• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pagan religions

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
A funny note on Wicca; I was recently tickled while searching the linguistics for what would be the male form of "witch" - I settled upon "witcher" - in the Old English for witch. The female term was wicce, and the male term was wicca. Which amused me in that a modern religion that is so leaned towards the Feminine Divine and - from my observation - mostly populated by women took the male form of the word.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
A funny note on Wicca; I was recently tickled while searching the linguistics for what would be the male form of "witch" - I settled upon "witcher" - in the Old English for witch. The female term was wicce, and the male term was wicca. Which amused me in that a modern religion that is so leaned towards the Feminine Divine and - from my observation - mostly populated by women took the male form of the word.
Originally, the religion itself was not called Wicca. According to Gardner, the witches who initiated him referred to themselves as The Wicca (or, as he initially spelled it, The Wica) and they used the word as it was intended: males were wicca, females were wicce, and the masculine form used to indicate a group (occasionally "Wiccans" or "Wiccas"). The religion itself was referred to as "Craft of". It was non-Gardner witches during a feud in the late 1950s/early 1960s that began referring to the practice itself as Wicca and created the neologism "Gardnerian" as a pejorative.

The 1970s saw the rise of feminism fusing with pagan beliefs to become modern day goddess worship (e.g., Starhawk, Z Budapest). These commonly incorporated elements from Wicca. Whereas actual Wicca has just as many priests as priestesses and the focus is not on goddess worship, not to mention its most prominent leaders have often been male (e.g., Gardner, Sanders, Farrar, Buckland).