• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pancake Day

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
This year Shrove Tuesday (otherwise known as pancake day) is next Tuesday, February 25th.

A traditional British (and most commonwealth countries) celebration held the day preceding Ash wednesday where British pancakes are served for breakfast.

Here is a recipe for great (and foolproof) british pancakes.

Makes 12 pancakes?

8oz plain flour
2 large eggs
1 (imperial) pint of fresh, full cream milk (2.5 cups/1.25 US pints)
1 tablespoon of sunflower oil, vegetable or melted butter plus extra for frying
A pinch salt

Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl.
Make a well in the flour and break in the eggs.
Mix well until smooth.
Add half the milk and the melted butter) oil and a little salt
Mix well.
Stir in the remaining milk
Set aside for 15 minutes minimum, (i leave mine in the fridge overnight)

Add a little butter or oil to a frying pan, as it heats coat the pan completely, heat until smoking hot.
Give a gentle stir to the pancake mix before pouring a ladle full of the mix into the hot pan, swill it about so it evenly and thinly coats the base of the pan.
Cook until the mix is set and golden on the bottom.
Use a spatula to flip the pancake
(If you are brave you can try tossing it in the air and catching it, uncooked side down)
However you flip it cook that side for about 30 seconds

Slide the pancake from the pan onto a warm plate. Cover the plate with a tea towel to keep warm. Continue as above until all the batter is used up.

Traditionally they are served sprinkled with sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice. But you can use whatever you fancy, jam (jelly/confiture), golden syrup, maple syrup, honey, chocolate spread, grated or cream cheese and ham, smoked salmon...

Enjoy
Oh I love pancake day. I don’t know if this is still a thing, but at my primary school, they used to cook pancakes for pancake day just before school started. You’d usually have to give a gold coin donation to whatever charity they were raising funds for. But it was so worth it. Also doubled as a way to ensure kids were getting breakfast.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Oh I love pancake day. I don’t know if this is still a thing, but at my primary school, they used to cook pancakes for pancake day just before school started. You’d usually have to give a gold coin donation to whatever charity they were raising funds for. But it was so worth it. Also doubled as a way to ensure kids were getting breakfast.

Nice. A gold coin though...
All we ever got at primary school was 1/3 of a pint of milk until the government stopped finding it. And school dinners that were not fit for purpose.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Nice. A gold coin though...
All we ever got at primary school was 1/3 of a pint of milk until the government stopped finding it. And school dinners that were not fit for purpose.
Well it was for a good cause. The go to fundraising cause was the Children’s Hospital foundation. Pancake day, or a random sausage sizzle was the other one. And it’s not like if you couldn’t find a gold coin you weren’t allowed to eat. Usually you’d borrow from a friend or quietly let the teacher know if you couldn’t “afford” it.
School dinners? Whoa what kind of tuck shop did you guys have?
I mean after the government introduced the healthy laws or whatever, it did kind of suck since we weren’t allowed to buy lollies anymore. Though we had a corner shop just down the road so all it ended up doing was depriving the poor tuck shop of some of its profits. Though that was when I was in high school. Thankfully. I’d be crushed if my primary school tuck shop had to stop selling its highly popular giant Choc Chip Cookie.

Last edited:

ChristineM

Premium Member
Well it was for a good cause. The go to fundraising cause was the Children’s Hospital foundation. Pancake day, or a random sausage sizzle was the other one. And it’s not like if you couldn’t find a gold coin you weren’t allowed to eat. Usually you’d borrow from a friend or quietly let the teacher know if you couldn’t “afford” it.
School dinners? Whoa what kind of tuck shop did you guys have?
I mean after the government introduced the healthy laws or whatever, it did kind of suck since we weren’t allowed to buy lollies anymore. Though we had a corner shop just down the road so all it ended up doing was depriving the poor tuck shop of some of its profits. Though that was when I was in high school. Thankfully. I’d be crushed if my primary school tuck shop had to stop selling its highly popular giant Choc Chip Cookie.

It was the gold bit that got me, coins are no problem but gold coins are wow...

It was a village school, no tuck shop, school meals brought in from a central kitchen over 20 miles away. Ever had fish, overcooked at 9am the put in a thermos tray to be 8 or 10 th on the list for delivery. Then stored in a warm oven until lunchtime? Not the most appetising thing to eat ;-). But the boiled potatoes were always boiled mush.

Senior school was a little better, still no tuck shop but the food was cooked on site.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
It was the gold bit that got me, coins are no problem but gold coins are wow...

It was a village school, no tuck shop, school meals brought in from a central kitchen over 20 miles away. Ever had fish, overcooked at 9am the put in a thermos tray to be 8 or 10 th on the list for delivery. Then stored in a warm oven until lunchtime? Not the most appetising thing to eat ;-). But the boiled potatoes were always boiled mush.

Senior school was a little better, still no tuck shop but the food was cooked on site.
Uhh how much do you think a gold coin is? Because in Australian currency a gold coin is a dollar or alternatively a 2 dollar coin, which is weirdly smaller than the 1 dollar coin. I never understood that.

Oh sounds umm yeah, no thanks lol
Our tuck shop had mostly pies and pizza pockets. Equally cheap and reheated from frozen, but I guess in comparison is much better. Yikes!

ChristineM

Premium Member
Uhh how much do you think a gold coin is? Because in Australian currency a gold coin is a dollar or alternatively a 2 dollar coin, which is weirdly smaller than the 1 dollar coin. I never understood that.

Oh sounds umm yeah, no thanks lol
Our tuck shop had mostly pies and pizza pockets. Equally cheap and reheated from frozen, but I guess in comparison is much better. Yikes!

A gold sovereign is valued over £300.

But the british pound coin has a gold coloured edge
Pound_coin_front.png

Us brits had it rough in my day ;)

ChristineM

Premium Member
Whoa!!

I’ll say. They didn’t also make you eat gruel, did they? That would complete the Dickensian picture you could paint.

Being raised in Lancashire we had Lancashire potato hash once a month. Not quite gruel (very nice when prepared properly) but thrown together in the remote school kitchen it probably tasted similar.

It was unfortunate that i hit school at about the same time as massive cuts in funding. School meals were hit particularly hard.

A few years ago chef Jamie Oliver began a campaign to improve school meals and was successful to a large extent.

Things have improved considerably but still nothing to match what my kids get here in France. A chef prepared 5 course meal served with wine (watered of course). The idea is to teach children how to appreciate dining, it's an integral part of the curriculum.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Being raised in Lancashire we had Lancashire potato hash once a month. Not quite gruel (very nice when prepared properly) but thrown together in the remote school kitchen it probably tasted similar.

It was unfortunate that i hit school at about the same time as massive cuts in funding. School meals were hit particularly hard.
Potato hash eh? Heh, sounds like an interesting thing to give to kids ;)

It’s always the kids that suffer from those stupid budget cuts.

A few years ago chef Jamie Oliver began a campaign to improve school meals and was successful to a large extent.

Oh I remember that. Wasn’t there a bunch of parents who threw temper tantrums when Jaime told them to stop feeding their kids crap?
I mean as a kid, sure I ate crap. (Though I feel like our food is less processed in general than other countries. *cough* America *cough*)
But we had healthy options. Especially after our government tried to limit sugar intake at schools.

Things have improved considerably but still nothing to match what my kids get here in France. A chef prepared 5 course meal served with wine (watered of course). The idea is to teach children how to appreciate dining, it's an integral part of the curriculum.
Well that’s France for you. Also damn that is hella impressive. Wish I went to school in France!

ChristineM

Premium Member
Potato hash eh? Heh, sounds like an interesting thing to give to kids ;)

It’s always the kids that suffer from those stupid budget cuts.

Oh I remember that. Wasn’t there a bunch of parents who threw temper tantrums when Jaime told them to stop feeding their kids crap?
I mean as a kid, sure I ate crap. (Though I feel like our food is less processed in general than other countries. *cough* America *cough*)
But we had healthy options. Especially after our government tried to limit sugar intake at schools.

Well that’s France for you. Also damn that is hella impressive. Wish I went to school in France!

Hash is a wonderful heartwarming dish on cold winters days, i don't know nor do i want to know how it was prepared at school but i am seriously considering making a pan full this weekend?

I think Jamie's School meal campaign went quite well, i didn't hear of any serious backlash. There was trouble when he went to America's fattest city Huntington, West Virginia, to try and educate them on healthy eating. He failed miserably.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Hash is a wonderful heartwarming dish on cold winters days, i don't know nor do i want to know how it was prepared at school but i am seriously considering making a pan full this weekend?
upload_2020-2-26_0-27-42.gif

I think Jamie's School meal campaign went quite well, i didn't hear of any serious backlash. There was trouble when he went to America's fattest city Huntington, West Virginia, to try and educate them on healthy eating. He failed miserably.

That’s probably what I’m thinking of. There was an episode I caught where Jaime was distraught that this kid was eating nothing but junk food and clearly suffering. But the parents fought against him. But I could have sworn it took place in Britain. Something about constant fish and chips.

ChristineM

Premium Member
View attachment 37409

That’s probably what I’m thinking of. There was an episode I caught where Jaime was distraught that this kid was eating nothing but junk food and clearly suffering. But the parents fought against him. But I could have sworn it took place in Britain. Something about constant fish and chips.

Could be, i didn't watch it all. The american one was a diet of burgers and fries