• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas denounces the Holocaust as ugliest crime humanity has known

Ravi500

The Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas has denounced Holocaust as "the ugliest crime humanity has known in modern history. "

Abbas: Holocaust 'ugliest crime' of modern history

I am very happy, as a humanist, to see this warm remark of the Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas and empathic gesture to the Jewish people. :) :bow:

May peace and brotherhood prevail in Israel and Palestine. I hope to visit there one day and enjoy the local cuisine and tourist places.

:namaste

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Context..................

Fatah and Hamas agreed on Wednesday to form a unity government within weeks and hold elections six months later.

"Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas must abandon Fatah's pact with Hamas if he wants peace, Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has told the BBC."

Israel's position is better served if the Palestinian factions remain divided.

Discuss.................

Ravi500

Context..................

Fatah and Hamas agreed on Wednesday to form a unity government within weeks and hold elections six months later.

"Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas must abandon Fatah's pact with Hamas if he wants peace, Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has told the BBC."

Israel's position is better served if the Palestinian factions remain divided.

Discuss.................

Still, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has made a noble, humane gesture, which definitely will warm the hearts of all in this world who seek a peaceful, progressive world and win their support.

It is a major step forward, considering that the Holocaust had been denied by the Palestinians . Peace in the middle east can be a force-multiplier for other peace initiatives all over the world.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
My guess is Abbas is -- among other things -- signaling that he'll be the leader in the Hamas alliance. But that's just a guess.

Tumah

Veteran Member
There is a term, I don't know if you are familiar with it, we use it to refer to someone who has something to gain by voicing a certain stance. It's called being deceptive.

Abbas doesn't want to have to suffer backlash from forming an alliance with another terrorist organization. So he throws the West a bone in the form of a turn-around from his much earlier position. Please. I'll believe it, when I see the practical application of this "new" stance.

Ravi500

There is a term, I don't know if you are familiar with it, we use it to refer to someone who has something to gain by voicing a certain stance. It's called being deceptive.

When the head of a state makes such an announcement, it does reflect a departure from the earlier views, and which is significant in itself.

Last edited:

Tumah

Veteran Member
When the head of a state makes such an announcement, it does reflect a departure from the earlier views, and which is significant in itself.

Hey look, it would be great if you ended up being correct. But, in light of his recent talks with Hamas, its kind of hard to take it at face value without suspecting subterfuge.

Ravi500

Hey look, it would be great if you ended up being correct. But, in light of his recent talks with Hamas, its kind of hard to take it at face value without suspecting subterfuge.

If there is indeed subterfuge later on, that will make him lose his credibility, which no sane government would do as it has the risk of alienation from the world nations.

So it works both ways. :D

But I do hope and feel that what Abbas said were really heartfelt. I believe more palestinians too will echo it in the future. :)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas has denounced Holocaust as "the ugliest crime humanity has known in modern history. "
From Wikipedia:
The Hamas–UNRWA Holocaust dispute erupted on 31 August 2009 following a perception in the Gaza Strip that the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) planned to include a course on human rights that speaks about the Holocaust in the eighth-grade curriculum of preparatory schools it runs in the territory. Militant Islamic movement Hamas, which controls the Gaza Strip, protested, calling the Holocaust "a lie made up by the Zionists" and demanding the removal of the offending content from the curriculum. Some officials of the United Nations agency initially responded by denying that it teaches the subject of the Holocaust in its schools or that it plans to teach it in its new curriculum. This denial drew criticism from various groups and individuals.

< -- snip -- >​

Protesting what it said were plans to teach eighth-graders in U.N. schools about the Holocaust, the Hamas-affiliated Popular Committee of Palestinian refugees sent an open letter to the chief of UNRWA offices calling the Holocaust "a lie made up by the Zionists" and demanding it "immediately" erase the part that speaks about the Holocaust from the Palestinian pupils' curriculum. Husam Ahmed, the Popular Committee's coordinator in the Gaza Strip, said the material, which was to be included in a course on human rights, "was formed in a way that shows sympathy with the Jews".

The interior ministry of the Hamas de facto government in Gaza expressed astonishment over the UNRWA curriculum's acknowledgement of the Holocaust." "We reject teaching our pupils such thoughts that contradicts with our Palestinian beliefs," said the interior ministry statement, which called on the ministry of education "to check if such news is right."

The head of Hamas' education committee in Gaza, Abdul Rahman el-Jamal, said that the Holocaust was a "big lie". Meanwhile, Hamas Education Minister Muhammad Askol criticized UNRWA, saying it was not respecting Hamas's "sovereignty" over Gaza. He said he planned to ask for a meeting with agency officials to "assure the necessary coordination".

Hamas spiritual leader Yunis al-Astal said teaching children about the Nazi genocide of Jews would be "marketing a lie", and characterized the possible introduction of the subject into Gaza schools as a "war crime".

Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said that Hamas rejects any attempt to introduce the Holocaust into the curriculum as "a kind of normalization with Israel and an attempt to bridge the psychological gap between Israel and the Palestinians".

Jamila al-Shanti, a Hamas legislative official, said: "Talk about the Holocaust and the execution of the Jews contradicts and is against our culture, our principles, our traditions, values, heritage and religion".

Mustafa al-Sawwaf, editor of the Hamas-run newspaper Filastin, said the U.N. "should also be prevented from implementing this destructive policy that harms our history and civilization as well as our people's culture." …
Better that Abbas be judged, not by his opportunist comments, but by his antisemitic partners.

Ravi500

From Wikipedia:Better that Abbas be judged, not by his opportunist comments, but by his antisemitic partners.

I am well-aware of the militant nature of Hamas and which is the sentiment shared by most palestinians too. But the Holocaust was refused and rejected officially and in general by the palestinians from what I know and what appears in your post.

The fact that the Palestinian president had denounced it ( Holocaust) in such strong terms, even being a partner of Hamas ( demands of coalition politics ), can reflect a progressive attitude on the part of the palestinians , at least on an official viewpoint,which can then later on trickle down and become the general viewpoint as well with time as barriers get diluted more and more.

As John F. Kennedy stated, "Peace is a daily, a weekly, a monthly process, gradually changing opinions, slowly eroding old barriers, quietly building new structures. And however undramatic the pursuit of peace, that pursuit must go on."

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I am well-aware of the militant nature of Hamas and which is the sentiment shared by most palestinians too.
Reducing holocaust denial, and a commitment to terrorism aimed at the eradication of Israel, to a simple case of "militant nature" is thoroughly ignorant and disgusting.

Ravi500

Reducing holocaust denial, and a commitment to terrorism aimed at the eradication of Israel, to a simple case of "militant nature" is thoroughly ignorant and disgusting.

I apologize if my term of 'militant nature' does not adequately define Hamas.

But they are the one's who represent the palestinian people democratically, and supporting Abbas too, at the moment. You cannot deny or ignore their presence. I am not focussing on them over here.

The thread over here is based on my appreciation for the Palestinian president Abbas for his denouncing of the Holocaust , which is a very significant step which needs to be honoured and encouraged, so that more such steps would follow. :yes:

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member

I am very happy, as a humanist, to see this warm remark of the Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas and empathic gesture to the Jewish people. :) :bow:

May peace and brotherhood prevail in Israel and Palestine. I hope to visit there one day and enjoy the local cuisine and tourist places.

Whatever he said, it's not enough for zionistes .

He should admit that Israel is jewish state, i don't know what they mean by " jewish state , 1- (racists state = only jewish race) or they want to make it's religious state (judiasm state ) or both :confused:

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
the contradiction is : they want to creat a race state (state only for jews) , and they blamed Hitler for his racism in the same time !!!!

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I apologize if my term of 'militant nature' does not adequately define Hamas.
Far better that you apologize for not recognizing how and why the term does not adequately apply.

But they are the one's who represent the palestinian people democratically, and supporting Abbas too, at the moment.
And Hitler 'represented a people democratically as well. Therefore?

You cannot deny or ignore their presence.
And where, precisely, have I done so?

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
the contradiction is : they want to creat a race state (state only for jews) , ...
Rubbish.

Let me ask you a couple of questions:
  • Is Algeria an Islamic State?
  • Should it be?
  • How do you think Algeria compares with Israel from the standpoint of multiculturalism and human rights?
Equating "Jewish state" with "a state only for Jews" is ugly and baseless propaganda at best.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
When Israel can discuss politics with out reference to the holocaust or the potential destruction of Israel, we will probably find we are in a real dialogue for peace.

Those that came back to their homes, from the killing fields of countless millions of their compatriots, after the first and second world war, could rarely be persuaded to talk about their experiences.

After the first war Germany was punished by devastation restrictions and punitive reparations, that rapidly led to the second war.

The second war was followed by rebuilding and grant aid, in place of punishment. And has further led to German reunion and to the establishment of the European Union.

Israel can show nothing to compare with this, in their dealings with Palestine and the populations on their borders.

Those states annexed by Russia are still in the throws of readjustment and some turmoil after liberation from the USSR..

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

Well its only taken 80 years for someone in his office to say that so maybe its not that impressive when one considers that Palestine and the Muslim Brotherhood were allies of Nazi Germany

Tumah

Veteran Member
When Israel can discuss politics with out reference to the holocaust or the potential destruction of Israel, we will probably find we are in a real dialogue for peace.

Does this make sense? You are saying, that Israel should ignore the terrorists that are constantly trying to blow up its citizens, ignore its existential threat that is Iran (who also happens to be a source of funding for terrorists), ignore the fact that its "peace" partner keeps prioritizing the release of terrorists who then go back home and teach their children to be terrorists before going back out into the field to blow something else up.

You want Israel to ignore all that and come to the table all smiles and flower? How about these "peace"partners denounce terrorism and tell Israel that they do belong in jail for their actions against another people and against their "peace" partners?

Saying that Israel should ignore that major threat that these people are, is just naive.

Israel can show nothing to compare with this, in their dealings with Palestine and the populations on their borders.

How about a 90,000,000 shekel a month debt that currently stands at $402,000,000 for electicity that the East Jerusalem and PA electric companies owe the Israel electric company. The Israeli government doesn't allow the IEC to stop providing electricity despite the bill they have almost no chance of paying back.

Please. Israel does as much as it is able to do, while still working to protect its own citizens.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Does this make sense? You are saying, that Israel should ignore the terrorists that are constantly trying to blow up its citizens, ignore its existential threat that is Iran (who also happens to be a source of funding for terrorists), ignore the fact that its "peace" partner keeps prioritizing the release of terrorists who then go back home and teach their children to be terrorists before going back out into the field to blow something else up.

You want Israel to ignore all that and come to the table all smiles and flower? How about these "peace"partners denounce terrorism and tell Israel that they do belong in jail for their actions against another people and against their "peace" partners?

Saying that Israel should ignore that major threat that these people are, is just naive.

How about a 90,000,000 shekel a month debt that currently stands at $402,000,000 for electicity that the East Jerusalem and PA electric companies owe the Israel electric company. The Israeli government doesn't allow the IEC to stop providing electricity despite the bill they have almost no chance of paying back.

Please. Israel does as much as it is able to do, while still working to protect its own citizens.

All such negotiations and moves toward peace are always between enemies.
Israel has no one else to make peace with except those they call terrorists and enemies.

The Uk has been fighting the IRA for even longer than Israel has existed. However we have achieved a power sharing peace deal with them.
This does not mean that there are not some still working and killing for the republican or orange causes, or that life is perfectly safe for every one.

Discussions are still ongoing and progress is still being made, but the hatred built up on both sides, over hundreds of years, can not be healed all at once.
We know as well as anyone the nature of terrorism and its cycles through the generations. We also know that it is never defeated by war imprisonment or punishment killing.

There is no point at all in Israel expecting terrorism to lessen, unless the situation changes between them and those they call enemies. The killing will continue either covertly or overtly until the advantages of a fair and equitable peace are seen by both sides. There will be no winners unless all are winners.