• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Painting with a brush as big as your ego

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Ok, here goes,

Why is it that anti-evolution-ists love to proclaim how wrong evolution is.... yet provide 1 example? 1 example does not refute evolution. 1 example proves to the world that these people are desperate to find something wrong, but why?

What is wrong with evolution? Why is it important to poke holes in it? Given evolution is 200 years old an gaining momentum is it a threat to religious beliefs? If so why? So what if earth science

Many people (unlike myself) have no reason and no desire to learn about earth science and keep their beliefs and theres nothing wrong with that. But why do people feign interest in this field, do 10 seconds research, then complain about how wrong science is?

I know im also painting with a broad brush, but this is beginning to become more popular here on RF.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The religious right used to have a problem with earth science as well, or at least with the astronomical aspect of it.
Wasn't it only a decade or so ago that the Catholic church finally apologised for coming down so hard on Galelio for his absurd and heretical assertion that the Earth moved around the Sun?

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
The religious right used to have a problem with earth science as well, or at least with the astronomical aspect of it.
Wasn't it only a decade or so ago that the Catholic church finally apologised for coming down so hard on Galelio for his absurd and heretical assertion that the Earth moved around the Sun?

Earth science is responsible for a huge chunk of evolution as well. Soil, rocks, coastal formation and erosion is just the tip of the sword, are they against all this as well because it doesn't fit with their backward 2nd century fairy tale?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Good point, dark one.
I'll never forget sitting on a cliff gazing into the Grand Canyon one time and hearing a father a few metres away explaining to his son, in all seriousness, that this all was a result of the Great Flood.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Good point, dark one.
I'll never forget sitting on a cliff gazing into the Grand Canyon one time and hearing a father a few metres away explaining to his son, in all seriousness, that this all was a result of the Great Flood.

Its depressing to see such a thing. Funny thing being that the sandstone of the Grand Canyon would look seriously different if it had seen water in the last 1000000000 years :p

Scarey to think people still think the flood existed when practically no evidence exists to prove such a thing.

A

angellous_evangellous

Painting with a brush as big as your ego....

Such a task could only be done by daddy.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Good point, dark one.

It would've taken every fabric of my being to resist pushing his *** over the edge.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
It's not at all difficult to understand why conservative religions object so strongly to modern science (actually, "modern" meaning science of the last 250+ years). Taking conservative Christianity as an example....

The Bible says everything was created instantaneously by God (according to their "kinds"), humans were specially created, there was a recent global flood, and (according to conservative Christianity) the universe and everything in it is ~6,000 years old.

Science OTOH says all life shares a common ancestry, humans are related to other primates, there was no recent global flood, and the universe is 13.7 billion years old.

So it's no big mystery here. Bible says X, science says A. According to conservative religious thought, there is no compromise or middle ground. Put that together with the existence of multiple multi-million dollar creationist organizations that do nothing but promote this dichotomy--e.g. Answersingenesis' instance that "billions of years" = Christianity is false--and you end up where we are today.

OmarKhayyam

Actually there is a logic to their objections. IF the bible is wrong about creation then it may be wrong in other areas. Maybe the miracles didn't happen. Maybe Jesus was just a preacher. Maybe the resurrection didn't happen.

Once you allow for ANY error the whole house of cards comes down and the bible means whatever you think it means and Christianity means whatever you think it means.

Can't have that. The ONLY acceptable Christianity is that which says:

God said it.
I believe it.
That settles it.

tomspug

Absorbant
Fake history is not funny. Galileo 1) did not originate that concept and 2) it was held by many, many cultures (including Christians and Jews) before him. Just because the Catholic Church accepts false history doesn't make it real.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What do you mean "fake history? And who said Galileo originated the heliocentric concept? He just came up with some new evidence for it. In fact, he held this view for a long time before anyone called him on it. It wasn't till he ****** off a certain pope that the church finally summoned him to Rome.

My point is that the church did declare Copernicanism heresy, dismissed evidence against it, and condemned those who believed it -- just as many conservative churches today are doing with evolution.