irrespective of whether or not the radioactive decay rate is accurate, here are at least three problems:
1. no one has been alive long enough and or conclusively documented what the historical ratios of the parent isotopes actually were even 6,000 let alone 4.54 billion years ago

2. when looking at the hour glass analogy, one must assume that the quantity of daughter isotopes is actually what the predetermined assumption claims. This is in itself a massive massive problem, as has been shown by the errant results in dating of a number of relatively recent volcanic eruptions

3. We know that it doess not take much variation in environmental conditions to change the assumptions and therefore resultant calculations by a huge margin.

Last edited:

GardenLady

(1) The idea that a "tree" is not a useful an accurate metaphor is not new and does not mean that evolutionary theory is incorrect. (2) Evolutionary theory moved beyond Darwin a long time ago. But then you've been old that over and over and over.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
then lets talk facts shall we...

Contrary to what is generally believed, it is not just a matter of measuring the amount of potassium-40 and argon-40 in a volcanic rock sample of unknown age, and calculating a date. Unfortunately, before that can be done, we need to know the history of the rock. For example, we need to know how much ‘daughter’ was present in the rock when it formed. In most situations we don’t know since we didn’t measure it, so we need to make an assumption—a guess. It is routinely assumed that there was no argon initially. We also need to know whether potassium-40 or argon-40 have leaked into, or out of, the rock since it formed. Again, we do not know, so we need to make an assumption. It is routinely assumed that no leakage occurred. It is only after we have made these assumptions that we can calculate an ‘age’ for the rock. And when this is done, the ‘age’ of most rocks calculated in this way is usually very great, often millions of years. The Mount St Helens lava dome gives us the opportunity to check these assumptions, because we know it formed just a handful of years ago, between 1980 and 1986.

In June of 1992, Dr Austin collected a 7-kg (15-lb) block of dacite from high on the lava dome. A portion of this sample was crushed and milled into a fine powder. Another piece was crushed and the various mineral crystals were carefully separated out.3 The ‘whole rock’ rock powder and four mineral concentrates were submitted for potassium-argon analysis to Geochron Laboratories of Cambridge, MA—a high-quality, professional radioisotope-dating laboratory. The only information provided to the laboratory was that the samples came from dacite and that ‘low argon’ should be expected. The laboratory was not told that the specimen came from the lava dome at Mount St Helens and was only 10 years old.

the results ranged from 340,000 to 2.8 million years! Why? Obviously, the assumptions were wrong, and this invalidates the ‘dating’ method. Probably some argon-40 was incorporated into the rock initially, giving the appearance of great age. Note also that the results from the different samples of the same rock disagree with each other.

It is clear that radioisotope dating is not the ‘gold standard’ of dating methods, or ‘proof’ for millions of years of Earth history. When the method is tested on rocks of known age, it fails miserably. The lava dome at Mount St Helens is not a million years old! At the time of the test, it was only about 10 years old.

Table 1. Potassium-argon ‘ages’ for whole rock and mineral concentrate samples from the lava dome at Mount St Helens (from Austin1).
Sample Age / millions of years
1 Whole rock 0.35 ± 0.05
2 Feldspar, etc. 0.34 ± 0.06
3 Amphibole, etc. 0.9 ± 0.2
4 Pyroxene, etc. 1.7 ± 0.3
5 Pyroxene 2.8 ± 0.6

Radio-Dating in Rubble

Now one can crow all they like, the fact is, attempting to date anything using methods that have zero means of actually proving that the variables surrounding the samples have remained stable and or predictable over millions of years is nothing short of a lie. Also, might i add at this point, does anyone ever question the problem surrounding the big bang...any answer to the question "where did the energy and matter come from that was the big bang? How did it start...did someone poke it?

when millions of years in inserted into the orgin of the big bang issue, where the known answer even from Stephen Hawking was, we dont know...im think the naives ones here are not the creationists!
Please, don't refer to known liars. Steve Austin has a PhD in geology, yet he makes errors that an undergrad would not make. He knew how he was being dishonest when he dated the Mt. Ste. Helens eruptions.

He knows that lay people like you have no idea of how one avoids errors in dating.

Young-Earth Creationist 'Dating' of a Mt. St. Helens Dacite: The Failure of Austin and Swenson to Recognize Obviously Ancient Minerals

"Considering that the half-life of potassium-40 (40K) is fairly long (1,250 million years, McDougall and Harrison, 1999, p. 9), the K-Ar method cannot be used to date samples that are much younger than 6,000 years old (Dalrymple, 1991, p. 93). A few thousand years are not enough time for 40Ar to accumulate in a sample at high enough concentrations to be detected and quantified. Furthermore, many geochronology laboratories do not have the expensive state-of-the-art equipment to accurately measure argon in samples that are only a few million years old. Specifically, the laboratory personnel that performed the K-Ar dating for Austin et al. Specifically, personnel at Geochron Laboratories of Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA, performed the K-Ar dating for Austin et al. This laboratory no longer performs K-Ar dating. However, when they did, their website clearly stated in a footnote that their equipment could not accurately date rocks that are younger than about 2 million years old ("We cannot analyze samples expected to be younger than 2 M.Y."; also see discussions by Bartelt et al.). With less advanced equipment, 'memory effects' can be a problem with very young samples (Dalrymple, 1969, p. 48). That is, very tiny amounts of argon contaminants from previous analyses may remain within the equipment, which precludes accurate dates for very young samples. For older samples, which contain more 40Ar, the contamination is diluted and has insignificant effects. Considering the statements at the Geochron website and the lowest age limitations of the K-Ar method, why did Austin submit a recently erupted dacite to this laboratory and expect a reliable answer??? Contrary to Swenson's uninformed claim that ' Dr Austin carefully designed the research to counter all possible objections', Austin clearly demonstrated his inexperience in geochronology when he wasted a lot of money using the K-Ar method on the wrong type of samples."

Did you read that? The lab that he used informed people that they could not accurately date any sample younger than 2 million years. Any date less than two million years from them is effectively zero.

There are rock strata with annual layers. Very similar to tree rings. For example the Green River Formation alone has 5 million annual layers:

Green River Formation - Wikipedia

Creation "geologists" all have to be either liars or know so little that they would not even pass a high school geology class.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
read the name of Journal. It is respected journal. The best journal.
Read the title: "Darwin wrong."
Evolution: Charles Darwin was wrong about the tree of life

Darwin was wrong in describing only a pattern of simple, direct descent. The genetic exchanges are, in fact, a great deal more complex, convoluted and and multi factoral.
None of this information was known in Darwin's day. He was wrong inasmuch as his model was overly simplistic, due to scant data at the time. His principles of descent with modification and natural selection were correct, just not as detailed as we know them to be today.

So... not wrong in the sense you imply.

AdamjEdgar

Please, don't refer to known liars. Steve Austin has a PhD in geology, yet he makes errors that an undergrad would not make. He knew how he was being dishonest when he dated the Mt. Ste. Helens eruption
Steve Austin is but one scientist who found significant issues (and the arguments used against him do not address the dilemmas I placed at the very end of my last post BTW...you have ignored those...

so moving on... here's more problems...

Some information from the book Uranium Geochemistry, Mineralogy, Geology provided by Jon Covey gives us evidence that fractionation processes are making radiometric dates much, much too old. Geology contributing author Massimo Cortini cites a very interesting anomaly regarding the U 238 decay chain, which is U-238, U-234, Th-230, Ra-226, Rn-222, Po-218 Po-214, Po-210, Pb-210, Bi-210, Pb-206. The half life of U-238 is 4.47 x 10^9 years and that of Ra-226 is 1.6 x 10^3 years. Thus radium is decaying 3 million times as fast as U-238. At equilibrium, which should be attained in 500,000 years for this decay series, we should expect to have 3 million times as much U-238 as radium to equalize the amount of daughter produced. Cortini says geologists discovered that ten times more Ra-226 than the equilibrium value was present in rocks from Vesuvius. They found similar excess radium at Mount St. Helens, Vulcanello, and Lipari and other volcanic sites. The only place where radioactive equilibrium of the U-238 series exists in zero age lavas is in Hawiian rocks. Thus instead of having 1/(3 million) as much radium as uranium, which we should expect, there is ten times as much, or 1/(300,000) times as much radium as uranium.

We need to consider the implications of this for radiometric dating. How is this excess of radium being produced? This radium cannot be the result of decay of uranium, since there is far too much of it. Either it is the result of an unknown decay process, or it is the result of fractionation which is greatly increasing the concentration of radium or greatly decreasing the concentration of uranium. Thus only a small fraction of the radium present in the lava (at most 10 percent) is the result of decay of the uranium in the lava.

I think we can build a strong case for fictitious ages in magmatic rocks as a result of fractional cystallization and geochemical processes. As we have seen, we cannot ignore geochemical effects while we consider geophysical effects. Sialic (granitic) and mafic (basaltic) magma are separated from each other, with uranium and thorium chemically predestined to reside mainly in sialic magma and less in mafic rock.

The real radiomatric dating methods are often very badly behaved, and often disagree with one another as well as with the assumed ages of their geological periods. It would really be nice if geologists would just do a double blind study sometime to find out what the distributions of the ages are. In practice, geologists carefully select what rocks they will date, and have many explanations for discordant dates, so it's not clear how such a study could be done, but it might be a good project for creationists. There is also evidence that many anomalies are never reported.

I really feel ``bullish'' about the creationist model now. Evolution has always been in trouble. I now have a good explanation for where the flood water came from and where it went, based on water trapped inside the crust (however the planet formed or was created). And now radiometric dating has had its foundation removed from under it. I suspect that a number of geologists now realize the implications of what they know about the lead and uranium content of subducted oceanic plate versus crustal material and the mechanics of magma solidification. What it means is that radiometric dates have no necessary relation to true ages! (For this I'm mainly concerned with the geologic column of Cambrian and above.)

More Bad News for Radiometric Dating

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Steve Austin is but one scientist who found significant issues (and the arguments used against him do not address the dilemmas I placed at the very end of my last post BTW...you have ignored those...

so moving on... here's more problems...

Some information from the book Uranium Geochemistry, Mineralogy, Geology provided by Jon Covey gives us evidence that fractionation processes are making radiometric dates much, much too old. Geology contributing author Massimo Cortini cites a very interesting anomaly regarding the U 238 decay chain, which is U-238, U-234, Th-230, Ra-226, Rn-222, Po-218 Po-214, Po-210, Pb-210, Bi-210, Pb-206. The half life of U-238 is 4.47 x 10^9 years and that of Ra-226 is 1.6 x 10^3 years. Thus radium is decaying 3 million times as fast as U-238. At equilibrium, which should be attained in 500,000 years for this decay series, we should expect to have 3 million times as much U-238 as radium to equalize the amount of daughter produced. Cortini says geologists discovered that ten times more Ra-226 than the equilibrium value was present in rocks from Vesuvius. They found similar excess radium at Mount St. Helens, Vulcanello, and Lipari and other volcanic sites. The only place where radioactive equilibrium of the U-238 series exists in zero age lavas is in Hawiian rocks. Thus instead of having 1/(3 million) as much radium as uranium, which we should expect, there is ten times as much, or 1/(300,000) times as much radium as uranium.

We need to consider the implications of this for radiometric dating. How is this excess of radium being produced? This radium cannot be the result of decay of uranium, since there is far too much of it. Either it is the result of an unknown decay process, or it is the result of fractionation which is greatly increasing the concentration of radium or greatly decreasing the concentration of uranium. Thus only a small fraction of the radium present in the lava (at most 10 percent) is the result of decay of the uranium in the lava.

I think we can build a strong case for fictitious ages in magmatic rocks as a result of fractional cystallization and geochemical processes. As we have seen, we cannot ignore geochemical effects while we consider geophysical effects. Sialic (granitic) and mafic (basaltic) magma are separated from each other, with uranium and thorium chemically predestined to reside mainly in sialic magma and less in mafic rock.

The real radiomatric dating methods are often very badly behaved, and often disagree with one another as well as with the assumed ages of their geological periods. It would really be nice if geologists would just do a double blind study sometime to find out what the distributions of the ages are. In practice, geologists carefully select what rocks they will date, and have many explanations for discordant dates, so it's not clear how such a study could be done, but it might be a good project for creationists. There is also evidence that many anomalies are never reported.

I really feel ``bullish'' about the creationist model now. Evolution has always been in trouble. I now have a good explanation for where the flood water came from and where it went, based on water trapped inside the crust (however the planet formed or was created). And now radiometric dating has had its foundation removed from under it. I suspect that a number of geologists now realize the implications of what they know about the lead and uranium content of subducted oceanic plate versus crustal material and the mechanics of magma solidification. What it means is that radiometric dates have no necessary relation to true ages! (For this I'm mainly concerned with the geologic column of Cambrian and above.)

More Bad News for Radiometric Dating
Sorry, I already showed you that Steve Austin is not a credible source. I do not need to refute any more of his lies.

There are countless sources that show your myths to be false. There is no scientific evidence for your beliefs. The Earth is old and YEC's refuse to even try to find evidence for their beliefs. All that they can do is to lie about others.

There is no creation model. They lied to you. What is their model? What reasonable test, based upon its own predictions could show it to be wrong?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Oh what the heck. @AdamjEdgar your source only waves its hands and does not explain how that the processes they claim would change radiometric dates. Worse yet at best that argument would only apply to whole rock dating, and it would still be wrong when using Pb/Pb dating. Pb/Pb dating gives us the original amount of lead in a sample. Fractionalization does not affect it:

Lead–lead dating - Wikipedia.

But today whole rock.dating is not used nearly as often.Single crystal dating is used quite often if not most of the time. And changing mixtures does not change the make up of individual crystals. The most common crystal to date are zircon crystals. And due to its chemical formula we know its initial amount of lead. It is zero. Zircon is a crystal that has no lead in it on formation. It would exclude lead from its crystal structure. How old was that article? It can't be that old. They lied to you again because they know that their followers know nothing about radiometric dating.