• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

[Pagans] What do you think of "Thursatru"?

VioletVortex

Contemporary Paganism is Paganism today, whether it be reconstructionist or revivalist. Compared to paganism - sometimes written as "Arch-Paganism" or "Ancient Paganism".

Meaning what? Do you believe the Gods to be bound within the confines of Scandinavia and Germania?

Odal was never - to my knowledge - used on Nazi uniforms. More than this, technically the Odal rune is applicable to their beliefs.

I have stated that my ancestry is important to me, as it is my roots. I do not believe it to be important to my beliefs outside that biological fact. I can't say if they share this view - which would make them Tribalist - but I am quite uncomfortable being paralleled with Odinists.

Maybe not...it was the insignia of the 23rd SS Volunteer Panzer Grenadier Division Nederland, and if I recall correctly, it was on the collars of some uniforms.

Of course not. I will use the cliche of saying that the gods are omnipresent. I agree with your last statement. Ancestry is important to me. If I were Greek, I would probably look into Hellenic Paganism, and even now, I would probably be more suited to Celtic or Slavic Paganism by my own definitions. The fact that there is more knowledge of Germanic and Norse Pantheons is what draws me more towards it. The ancestry thing is a personal preference of mine. I see truth across the entire spectrum of Indo-European religions, and some eastern Occultism is quite interesting.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Maybe not...it was the insignia of the 23rd SS Volunteer Panzer Grenadier Division Nederland, and if I recall correctly, it was on the collars of some uniforms.
Well, I stand corrected there. Still, the Odal rune is technically applicable to Odinists and even neo-nazi's. They at least do the rest of us the good-graces to hook the branches of their version, making it easily identifiable.

I agree with your last statement. Ancestry is important to me. If I were Greek, I would probably look into Hellenic Paganism, and even now, I would probably be more suited to Celtic or Slavic Paganism by my own definitions.
That's not what I mean by my ancestry. I mean my parents, their parents, etc. The people, not the country. Though no, I do not extend so far back to nameless tribes and families.

VioletVortex

Well, I stand corrected there. Still, the Odal rune is technically applicable to Odinists and even neo-nazi's. They at least do the rest of us the good-graces to hook the branches of their version, making it easily identifiable.

That's not what I mean by my ancestry. I mean my parents, their parents, etc. The people, not the country. Though no, I do not extend so far back to nameless tribes and families.

Recent ancestry is obviously important, parents, grandparents, and so on and so forth should certainly be honoured, as they brought you into the world. Are you a universalist? Do you think that, for example, Austrailian Aborigionals should be Heathens? Or should they follow their native traditions? I align myself with the latter, but I'm not ignorant enough to think that they should be prohibited by law to follow a religion. No one "should be a Heathen", I think it's a matter of personal choice. Unless one feels inclined, there's no point in them practicing a religion or philosophy.

The Thursatru debate still goes back to whether or not it is appropriate to distort our theology that much. I think that it is all open to interpretation, but their beliefs border on Joys of Satan type stuff...

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Are you a universalist? Do you think that, for example, Austrailian Aborigionals should be Heathens?
No, I'm a Tribalist. Anyone of any nationality can be a Heathen (I would never say that one should be a Heathen,) but Heathen culture is central to Heathenry. Thor is not the same as Zeus or Tlaloc, for example, and should not be depicted or compared as such. Universalist Heathens believe that anyone can be Heathen, and any depiction of the Gods is valid.

The Thursatru debate still goes back to whether or not it is appropriate to distort our theology that much.
In my view, it is not appropriate. At all. It creates more division in the Heathen community than is needed, introduces figures and ideas that are not Heathen, and is comparable to a theoretical anti-Semitic branch of Judaism. In distorting Heathen theology, it sets itself far apart from Heathenry.

VioletVortex

No, I'm a Tribalist. Anyone of any nationality can be a Heathen (I would never say that one should be a Heathen,) but Heathen culture is central to Heathenry. Thor is not the same as Zeus or Tlaloc, for example, and should not be depicted or compared as such. Universalist Heathens believe that anyone can be Heathen, and any depiction of the Gods is valid.

In my view, it is not appropriate. At all. It creates more division in the Heathen community than is needed, introduces figures and ideas that are not Heathen, and is comparable to a theoretical anti-Semitic branch of Judaism. In distorting Heathen theology, it sets itself far apart from Heathenry.

Sure, anyone can be a Heathen, but who is it most fit for? As a literal theist, you would probably say that anyone with an inclination towards Heathenry is fit for it. However, as a deist, I'd say that those of different ancestry are more apt for different forms of Paganism.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
However, as a deist, I'd say that those of different ancestry are more apt for different forms of Paganism.
And how does that work, if the gods are not contained to their countries of origin? How would it work for an American who has direct, known ancestry with many European countries?