• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pantheism

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Perfect sense. I agree completely.

I still don't see what he's objecting to, though.

I think he thinks it's weird that the term "theism" is part of "pantheism" seeing as how there really is no theism involved. I've wondered about that myself.

I think we just have to accept that terms mean what people use them to represent, and not always what they started out meaning or what the etymology would lead us to believe.

Pantheism, is for most pantheists a non-theistic doctrine. That is what the term is generally used to represent these days, even though at other times, the understandings of it were a bit different.

We can fight the tide of language usage, but it might be a losing battle.

We can make up terms that we feel are more accurate or appropriate, but we can't force the general population to adopt them. Time will tell which terminology wins out.

Some people may have issues with any "god" concept,and feel they must personally distance themselves from anything that might be construed to suggest they believe in such a higher power. We all have to choose labels we can live with and are comfortable sharing.

Language is powerful, and I fully understand people's wanting to be careful with it.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
I love nature and science. It's fascinating. I'm in awe just stepping outside to feel the sun on my face and the breeze in my hair. But I don't see the universe as being loving or benevolent. I don't see intentions behind natural events like rainbows or earthquakes. Nature (the parts that humans haven't yet touched) is more cruel than kind but I'm sheilded from it by a roof over my head, steril food and water, and the extinction of our predetors.