1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pantheism & Atheism

Discussion in 'Pantheism-Panentheism DIR' started by The Sum of Awe, Jul 18, 2015.

1. George-ananda

George-ananda Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,119
    Religion:
    Advaita and Spiritualist and Pantheist
    Hmmm....the eastern/Hindu/Advaita pantheism was to be excluded from this discussion? I wasn't aware of that. Odd that I got a 'Like' from the OP person.

2. Bunyip

Bunyip pro scapegoat

Ratings:
    +1,522
    Religion:
    Not religious
    George, Advaita and pantheism are different concepts. That is all I was saying. I did not exclude anything - I just pointed out that it was a different topic.

Furthermore Advaita does not posit that consciousness is primary anyway -Advaita is non-dual, consciousness and matter are one.

3. Bunyip

Bunyip pro scapegoat

Ratings:
    +1,522
    Religion:
    Not religious
    It's just 'Advaita' George, not 'Advaita pantheism'.
    Advaita and pantheism are similar, but not equivalents.

4. idav

idav Being
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,302
    Religion:
    Pantheist
    I believe they are the samE. Consiousness is material and material is aware individually. Consciousness is when the individuality falls away and you are aware of things including the self is a thing to be aware of.

I do have some ideas about the primacy, I see reality like data and knowledge of that data is awareness. I think it is part of the essence of existence itself.

I dont think you would normally hear an atheist saying existence knows stuff but the primacy of it is another issue. I do think its a fundamental aspect in existence.

I am not sure emergent would be the right term. Life was already on the planet when it came about. We are just guessing at what is alive and as a pantheist i think there is more alive than we normally realize or are willing to categorize in science as life.

Advaita and pantheism i think agree a lot. I don't see the divergence you see, i would think the universe would never bring about consciousness in order for me to be atheist.

• Like Like x 2
  5. George-ananda

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,119
    Religion:
    Where does this notion come from? Where does material awareness come from?

In Advaita, I view it like this. Only consciousness is real/the fundamental ground on which all this acts. The universe is a temporary play/drama of consciousness in which consciousness separates Himself from Himself and then returns Himself to Himself. Matter is just temporary stage props in this play.

So, consciousness as we think of it is the infinite consciousness experiencing through finite limiting forms in this play. These limited consciousnesses will eventually figure out their source and the play has a happy ending:).

6. idav

idav Being
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,302
    Religion:
    Pantheist
    The idea i have is like in our brain a cell having awareness and it taking the billions of cells with different pieces of information in some sort of oneness of the data and real-time memory that creates the streamed consciousness. i beleive the rest of reality is like that. As you break it down i think the awareness doesnt stop at cells, there is an inherent awareness due to super symetry in space and time.

7. George-ananda

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,119
    Religion:
    Does it have awareness? or does it just transmit information to non-physical consciousness that does the experiencing?

you lose me there

8. idav

idav Being
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,302
    Religion:
    Pantheist
    The hurdle is oneness which is overcome by the default state of things and being one requires the syncing of the data from multiple simultaneous sources not just data transmitted. The materialistic answer to awareness would allow to build a machine with true self awarreness . This should still be possible either way even if awareness is default because awareness regardless is thought to be imbedded in the fabric of reality. I say that what you say is true but differ in the mechanics. I think awareness is a product of the god like attributes of the universe, like being eternal in potential and omnipresence is what is spelled out when general relativity keeps passing all the tests and quantum mechanics shows evidence of it as well.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ella S.

Ella S. Vulcan

Ratings:
    +759
    Religion:
    Rationalism
    If somebody were to ask me what my religion was, I would probably tell them that I am an atheist. I am a metaphysical naturalist and a physicalist, and most people would not consider the philosophies I adhere to religions. This is more-or-less what people are asking about when they ask that question.

However, I do study and adhere to Stoic philosophy, which includes a form of naturalistic pantheism. Indeed, I often slip into talking about God in this way and the concept of God plays an important philosophical role in Stoicism, but it essentially reduces to a personification of a deterministic universe.

I would say that pantheism itself is a form of nontheism. Some pantheists are also monotheists or panpsychists, some might be polytheists, but there are some, like me, who are atheists.

There is a lot of conflation in this thread between pantheism, monotheism, and panpsychism, but these are technically three separate concepts with different meanings, in my opinion.

10. Balthazzar

Balthazzar Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Religion:
    Christian Evolutionist
    I think there might be a misrepresentation in definitions and terms. I'm a panentheist, so I'm a brother of at least a similar feather. I'm also an evolutionist, so in that aspect I'm a lot like an atheist. You bring up divinity. Well, atheist would be no less as atheists. I think we sometimes build ourselves up in comparisons, but in the end, there's not much difference between anyone, aside from perception and perspectives. I myself, use the "en" in pantheism as a yet to be in the expansion of our universe. We're not much different, and yes I see everything as divine, yet naturally so. Even cats and dogs. Go figure ..