• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paganism for a Dummy?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello, resident Pagans of RF!

So, I have been thinking about reading on Paganism to gain more knowledge of it. The environment I was brought up in generally contained a lot of contempt and hatred for Paganism, so misconceptions about it were extremely common there. I would like to understand it more to fix my own lack of proper knowledge when it comes to its concepts, origins, different types, etc.

What resources would you recommend for me?

Also, if you could provide online resources, I would appreciate that because I most likely wouldn't find many books about Paganism if I looked for hard copies of them here.

Last edited:

GoodbyeDave

Well, the term Paganism is a bit difficult to define. The early Christians used the Latin "paganus", army slang for yokel, to distance themselves from non-Christians: "not one of us". Modern neo-Pagans adopted it to distance themselves from Christians: "not one of them"! But, roughly speaking it has been used for

1. What anthropologists call "primal religions", which just grew rather than being invented by a prophet: Hinduism, Chines religion, Shinto, traditional African religion. These have a lot in common with

2. Reconstructionist religions. Primal religions that have died out — those of Greece, Egypt, the ancient Germans, etc — but which have now been revived.

3. Eclectic paganism: people assemble their own practices: a god from here, a goddess from there. This owes a lot to

4. Wicca: a reconstruction of a religion that never actually existed!

Good places to start (and don't forget Wikipedia) are
Hellenion
Untitled Document [Egyptian religion]
Natib Qadish, Canaanite Polytheistic Religion
The Odinic Rite
Druid Grove, Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids | Order of Bards and Druids
Witches' Voice Inc. - 28 April, 2014 - 4:32:44 PM

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Well, the term Paganism is a bit difficult to define. The early Christians used the Latin "paganus", army slang for yokel, to distance themselves from non-Christians: "not one of us". Modern neo-Pagans adopted it to distance themselves from Christians: "not one of them"! But, roughly speaking it has been used for

1. What anthropologists call "primal religions", which just grew rather than being invented by a prophet: Hinduism, Chines religion, Shinto, traditional African religion. These have a lot in common with

2. Reconstructionist religions. Primal religions that have died out — those of Greece, Egypt, the ancient Germans, etc — but which have now been revived.

3. Eclectic paganism: people assemble their own practices: a god from here, a goddess from there. This owes a lot to

4. Wicca: a reconstruction of a religion that never actually existed!

Good places to start (and don't forget Wikipedia) are
Hellenion
Untitled Document [Egyptian religion]
Natib Qadish, Canaanite Polytheistic Religion
The Odinic Rite
Druid Grove, Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids | Order of Bards and Druids
Witches' Voice Inc. - 28 April, 2014 - 4:32:44 PM

I'd be cautious about the Odinic Rite, since they're "folkish" (which is a more PC term for "white nationalist" (which itself is a PC term for "white supremacist") and a belief that only white people can be Germanic Pagans). As seen here:

Firstly I will briefly outline what (I believe) a Folkish stance entails, in addition to the above:

• A belief and subsequent action in racial preservation and promotion.
What it means to be Folkish | The Odinic Rite

(That entire article is just a long racist rant.)

So I don't think they're a good example of Asatru as a whole. As a mixed black/white person with significant Germanic ancestry and an admiration for Germanic religion, I take offense at their stance.

This is a good group without the racial nonsense: https://americanasatruassociation.wordpress.com/welcome-to-aaa-start-here/

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
As far as online references go, I haven't kept up on much of that lately. However, Patti over at about.com does a good job with her pages, so I would suggest scoping those out. The best references are honestly going to be books, and there's no way around that. With what you seem to be looking for, there is one book in particular I'd suggest. It is also available as an ebook, so if having a physical book around is the problem, it won't be for this title:

Seeking the Mystery - An Introduction to Pagan Theologies by C.H. Kraemer.

This is the book that I wanted years ago, and a book I practically could have written myself but lacked the credentials that this author has.

GoodbyeDave

I'd be cautious about the Odinic Rite, since they're "folkish" (which is a more PC term for "white nationalist" (which itself is a PC term for "white supremacist") and a belief that only white people can be Germanic Pagans).
I quoted them as the first heathen site I could find that wasn't Wiccan influenced, like the Odinshof. There may be some racists in the organisation, but that doesn't affect their description of heathen religion. Personally, I can't see being "folkish" is worse than Muslims insisting you pray in Arabic, Jews claiming a special relationship with God, or National Baptist Convention of America being almost entirely black.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I quoted them as the first heathen site I could find that wasn't Wiccan influenced, like the Odinshof. There may be some racists in the organisation, but that doesn't affect their description of heathen religion. Personally, I can't see being "folkish" is worse than Muslims insisting you pray in Arabic, Jews claiming a special relationship with God, or National Baptist Convention of America being almost entirely black.

Yes, it does effect their description of the religion, when they're supporting racism on their site. Just because other religions make rude and stupid exclusivist claims, that doesn't mean we should support or brush off such behavior in Paganism. Racism and racial nationalism are idiotic and hateful and an affront to the Gods as well as an offense to all virtuous people.

Heathens Against Hate Blog

Last edited:

EyeofOdin

Hello, resident Pagans of RF!

So, I have been thinking about reading on Paganism to gain more knowledge of it. The environment I was brought up in generally contained a lot of contempt and hatred for Paganism, so misconceptions about it were extremely common there. I would like to understand it more to fix my own lack of proper knowledge when it comes to its concepts, origins, different types, etc.

What resources would you recommend for me?

Also, if you could provide online resources, I would appreciate that because I most likely wouldn't find many books about Paganism if I looked for hard copies of them here.

From my perception, the pagan community is split into two main groups: Those who are more neopagan/wicca based and those who are based in polytheistic indigenous religions, and I highly encourage you to look through both groups. Look through Gardenarian, Correllian, and Alexandrian Traditions or Goddess traditions such as The Fellowship of Isis. At the same time look through what ancient polytheists believe. Search through Polytheistic Traditions of the Hellenic, Germanic, Kemetic, Celtic etc. peoples.

HexBomb

I'd be cautious about the Odinic Rite, since they're "folkish" (which is a more PC term for "white nationalist" (which itself is a PC term for "white supremacist") and a belief that only white people can be Germanic Pagans). As seen here:

Just to stick my nose in..."folkish" doesn't have to mean that at all. Some organizations use it that way, but I know multiple heathens who consider themselves folkish who are not racist. They simply believe that you are more likely to be called by gods of your ancestors or by gods who are ancestors than to be called by gods who came from half a world away. Some organisations may use folkish in such a manner, but that doesn't mean all folkish heathens are racist, especially since there are folkish heathens who are PoC.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Just to stick my nose in..."folkish" doesn't have to mean that at all. Some organizations use it that way, but I know multiple heathens who consider themselves folkish who are not racist. They simply believe that you are more likely to be called by gods of your ancestors or by gods who are ancestors than to be called by gods who came from half a world away. Some organisations may use folkish in such a manner, but that doesn't mean all folkish heathens are racist, especially since there are folkish heathens who are PoC.

Even so, "folkish" is a term that throws up a lot of red flags for me and with good reason.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
From my perception, the pagan community is split into two main groups: Those who are more neopagan/wicca based and those who are based in polytheistic indigenous religions, and I highly encourage you to look through both groups. Look through Gardenarian, Correllian, and Alexandrian Traditions or Goddess traditions such as The Fellowship of Isis. At the same time look through what ancient polytheists believe. Search through Polytheistic Traditions of the Hellenic, Germanic, Kemetic, Celtic etc. peoples.

I also would recommend looking into the more "primitive" beliefs of animism and shamanism. It's harder to find good reads about these because there are so many varieties. Often, it can be recognized in Chinese and African folk religions, Shinto, Native American beliefs--but traces are still recognizable in many of the other traditions mentioned. Graham Harvey seems to be one author who tries to pull the common threads out of the various traditions into a modern context. Vine Deloria writes very compellingly from a NA perspective.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

I'd add at least a third group in there: non-theistic religious naturalists or humanists who associate with contemporary Paganism. Personally, I'm pretty solid in my requirement that Paganism be at least limited to polytheistic theology, but that doesn't keep these people from existing or at times identifying under the Neopagan umbrella.

It's funny, but I have no idea what "group" I fall under. I'm certainly not a reconstructionist, but I don't fall under the generic Wicca-flavored Neopaganism either. :shrug:

EyeofOdin

I'd add at least a third group in there: non-theistic religious naturalists or humanists who associate with contemporary Paganism. Personally, I'm pretty solid in my requirement that Paganism be at least limited to polytheistic theology, but that doesn't keep these people from existing or at times identifying under the Neopagan umbrella.

It's funny, but I have no idea what "group" I fall under. I'm certainly not a reconstructionist, but I don't fall under the generic Wicca-flavored Neopaganism either. :shrug:

You could be an eclectic polytheist. Personally I don't think that what polytheistic tradition one follows is determined by which gods one worships. Our ancestors from every cultures didn't turn aside a god because he or she was a foreign god. I feel it really has to do with what culture or linguistic group you're coming from.

EyeofOdin

I also would recommend looking into the more "primitive" beliefs of animism and shamanism. It's harder to find good reads about these because there are so many varieties. Often, it can be recognized in Chinese and African folk religions, Shinto, Native American beliefs--but traces are still recognizable in many of the other traditions mentioned. Graham Harvey seems to be one author who tries to pull the common threads out of the various traditions into a modern context. Vine Deloria writes very compellingly from a NA perspective.

Well the indigenous polytheistic religions are animistic and most are shamanic.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
You could be an eclectic polytheist. Personally I don't think that what polytheistic tradition one follows is determined by which gods one worships. Our ancestors from every cultures didn't turn aside a god because he or she was a foreign god. I feel it really has to do with what culture or linguistic group you're coming from.

similar to syncretic imo

But, not likely, I would think his label fits fine. neo=pagan

Last edited:

EyeofOdin

similar to syncretic imo

But, not likely, I would think his label fits fine. neo=pagan

If you do research into ancient beliefs about the gods, you'll find that most of them were syncretic. It's a very monotheist tendency to be against syncretism.

Paganism is a very broad term, it's generally used as an umbrella term for lots of things which can go from Wicca to Renconstructionists, pop culture pagans, eclectic pagans... there's a lot to it and there are many different paths and approaches. Even within the same path, say recons of the same pantheon, you can find different perspectives.

My personal advice is to see which one you're more interested in learning about first and start from there. There's just too much to say there's a single book or a single website to learn from. If anything, I'd advise you to find a decent Pagan forum and read threads, since that'll give you an idea of how much diversity there is within that label.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Not really a Pagan, but I learned a big deal of Druidism from a member here, and it lead me to interest in Wicca. This member recommended me a few books, and I did end u reading "Solitary Practitioner Guide" and own it.

But there's nothing at all that would help more than speaking with the members directly (over the internet would work, IMing).

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
A book that I really enjoyed reading that shed a lot of light on a lot of things for me was Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler :)