• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pakistan wants "Freedom to Kill Freedom of Speech" in name of "Freedom of Religion"

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
He has a valid point to a certain degree. I will never join a religion which "kills me if I draw a picture of my Guru". In Hinduism drawing a picture is part of sadhana, expressing love. So all I see in Islam is "lack of love, lack of peace". In words they say "Islam means peace", but in actions they prove the opposite. I call this hypocrisy and proselytizing.
Look there are Christians who refuse to even spell the word God. Sacredness comes in many flavours. I suspect there are Muslims who just want to mind their own business, but politics keeps dragging us all into the drama.

But sometimes "we need a dick move to remove a dick move" like in "we need a thorn to remove a thorn"
I have never stated otherwise.

Notanumber

A Free Man
Actually, They are promoting free speech.

Yes, they know they are ticking Muslims off, but they are essentially telling the Muslims to grow up, quit being big wimpy babies, and recognize that a cartoon is simply a cartoon.

If Muslims cannot handle a cartoon or unveiled women, they should not be living in the Free World.

I consider the Charlie hebdo victims to be martyrs for free speech.

Once Muhammad cartoons are not allowed anymore, Europe will become more and more like Lebanon.

Better to just encourage the radicals to move to a radical country.

We do not want them in the Free World. They prefer to live in a dark age theocracy where freedom of speech is outlawed.

The Muslims that we want in the Free World, are the down-to-earth Muslims who recognize that a cartoon or unveiled woman is not hurting anyone.

We want Muslims who have gotten with the 21st century, and prefer democracy over dark aged Sharia and theocracy.

what you are suggesting is that women should wear veils over their head, because many Muslims come from countries where they only see women in burkas. Many Muslims find an unveiled woman to be a serious crime and asking to be raped.

Is a woman who wears her head uncovered asking to be a victim too? Should they cover their head for fear of offending Muslims? How about Muslims get a 21st century life and stop taking offense at everything.

If Allah has a problem with it, let allah do the Killing.

I was going to respond, then I read your response and realised that I could not better that.

Cheers

Notanumber

A Free Man
I think you should spend your time instead worrying about the president of the US threatening to alter the search criteria on Google, to ensure he gets favourable coverage. The attacks on free speech are no longer confined to less modern cultures.

Something has to be done to ensure free speech is a given on the internet. Search engines must be unbiased.

Notanumber

A Free Man
No, guys. You don't get the point. Drawing prophet Muhammad's face is not allowed in Islam. This does not have anything to do with "growing up". Cartoon is just a cartoon, yes, but that does not mean you have to reform other people's religion. It is like, you are changing a law in math just because you are PhD in Psychology.

And, if this is about Muslims immigrant annoying the hell out of the native citizens, I think you have to see both cases in separate manners. The Muslims may be guilty in the second case but in this drawing case, really, it has happened before. They know the drill. Why repeat the hell-hole?

Take this for example, cows are holy animals in Hinduism. Should a muslim person like me sacrifice a cow in front of the Hindus who happen to have migrated to my hometown and yell "Grow up, Hindus!" (well, I heard some Muslims actually did that but they have received their punishment) and even if I did such horrible thing, I shouldn't be surprised if my disgusting act got into the internet and all Hindu people miles away in India got mad at me and threaten me with murder. That will happen surely.

Instead of kicking up a fuss if you see something that you do not like, trying looking the other way and let those that appreciate what they see continue to see it.

Do not get me started about Halal Slaughter.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
The worst Muhammad cartoon I've ever seen, was Muhammad getting an erection next to a 6 year old girl that he married.

Even I was appalled by that. If I saw the person who made that in real life, you bet I would tell them that's f***** up, over the top, and uncalled for.

But I don't think it should be illegal either.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Instead of kicking up a fuss if you see something that you do not like, trying looking the other way and let those that appreciate what they see continue to see it.

Do not get me started about Halal Slaughter.

Thanks for sharing. I respect animals and am vegetarian since ca. 1990 and now also vegan. These pictures are horrible but the perfect reminder to respect animals.

stvdv

Look there are Christians who refuse to even spell the word God. Sacredness comes in many flavours. I suspect there are Muslims who just want to mind their own business, but politics keeps dragging us all into the drama.
I know since I am on RF some Christians spell God as "G_d". But not one ever told me to do so. That's the difference with "this Muslim" picture "kill-imposing" it on the world.

I have never stated otherwise.
I know. That is why I did agree with your post, hence the "Like". I even explicitly said in my OP "Freedom of Speech" should not be used to "irritate others"
I just added [But sometimes "we need a dick move to remove a dick move" like in "we need a thorn to remove a thorn"]

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The worst Muhammad cartoon I've ever seen, was Muhammad getting an erection next to a 6 year old girl that he married.

Even I was appalled by that. If I saw the person who made that in real life, you bet I would tell them that's f***** up, over the top, and uncalled for.

But I don't think it should be illegal either.
It's more or less a portrayal of truth. Muhammad married Aisha when she was 6 or 7, consummated when she was 9 or 10, with Muhammad himself being 53.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
It's more or less a portrayal of truth. Muhammad married Aisha when she was 6 or 7, consummated when she was 9 or 10, with Muhammad himself being 53.
The Hadiths say she was 6 when they got married.

I understand the cartoon was portraying something that was probably a reality.

Still over the top. But I don't know how Muslims are comfortable with such a fact.

I hope and pray they can be westernized and admit that their prophet made some mistakes

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I know since I am on RF some Christians spell God as "G_d". But not one ever told me to do so. That's the difference with "this Muslim" picture "kill-imposing" it on the world.
I'm not disagreeing.But Christians usually use politics to get people to try to stop doing X. Like Same Sex Marriage, as an example. Granted that's a whole lot better than death threats and violence.

I know. That is why I did agree with your post, hence the "Like". I even explicitly said in my OP "Freedom of Speech" should not be used to "irritate others"
I just added [But sometimes "we need a dick move to remove a dick move" like in "we need a thorn to remove a thorn"]
I favour the dick move, personally. I think religion and politics are very destructive forces, though.

stvdv

I'm not disagreeing.But Christians usually use politics to get people to try to stop doing X. Like Same Sex Marriage, as an example. Granted that's a whole lot better than death threats and violence.

I favour the dick move, personally. I think religion and politics are very destructive forces, though.
When I wrote that I thought "At least this one the Christians do right". Having in mind their Voodoo practice telling me always "You go to hell for disagreeing with us"
So I agree with you. Christians and their judgmental behavior is apolling to me. I find their emotional blackmailing very bad. Make you feel guilty to get your 10% church contribution

I do agree that nowadays religion and politics are at their summit of "destructiveness" and personally I think peace on earth will only happen if the major religions are gone.
For "peace on earth" we only need "religion of Love". I think humanists understand this principle much better. And I think atheist won't have a problem with that either.

I really don't get you guys' logic. I think my point was easy to understand that you should respect other people's religion by not doing what will reform their concept when you are not even the member of that religion.

But if the basic intention is to **** the Muslims off, I guess the event of "drawing Muhammad's face" is successful to its core. And believe me, no matter how hard you try to make the Muslims "grow up" the same chain of "action-and-reaction" will be repeated over and over again over this specific case.

And I shouldn't be surprised if next year or 2 the exact same news become another headlines in mainstream media. *cough*If WW3 doesn't happen beforehand, though.*cough*

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Was it not started because of the attacks on Jyllands-Posten in Denmark but revived because of the Charlie Hebdo massacre?
We were both wrong. It was inspired by Muslim reaction to a Soutpark episode:

Everybody Draw Mohammed Day - Wikipedia

Everybody_Draw_Mohammed_Day.jpg

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
I really don't get you guys' logic.

It's actually very simple
  1. Islam forbids the drawing of Muhammad therefore Muslims cannot draw Muhammad;
  2. Islamic rules do not apply to non-Muslims;
  3. Therefore non-Muslims can draw Muhammad;
  4. Some Muslims seem unable to grasp this and get upset;
  5. We are not responsible for how you choose to act;
  6. We are not responsible for your speech nor actions just as you are not responsible for ours;
  7. Muslims who get huffy over this need to learn to accept that their rules don't apply to everyone else;
  8. It is not our responsibility to reform Islam or cultural norms which cause Muslims to get so pissy at cartoons - it is your responsibility ("your" as in a group - not you individually);
  9. Muslims who react so strongly to cartoons they resort to violence or threats of violence need to grow up.

I think my point was easy to understand that you should respect other people's religion by not doing what will reform their concept when you are not even the member of that religion.

First off, no. Your religion does not inherently deserve respect. No religion does. Religions, like their adherents, need to earn respect. Second off, any religion that inspires its adherents to react so violently to a drawing is in dire need of reform. The fact that Islam is so inimical to such is one of its single biggest flaws.

But if the basic intention is to **** the Muslims off, I guess the event of "drawing Muhammad's face" is successful to its core. And believe me, no matter how hard you try to make the Muslims "grow up" the same chain of "action-and-reaction" will be repeated over and over again over this specific case.

And we will keep doing it so long as there are Muslims barbaric enough to threaten civilised societies with violence & death over drawings. If you want us to stop then adjust your perspectives to the point where you finally understand that drawings aren't that big a deal.

And I shouldn't be surprised if next year or 2 the exact same news become another headlines in mainstream media. *cough*If WW3 doesn't happen beforehand, though.*cough*

I wouldn't be surprised if this happened either. Hopefully next time the organisers will be brave enough to ignore the threat of barbarian attack.

What's at stake here isn't just freedom of speech or Muslims' freedom of religion to force their beliefs on the rest of us - it's about freedom from religion i.e. the notion that we should not have to live our lives according to the laws of a religion we do not adhere to.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
That was how I renounced the Bible....I had to have atheists rub my nose in the crap...I had to have my faith bashed hard. So, perhaps muslims need the same?
May you tell me (in PM if you prefer) why that was a good thing after all?

At first glance it appears to be a cruel experience, after all.