• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pagan Burial?

Nisou Kitsune

Resident Anime Freak
I asked this in the Discuss section, but I would like to hear strictly pagan burials.

What would you do? How do you feel about donating your organs after you die? What about viewing or all the things that people do after you are dead to make themselves feel better? How about embalming?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
This is far more complicated than it may seem, because of diversity. There were/are over 500 different and distinct native (first nations) tribes in North America, each with different clothing, food, language, death customs, etc. Closeness in these things tended to happen on a geopgraphic basis The Europeans had a tendency to oversimplify things.

Here's a link to the tree burial of some Plains tribes, just for example... Canada's First Nations: Native Civilisations

Good luck with your research.

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
Like I said on the other thread, Viking Burial!!!!!

If I can't do it the traditional way, I'll be cremated and have my ashes buried in a Viking Stone Ship burial. People can have my organs, I won't need them! But I want to keep my heart and brain. hahahaha

Noaidi

slow walker
Cardboard / wicker coffin in the ground with a tree planted over it.
If my organs work, anyone who needs them can have them (might not want my liver, though!)

Nisou Kitsune

Resident Anime Freak

I think this is what I want, and maybe without a coffin at all if I can get away with it. A white cotton burial sheet or blanket, various flowers (depending on the season), some symbols along with the pentacle I would wear, my staff, and I'd be naked. The sheet would only be so that people would we spared from seeing my body.

Later, I would like for my coven to do a Requiem. :candle: Then, PARTY!!! Whoot whoot! Drinks, food, laughing, cheering, and generally having a great old time. Live it up, cuz Im already in a great place. :yes:

I dont know about my organs, honestly. I would like to be whole when I see the Goddess, but I would think that she would be more pleased if I could help others out in my final time, as like a last good deed.

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
If my organs work, anyone who needs them can have them (might not want my liver, though!)

That's very interesting. You may have changed my mind a little. If I can't be burned on a ship, I'll be buried in a Stone Ship and then have a tree planted over me at the same time!! :D

Mata

Insert Witty Title Here
I am unsure. But a burial mound has always been something that has appealed to me. I'd wanna be stuck in there with no embalming and have either a stone cairn or tree on top. muhaha

Nisou Kitsune

Resident Anime Freak
Yeah, embalming is a very very nasty procedure, and even though Ill be dead, i cant help but feel like its so disgusting. The only real reason you are embalmed is so that people can view your dead body one last time. :/

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yeah, embalming is a very very nasty procedure, and even though Ill be dead, i cant help but feel like its so disgusting. The only real reason you are embalmed is so that people can view your dead body one last time. :/

Get in in your living directive, or they'll embalm you. Make sure a close relative or friend knows these wishes, and the whereabouts of it in writing. I'm just sayin...

Mata

Insert Witty Title Here

Not to mention that it's very bad for the environment!

Vorinn

I would have no problem donating organs (and am officially registered as such). Once I die, I am done with this body - whatever part of me that might move on won't need my organs.

I like the idea of cremation and having my ashes scattered in places that are beautiful and meaningful to me, but on the other hand cremation has its own environmental problems. The green burial movement definitely appeals to me, as to others here. So I'm still undecided on that front. Definitely no embalming, though. Yecch!

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
I decided quite a while ago that I wanted to buried in a green cemetery. I also want to have a tree planted above me, specifically an oak. They can have my organs, as I will not be needing them. My highest hope is that my spirit (if it exists) will be transferred in to the tree. I want to be a tree.

Antiochian

Rationalist
In the United States and I believe parts of Canada, we have this weird terror of decay. We want to "protect" our loved ones from the earth, the water, and all the little critters that live deep down in it, so we spend money on concrete burial vaults that surround the casket/coffin in the earth and "protect" it, and we buy expensive steel and metal caskets that will supposedly never leak. Whether or not they ever will is another issue. All too often, the casket is seen as a symbol of one's socio-economic status. The quality of casket chosen is also seen as somehow reflective of how much you loved the person. At least that's what I've seen culturally at funerals over the years.

When I bought my parents' burial lots in my hometown cemetery, I bought one for myself as well. Since vaults are required with traditional burials, I may opt to have my ashes interred there. I'd like some sort of Pagan symbol on my headstone, such as a triquetra, or a triple moon, both of which are less well-known as Pagan symbols than the pentacle. I'd also like some kind of gay pride symbol as well.

Otherwise, I may sell my lot or give it to a sibling, and just have my ashes scattered in various locales that have some significance to me.

As for Pagan-oriented funeral rites, I don't know much about this. If you aren't part of an incorporated Pagan organization, and have no clergy to officiate, you may have to make up your own service and find someone who'd be willing to read it. If you're the only Pagan in your family, make your wishes known, lest your corpse wind up in the sanctuary of First Baptist or St. Joe's, complete with scripture readings and other horrors.

I'd love to have some Pagan chants said at my service, and some Pagan prayers and such. If there's no one available or willing to do it, though, a secular service with poetry readings is the next best thing.

Rev. Selena Fox has started a Pagan cemetery in Wisconsin called Circle Cemetery, and she can officiate at a green burial there. Not exactly sure of the link, but think it's www.circlesanctuary.org.

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!
I completely agree with what many people have already said. :yes: For me, it would be hypocritical not to recycle my body completely: I'm an organ donor, and I prefer sky burial (leave me out under the eye of the sun and moon, and let the crows etc. have the eyes and all the other yummy bits, then whoever wants the rest and can benefit by it) or, if that's not possible for hygienic reasons, the green burial described by others. This body came from the earth, has been and continues to be nourished through the deaths of countless others, and should return to the earth to nourish others in return.

Embalming is a complete abomination, given this viewpoint.