• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pain

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
For me, pain is an old friend. I've dealt with chronic pain in my knee since my early 30s. I've grown accustomed to it.

However, I find myself dealing with a new pain since Friday. I bent over to pick up something up off of the ground and thought I had pulled a muscle. I could barely walk on Friday, but on Saturday, it was much better. I walked about about 3.5 miles on Sunday, got home, picked something up off of the floor, and was met with the same pain. I can bear sitting, but I find once again I can barely walk.

What gives me pause is while I initially thought it was a pulled muscle, I'm realizing I have not experience the same sensation previously. The pain is in my right hip and radiates down my right leg. I'm concerned it may be sciatica.

Do you live with chronic pain. Have you ever experienced such a thing?

What do you think?

RoaringSilence

For me, pain is an old friend. I've dealt with chronic pain in my knee since my early 30s. I've grown accustomed to it.

However, I find myself dealing with a new pain since Friday. I bent over to pick up something up off of the ground and thought I had pulled a muscle. I could barely walk on Friday, but on Saturday, it was much better. I walked about about 3.5 miles on Sunday, got home, picked something up off of the floor, and was met with the same pain. I can bear sitting, but I find once again I can barely walk.

What gives me pause is while I initially thought it was a pulled muscle, I'm realizing I have not experience the same sensation previously. The pain is in my right hip and radiates down my right leg. I'm concerned it may be sciatica.

What do you think?
Benefits of Mucuna pruriens
  • Supports a healthy central & peripheral nervous system*
  • Supports the body’s ability to handle stress*
  • Is a natural source of levodopa (L-dopa)*
  • Supports physical balance & posture*
  • Promotes healthy motor skills & coordination*
  • Improves energy & endurance*
  • Supports the intellect*
  • Bolsters libido*
  • Revitalizes both the male & female reproductive systems*
Mucuna pruriens is useful in disorders of a tridoshic origin—those that involve vata, pitta, and kapha—but it is most balancing to vata and pitta. (If you do not know your dosha, we recommend that you take our free dosha quiz to see if these seeds might be the right herb for you.) Mucuna pruriens is a very building herb, one that promotes muscle mass, body weight and can increase kapha.3, 1 Mucuna pruriens is primarily sweet and bitter, and is quite warming. It has an affinity for all of the tissues in the body, but is especially suited to balance the nervous, reproductive, and digestive systems.1

Cooky

Veteran Member

What do you think?

I pulled a muscle in my neck/back, well at least I think I did. But it's been hurting for about a week and a half now, so I'm not exactly sure it's a pulled muscle anymore because I figured it should have been better by now.

...So I don't know what's going on, and the thought of a health problem puts me into automatic panic mode. I'm not ready to walk through the valley of the shadow of death..!

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

What do you think?
Yes I live in chronic pain...back pain comes and goes, but I've had a headache pretty much continuously for the last three years, although it does vary in intensity...

From you description, i would suggest a pinched nerve, although as you suggest, it could also be a pulled muscle. The usual treatment is alternating ice and room temperature, and ibuprofen or tylenol (Ibuprofen helps with swelling that the other doesn't).

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I pulled a muscle in my neck/back, well at least I think I did. But it's been hurting for about a week and a half now, so I'm not exactly sure it's a pulled muscle anymore because I figured it should have been better by now.

...So I don't know what's going on, and the thought of a health problem puts me into automatic panic mode. I'm not ready to walk through the valley of the shadow of death..!

How about you go to the hospital and get diagnosed and save us half of what it would cost us otherwise?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes I live in chronic pain...back pain comes and goes, but I've had a headache pretty much continuously for the last three years, although it does vary in intensity...

From you description, i would suggest a pinched nerve, although as you suggest, it could also be a pulled muscle. The usual treatment is alternating ice and room temperature, and ibuprofen or tylenol (Ibuprofen helps with swelling that the other doesn't).

This concerns me. I've had numbness in my left arm for months which physical therapist are saying is an entrapped nerve. I can't help but think this is somehow related.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This concerns me. I've had numbness in my left arm for months which physical therapist are saying is an entrapped nerve. I can't help but think this is somehow related.
But if that remedy doesn't work, then I recommend seeing a doc.
Might be some kind'a nerve impingement.
They can get you prescription strength bacon.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
If it continues to irritate you, I'd suggest seeing your physician, and perhaps getting a referral to a neurologist to make sure what you're experiencing isn't something worse than a pulled muscle or pinched nerve. I'm not sure what an entrapped nerve is. I'd suggest taking it easy for a few days regardless...

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

What do you think?
Get an x-ray if you can. At any rate take some ibuprofen if you can or whatever inflammatory your are permitted to take. This could help prevent further damage and so shorten the healing time of whatever it is.

It can be sciatica, sure. It could just be inflammation. It could be something worse.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
But if that remedy doesn't work, then I recommend seeing a doc.
Might be some kind'a nerve impingement.
They can get you prescription strength bacon.

I'm a pollo-pescaterian. Do they have prescription strength turkey bacon? If not, I guess I'll have to see a doc.

Bird123

What do you think?

Perhaps, old age is creeping in. That 100 year old man used to be 19 years old. What a difference there is after all those years.

Perhaps one should exercise just enough to stay fit and no more. If it's sciatica, I would find some exercises to strengthen your back. Like everything, ease into it. Before you know it, things will be better.

The physical body takes a number of vitamins, minerals, proteins and such to be healthy. Diet does make a difference. Be sure your body is getting everything it needs. Example: Low calcium levels create weak bones and joints which can create stress all over.

Stop and smell the roses. Being driven can be mighty hard on one. I think you get the idea. It is common sense but sometimes we are our own worst enemy by ignoring what really matters. Take care, my friend!

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member

What do you think?
I have had problems with chronic back pain since I was younger. A few years ago, I experienced a slipped disc in my lower vertebrae. It got so bad that I had steroid injections that were like magic for me. The major pain was alleviated and the steroid treatment was followed with physical therapy that helped a lot too. The pain has returned in milder form from time to time, but I manage it with moderate physical exercise. I was told the best thing I could do for it was to walk and I have been doing that diligently for the last four or five years with no relapse. Some days, I walk as much as five or 10 miles.

It could be arthritis. I was told that the x-rays for my back pain revealed that I had the initial signs of it along my back. I experience periods of brief minor to more severe pain in my hips when the atmospheric pressure changes. It is anecdotal, but reasonably predictive.

I hope you can get yours managed. It is not something I would wish on anyone. Until I started experiencing increasingly more pronounced back pain, I was blissfully unaware of how much my lower back was involved in even very distant movements of my body.

What you describe sounds like a pinched nerve. Pain radiating from your hip and down the leg sounds very similar to my experience from the slipped disc.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member

What do you think?
A simple thing you can do to help relieve sciatica in your right leg is to turn your right foot so you are slightly pidgeon toed when you stand (or sit, or lie down.) This will help to stretch the muscles on the outside of your leg that cramp from sciatica, and give your body a gentle nudge to realign correctly. Never turn your toes outward while you have sciatica, as it may result in more painful cramping.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I bent over to pick up something up off of the ground and thought I had pulled a muscle. I could barely walk on Friday, but on Saturday, it was much better. I walked about about 3.5 miles on Sunday, got home, picked something up off of the floor, and was met with the same pain. I can bear sitting, but I find once again I can barely walk. What gives me pause is while I initially thought it was a pulled muscle, I'm realizing I have not experience the same sensation previously. The pain is in my right hip and radiates down my right leg. I'm concerned it may be sciatica.

You are correct. What you are describing is very likely sciatica, a term which refers to compression of the nerve roots just below the lowest part of the spinal cord, nerve roots sending motor signals to and receiving sensory signals from the lower body and legs. Since it began abruptly following a bend at the waist, it is most likely due to the rupturing of the dense fibrous exterior of an intervertebral disk, the contents of which are a gelatinous substance that tends to extrude posteriorly (toward the back).

I am familiar with your problem in two ways. The first is professionally. I am a retired physician who referred many such patients to neurologists, orthopedists, and physical therapists over the years, some of whom eventually required surgery to decompress the lower central nervous system.

I also know this personally. I had a bout of severe low back pain in 2011 and again in 2015 following bending, which pain resolved with rest and time. These episodes lasted over a month each, and at their worst, made going up and down stairs very difficult or impossible.

Late last year, it happened again, and I could no longer walk more than a few feet without experiencing pain and/or weakness in my legs - an especially costly situation given a lifestyle centered about walking to most destinations we visit, especially restaurants. We're accustomed to taking a 0.5-2.0 mile walk to get to a meal, but lately, lost that option.

In my case, the problem was due to three contiguous intervertebral disks that had herniated posteriorly into the nerve roots causing pain, all three of which were surgically shaved down last month giving me significant but incomplete relief. I hope and expect to be walking everywhere again soon.

I've had numbness in my left arm for months which physical therapist are saying is an entrapped nerve. I can't help but think this is somehow related.

That sounds like the same problem, but higher up in the cervical (neck) spine. I suspect that you will eventually have MRI's of the neck and low back to visualize the local anatomy, and possibly decompressive therapy if that is relevant in your case.

Good luck.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
There is no pain when I lay down. I slept through the night with no pain, regardless of position, but as soon as I stand up and take a couple of steps, the pain becomes intense and I have to sit down. It's gonna be a fun day at work.

I understand sciatica is nerve pain, something I have little experience with (aside from the dentist hitting a nerve while drilling a tooth), so it's hard for me to make the distinction from the more familiar musculoskeletal pain.

I will be reach out to my family doctor when they open this morning.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Well I saw the doc today. She mentioned L-4 and S-3 and said something about what laymen call the sciatic nerve. She gave me a steroid "dose pack" and some direction with ice and heat and sent me for some imaging.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Well I saw the doc today. She mentioned L-4 and S-3 and said something about what laymen call the sciatic nerve. She gave me a steroid "dose pack" and some direction with ice and heat and sent me for some imaging.
glad to hear the doc is being helpful...hope you have a rapid recovery!