• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pagan Gnosticism

gnostic

The Lost One
There is a lot more given about Christian Gnosticism, and to an extent, to Judaic Gnosticism. But what of the Hellenistic Gnosticism? Do they figure largely in today's Gnostic communities?

Have anyone read the Hermetic Writings? I've heard that it mixed Greek with Egyptian religion. I have not yet found a copy of it in any bookstore.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
gnostic said:
There is a lot more given about Christian Gnosticism, and to an extent, to Judaic Gnosticism. But what of the Hellenistic Gnosticism? Do they figure largely in today's Gnostic communities?

Have anyone read the Hermetic Writings? I've heard that it mixed Greek with Egyptian religion. I have not yet found a copy of it in any bookstore.
Well, as usual, i'll be wrong but comment anyway!

~I didn't realize there ARE Gnostic communities today.... if there are, then i may have to go join! :D

~In the Gnostic Bible that I have, there are: Hermetic, Mandean, Manichean, and Islamic Mystic texts. I'm not sure what you mean by Hellenistic... but i'll look it up and get back to you on it.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Buttons* said:
Well, as usual, i'll be wrong but comment anyway!

~I didn't realize there ARE Gnostic communities today.... if there are, then i may have to go join! :D

~In the Gnostic Bible that I have, there are: Hermetic, Mandean, Manichean, and Islamic Mystic texts. I'm not sure what you mean by Hellenistic... but i'll look it up and get back to you on it.
Hellene.... wasn't that a greek city? or a greek period... or something greek. Maybe it's a salad with olives.

gnostic

The Lost One
Hellenistic is a period after Alexander the Great's death (322 BC). Instead of one big Macedonian empire, it was divided by Alexander's general into smaller kingdoms - Macedonia, Thrace, Syria, Egypt, etc (there are more, but I don't remember them). The Hellenistic period ended at the death of Cleopatra (30 BC).

In Egypt, the capital was Alexandria, where Macedonians/Greeks had adopted some of the Egyptian customs, as well as introducing their own culture into Egypt. They had the largest library built at the time. Lots of Jews moved into Egypt, and around that period, were responsible for translating Hebrew Bible into Greek, thus the "Septuagint".

So Hellenistic period is between 322-30 BC, and we would call their art and literature as being Hellenistic in those Hellenistic kingdoms.

Anyway Hellenic means Greek. I am not sure what Hellenistic means, but it has something to do with Greek.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Could you maybe post the original question again in a different way? I dont think I understood what you were asking for....

gnostic

The Lost One
Ok.

The Nag Hammadi texts are written in a largely Christian aspect, right? But there are also non-Christian and non-Judaic gnosticism - such as mixture of Greek and Egyptian gnosticism.

Does anyone follow the pagan Gnosticism, today? Do they find the pagan aspect relevant?

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
gnostic said:
Ok.

The Nag Hammadi texts are written in a largely Christian aspect, right? But there are also non-Christian and non-Judaic gnosticism - such as mixture of Greek and Egyptian gnosticism.

Does anyone follow the pagan Gnosticism, today? Do they find the pagan aspect relevant?
Oh, in that case, I find all the texts relevant! *smiles* Why wouldnt someone accept all that gnostics of different cultures have to say?

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
http://www.gnostics.com/

^-- That's a modern Pagan Gnostic sect. Not really sure how large it is though.

In ancient times the Naassenes were Gnostics who explored the Christian and non-Christian religions of the time. They saw Christ as a deity of Christian mysteries, alongside him they looked into the Roman, Greek and Egyption pantheons as well as Mithraism.

There aren't that many surviving pagan Gnostic texts, but a popular and reasonably famous one is Poimandres.

Hope that's of some help.

I've said this before, but Gnosticism isn't really a religion - its a concept, a way of thinking. It has acquired certain myths which can be seem as aspects of a Gnostic religion e.g. Demiurge and Sophia, but Gnosticism is essentially a way of looking at things.
This way of thinking can be applied to pagan, Christian, Islamic, Buddhist, Hindu or any other religious system - without any real internal contradiction on the part of the individual Gnostic. Heck, you could even be an atheist Gnostic.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Halcyon said:
I've said this before, but Gnosticism isn't really a religion - its a concept, a way of thinking. It has acquired certain myths which can be seem as aspects of a Gnostic religion e.g. Demiurge and Sophia, but Gnosticism is essentially a way of looking at things.
This way of thinking can be applied to pagan, Christian, Islamic, Buddhist, Hindu or any other religious system - without any real internal contradiction on the part of the individual Gnostic. Heck, you could even be an atheist Gnostic.
Couldn't agree more. Gnostic these days seems to be applied only to followers of the Da Vinci Code :banghead3

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
ChrisP said:
Couldn't agree more. Gnostic these days seems to be applied only to followers of the Da Vinci Code :banghead3
.....i cant tell you how much i hate that book...

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
ChrisP said:
Says the self-diagnosed RF addict. :devil:
Hey, there's nothing wrong with my addiction! Many other people suffer the same...

...but you picking on me, well, its just not normal! o.0

gnostic

The Lost One
I like the Da Vinci's Code. It is a good fiction and a good thriller.

As to accuracy to sources, I didn't pay that much attention to it - because it is fiction, and like all fiction it is rarely based entirely on the sources - you will expect some author's exaggeration or changes to the original to fit their own storytelling. What's it call? "poetic license"?

I love myths - like Greek and Norse, but if I was to read modern novels of - say the Trojan War - I don't expect the novelists to follow exactly to the translation of Homer's Iliad.

I don't read modern novels of the Trojan War, though, because they are often crap.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
gnostic said:
I like the Da Vinci's Code. It is a good fiction and a good thriller.

As to accuracy to sources, I didn't pay that much attention to it - because it is fiction, and like all fiction it is rarely based entirely on the sources - you will expect some author's exaggeration or changes to the original to fit their own storytelling. What's it call? "poetic license"?

I love myths - like Greek and Norse, but if I was to read modern novels of - say the Trojan War - I don't expect the novelists to follow exactly to the translation of Homer's Iliad.

I don't read modern novels of the Trojan War, though, because they are often crap.
I know its just a book, but i really dont like how people refrence it to me. People say, "did you know that there's a goddess?".... I guess I'm more upset with people's stupidity than the book itself.

gnostic

The Lost One
But I don't think many people know about Gnosticism. I didn't know about Gnosticism until a few years ago. And I didn't investigate until late 2004. Goddess or the feminine principle is not so well publicised.

ps I didn't investigate Gnosticism because of the Da Vinci's Code. I didn't read the novel, until much of the raving had died down.