• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pancake Day

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
This year Shrove Tuesday (otherwise known as pancake day) is next Tuesday, February 25th.

A traditional British (and most commonwealth countries) celebration held the day preceding Ash wednesday where British pancakes are served for breakfast.

Here is a recipe for great (and foolproof) british pancakes.

Makes 12 pancakes?

8oz plain flour
2 large eggs
1 (imperial) pint of fresh, full cream milk (2.5 cups/1.25 US pints)
1 tablespoon of sunflower oil, vegetable or melted butter plus extra for frying
A pinch salt

Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl.
Make a well in the flour and break in the eggs.
Mix well until smooth.
Add half the milk and the melted butter) oil and a little salt
Mix well.
Stir in the remaining milk
Set aside for 15 minutes minimum, (i leave mine in the fridge overnight)

Add a little butter or oil to a frying pan, as it heats coat the pan completely, heat until smoking hot.
Give a gentle stir to the pancake mix before pouring a ladle full of the mix into the hot pan, swill it about so it evenly and thinly coats the base of the pan.
Cook until the mix is set and golden on the bottom.
Use a spatula to flip the pancake
(If you are brave you can try tossing it in the air and catching it, uncooked side down)
However you flip it cook that side for about 30 seconds

Slide the pancake from the pan onto a warm plate. Cover the plate with a tea towel to keep warm. Continue as above until all the batter is used up.

Traditionally they are served sprinkled with sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice. But you can use whatever you fancy, jam (jelly/confiture), golden syrup, maple syrup, honey, chocolate spread, grated or cream cheese and ham, smoked salmon...

Enjoy

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
This year Shrove Tuesday (otherwise known as pancake day)
I was not aware of this. How come we Jews don't have a pancake day? We have so many other food-based holidays...on second thought, maybe that's the answer. We eat too much as it is...:D
Anyway, mind blown at the concept.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I was not aware of this. How come we Jews don't have a pancake day? We have so many other food-based holidays...on second thought, maybe that's the answer. We eat too much as it is...:D

Give them a try...

exchemist

Veteran Member
I believe it comes from the idea of using up all the good things in a feast before the rigours of the 40 days of Lent, which begins the following day and commemorates the 40 days fasting of Jesus in the wilderness. As with Jewish practice (?), the sabbath days are not part of the 40, so you get a day off every Sunday.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
This year Shrove Tuesday (otherwise known as pancake day) is next Tuesday, February 25th.

A traditional British (and most commonwealth countries) celebration held the day preceding Ash wednesday where British pancakes are served for breakfast.

Here is a recipe for great (and foolproof) british pancakes.

Makes 12 pancakes?

8oz plain flour
2 large eggs
1 (imperial) pint of fresh, full cream milk (2.5 cups/1.25 US pints)
1 tablespoon of sunflower oil, vegetable or melted butter plus extra for frying
A pinch salt

Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl.
Make a well in the flour and break in the eggs.
Mix well until smooth.
Add half the milk and the melted butter) oil and a little salt
Mix well.
Stir in the remaining milk
Set aside for 15 minutes minimum, (i leave mine in the fridge overnight)

Add a little butter or oil to a frying pan, as it heats coat the pan completely, heat until smoking hot.
Give a gentle stir to the pancake mix before pouring a ladle full of the mix into the hot pan, swill it about so it evenly and thinly coats the base of the pan.
Cook until the mix is set and golden on the bottom.
Use a spatula to flip the pancake
(If you are brave you can try tossing it in the air and catching it, uncooked side down)
However you flip it cook that side for about 30 seconds

Slide the pancake from the pan onto a warm plate. Cover the plate with a tea towel to keep warm. Continue as above until all the batter is used up.

Traditionally they are served sprinkled with sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice. But you can use whatever you fancy, jam (jelly/confiture), golden syrup, maple syrup, honey, chocolate spread, grated or cream cheese and ham, smoked salmon...

Enjoy

Will have to try that version first but I might have to experiment with some and fold in a couple of whipped egg whites like meringue, makes a big difference in texture of Belgian waffles, worth the extra effort Imo.

Jedster

On Pancake day when I was at college in the last century, those of us that lived in the quadrangle showed would squirt water over those passing through. Many a good friendship was tarred.

images

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
On Pancake day when I was at college in the last century, those of us that lived in the quadrangle showed would squirt water over those passing through. Many a good friendship was tarred.

images
It was also last millennium.

Last millennium!

Jedster

It was also last millennium.

Last millennium!

I lived there in 1968 and squirted a girl who just had her hair bouffanted, as was the style then. I knew her and her boyfriend. Both of them freaked out on me.
upload_2020-2-23_20-48-19.jpeg

exchemist

Veteran Member

images
At my school, we had a Shrove Tuesday tradition by which the cook had to toss a pancake over a bar, high up across the school hall, while selected representatives of each class in the school were lined up beneath. When the pancake descended, whoever was able to grab the biggest handfuls of it (as determined by a chemical balance brought in from the science labs for the purpose) would be "given" a golden guinea by the Dean of Westminster Abbey. (This would be taken back and used again next year of course). This imbecile - but quite funny - custom went by the name of "The Greaze". English public schools are full of this sort of crap. I pity the cook: it must be a nightmare assignment, in front of the whole school, too. I never saw him mess it up. I have visions of the poor bugger practicing late into the night for weeks beforehand - no idea if he did or not, though.

Last edited:

ChristineM

Premium Member
Will have to try that version first but I might have to experiment with some and fold in a couple of whipped egg whites like meringue, makes a big difference in texture of Belgian waffles, worth the extra effort Imo.

Belgian waffles are too stodgy, the idea is a thin, light pancake