• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

[Pagans ONLY] Into the Wilds

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
This is following from another thread, where @Goddess_Ashtara and I got into a very interesting discussion that I'd like to continue and get other ideas on.

To get everyone up to speed:

Riverwolf said:
Christians, especially in America, have no idea what it's like to long to visit a Scared Place to worship the God or Gods one wishes to worship, and have no such place exist. I hope they never have to know what that's like.

Because I do. And it's ... not their fault. But it is the fault of post-Roman Christians.

Goddess_Ashtara said:
You have not found a sacred place to worship the god(s) you wish to worship? Of all the beautiful and epic places in nature, of all the great temples, of all the places on Earth meaningful to you... you are really under the impression that a sacred place to worship the god(s) you wish to worship does not exist?

Riverwolf said:
The natural Sacred places are there, yes, but the wights that live in the local ones are rather grouchy, so I leave them alone. Considering that the Karkin people, the Tribe native to this part of SF East Bay, is basically extinct, can't say I blame them.

I was referring to Temples or Shrines, the kind built and maintained by humans. I look at Shinto Shrines in Japan, and long to have something equivalent for us.

Goddess_Ashtara said:
Why would you require others to establish sacred grounds for you? A simple altar of your own can be a sacred place to worship your god(s), but even that is not necessary. I have found sacred grounds deep within the desert, and atop mountain peaks, and in other places. Not because some group proclaimed them to be sacred, but because I personally find them to be powerful areas that exponentially enhance the experience of connecting to forces Above and Below and Within.
Riverwolf said:
I'm not really much for going into the Wilds.

Goddess_Ashtara said:
That can change... and it might enhance your pagan spiritual-religious system more than you might think.

Riverwolf said:
It can change, but won't until I can actually get to the Wilds on my own. And I'm starting to get rather tired of solo practicing, anyway. It's... getting very, very lonely.
Riverwolf said:
Have you ever been to the San Francisco Bay Area?

Goddess_Ashtara said:
I know what it is like to live within walking distance of wilderness, or live surrounded by it... but I also know what it is like to have to sacrifice time and money just to travel out of the city and into nature. It is always worth it. If you do not feel connected to the nature around you, I would suggest you consider relocating.

I am not very familiar with the SF Bay Area... but I have experienced places in Cali that exist within the same deserts I am so fond of in Arizona and Nevada. I find the Mojave and Sonoran deserts in particular to be beautiful beyond words. My connection to them... I can't even explain it.

So, to continue...

I can't just relocate. When I say that money is a thing, I mean that money is a THING. I barely have just under 200 USD to my name, TOTAL. (I still live with my mom, and don't have a car or a driver's license. Not because I'm too young, either; I'm 28.) Much of that is savings that I can't just spend. In fact, me and my partner are actually planning on relocating to Oregon within the next year or two, so that's already in my future, hopefully.

You're speaking of Southern California when you speak of those deserts. Northern California, where SF is, is a very different climate (for now). There's a lot more Woodland up here. That's fine by me, since I prefer Woodlands and rather loath the idea of ever going to a Desert. See, me and Sun don't exactly get along, owing perhaps in part to the fact that I have such light skin that I burn EASILY. I also don't do well with heat in general. That's part of the reason why I'm saving up to get to Oregon: to get somewhere where it's not so bloody hot.

In any case, none of this is my point. I'm not one of those Pagans who wants to get away from this Godsforsaken Suburbia. I'm a Pagan who wants to bring the Gods back into this place.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
This is following from another thread, where @Goddess_Ashtara and I got into a very interesting discussion that I'd like to continue and get other ideas on.

To get everyone up to speed:

So, to continue...

I can't just relocate. When I say that money is a thing, I mean that money is a THING. I barely have just under 200 USD to my name, TOTAL. (I still live with my mom, and don't have a car or a driver's license. Not because I'm too young, either; I'm 28.) Much of that is savings that I can't just spend. In fact, me and my partner are actually planning on relocating to Oregon within the next year or two, so that's already in my future, hopefully.

You're speaking of Southern California when you speak of those deserts. Northern California, where SF is, is a very different climate (for now). There's a lot more Woodland up here. That's fine by me, since I prefer Woodlands and rather loath the idea of ever going to a Desert. See, me and Sun don't exactly get along, owing perhaps in part to the fact that I have such light skin that I burn EASILY. I also don't do well with heat in general. That's part of the reason why I'm saving up to get to Oregon: to get somewhere where it's not so bloody hot.

In any case, none of this is my point. I'm not one of those Pagans who wants to get away from this Godsforsaken Suburbia. I'm a Pagan who wants to bring the Gods back into this place.

You're looking for a house of worship rather than outside?

Riverwolf

Premium Member

Not so much a "house", and certainly not a "house of worship" in the Christian sense (maybe in the Hellenic or Roman sense). I frequently reference Shinto Shrines as my equivalent because they largely are outside. But they are enclosed, and maintained by the priests that live there.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
No. Lest I've read this 100% wrong, he's looking for an equivalent of Thor's Oak(or what have you, just an example). But there is none, because the Christians decided to hack it down.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
No. Lest I've read this 100% wrong, he's looking for an equivalent of Thor's Oak(or what have you, just an example). But there is none, because the Christians decided to hack it down.

That's a FANTASTIC analogy, actually.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
@Riverwolf @Nietzsche

Gosh. In America, I would not know. I know further you go west (well east from you), it is more Christian; but Oregon is too far over to really know for sure. It sounds like you have to go out of the country.

I don't know if the area is the problem. Just a lot of research where everyone is out in the boonies (or outskirts) of the city. It's the driving part. I don't drive either and that's whats keeping me from doing a lot of things.

I know. This isn't helping. Hmm. Oregon, may I ask, why there?

Riverwolf

Premium Member
@Riverwolf @Nietzsche

Gosh. In America, I would not know. I know further you go west (well east from you), it is more Christian; but Oregon is too far over to really know for sure. It sounds like you have to go out of the country.

I know. My best bet would be in, well, Japan. As a polytheist, I'd be willing to worship whatever Gods are local, in whatever way the people have established. I don't mind that Christians have their places of worship; I just wish I could have one, too.

But I don't expect any to exist, just yet. Not in America.

I know. This isn't helping. Hmm. Oregon, may I ask, why there?

Well, it's mostly for completely unrelated reasons. Weather and housing costs, mostly. The SF Bay Area is notoriously expensive to live in, and that reputation is well-deserved. I don't plan on moving to Japan for, again, unrelated reasons.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I know. My best bet would be in, well, Japan. As a polytheist, I'd be willing to worship whatever Gods are local, in whatever way the people have established. I don't mind that Christians have their places of worship; I just wish I could have one, too.

But I don't expect any to exist, just yet. Not in America.

Well, it's mostly for completely unrelated reasons. Weather and housing costs, mostly. The SF Bay Area is notoriously expensive to live in, and that reputation is well-deserved. I don't plan on moving to Japan for, again, unrelated reasons.

Ha. Don't move to VA/DC/MD then. You'd be working two jobs and hiding from every other Christian who gives you the "you're not one of us" eyes (seriously).

That's what people do all the time, though, in the past. When they move they adapt to the culture and gods of that country or territory. I haven't been out of the country to compare with the states, though. I honestly can't think of a place that Christians or Muslims haven't had some type of influence. Probably why everyone wants to go to Mars.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Ha. Don't move to VA/DC/MD then. You'd be working two jobs and hiding from every other Christian who gives you the "you're not one of us" eyes (seriously).

So I've heard. Thank the Gods most Christians around here are pretty accepting.

That's what people do all the time, though, in the past. When they move they adapt to the culture and gods of that country or territory. I haven't been out of the country to compare with the states, though. I honestly can't think of a place that Christians or Muslims haven't had some type of influence.

Even in Japan, Christianity has had enough influence that many people have Christian weddings, even though the actual Christian population in Japan is... I think about 2%. (And I suspect the bulk of those are gaijin.) But honestly, I think that's just fine. Christianity, with its imagery and mythos, merged with the indigenous culture, like Buddhism did before, rather than replaced it. Much like how Indo-European cultures (probably) merged with our own indigenous cultures, (probably) rather than replace them outright.

Probably why everyone wants to go to Mars.

LOL Those people can feel free. For all its problems, I like it on this planet well enough. :D

I mean, the grass is always greener in someone else's yard, sure, but... Mars doesn't have any grass! XD

Last edited: