• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pacifism

rocala

Again, it is a convention because we would not want our soldiers to be shot after capture.
Actually, I for one, and no doubt most people, would not want any soldiers shot after capture.
War crimes, eh. Severe penalties by UN!
Considering the lengths to which some go to avoid capture, possibly not quite the soft option you imagine.
Severe penalties by UN!
Not just the U.N.
"Through international treaties the UK has a responsibility to investigate and prosecute those who have committed core international crimes."

Last but far from least I will mention the mental health of the perpetrator. Some years ago I saw an old man in a pub start crying. I asked if I could be of help to him. He eventually recounted his murdering a German prisoner in 1940. All those years later he was finding the emotional pain an awful burdon. I spent some time with him and found it a powerful experience and unlike your 'armchair philosophizing' quite unforgettable.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Not just the U.N.
"Through international treaties the UK has a responsibility to investigate and prosecute those who have committed core international crimes."

Last but far from least I will mention the mental health of the perpetrator. Some years ago I saw an old man in a pub start crying. I asked if I could be of help to him. He eventually recounted his murdering a German prisoner in 1940. All those years later he was finding the emotional pain an awful burdon. I spent some time with him and found it a powerful experience and unlike your 'armchair philosophizing' quite unforgettable.
Well, they may try it on Putin, Kim Jong or Xi (if Taiwan is attacked, seems like they are itching for it).
The person needed psychological treatment. These things happen in wars and should not be taken so seriously. Was it just one person that he killed? Probably his gun may have killed other soldiers too. He does not remember others because he did not see them die. As I said, war is a dirty business for all involved, nothing pleasurable about it. It should be avoided if that is possible, but some situations demand it.

rocala

I said no mercy. Why should you have taken them as prisoners unless you wanted to extract some information from them. Otherwise just shoot.

We may take prisoners in war because we have have to exchange them with our own people who may have been taken as prisoners. Let us be practical and not emotional.

Again, it is a convention

These things happen in wars and should not be taken so seriously.
Some years I was taking a course in criminology, I was particularly interested in what some called the "sexually sadistic psychopath." As a result I read various accounts of offenders chatting about their crimes. Saying who should live and who should not, and why. All done without any feeling whatsoever.
I find it very disturbing how like those monsters you sound.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Some years I was taking a course in criminology, I was particularly interested in what some called the "sexually sadistic psychopath." As a result I read various accounts of offenders chatting about their crimes. Saying who should live and who should not, and why. All done without any feeling whatsoever.
I find it very disturbing how like those monsters you sound.
I am no war lover. Indians, Hindus, are not war lovers. But when it becomes duty, then it has to be done. Did we want the four wars that we had with Pakistan or skirmishes with China? Do we want to usurp someone else's land?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
No, love is an emotion. Something which your posts indicate is somewhat lacking.
I neither love nor hate war. Depends on the circumstances. Must be fought if absolutely necessary. Nothing here about emotions, only 'dharma' (duty).
Like what happened in Mahabharata war (as per the myth).

MonkeyFire

Please stay on topic. War is both postive and negative, and it should be avoided, but that doesn’t mean people won’t be helped.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Would you be a pacifist believer? We believe in ahimsa, inner peace, and equanimity as one thing called pacifism. I see pacifism as a religious quality, and a human nature. If you think about it as long as you fight you can’t be in Heaven, because if you did it would be the most sadistic thing, then pacifism is basically impossible to human perception. You have to be hard core hippie to cultivate enough equanimity to make a man faint. With pacifism we easily destroy and inflame good and bad emotions. Be fair to haters to create non-violence or there is no negative energy, and believe in passive temperance. IMO everyone should be passive for two reasons; first, to be happy, and secondly to be healthy emotionally.
The only effective pacifism is the one that prepares for war.

Ciao

- viole

Audie

Veteran Member
But no matter what you say you must have suffered to have fought, and to prolong fighting is evil. War is transgression, and pacifism can give you karma. Fighting should be an absolute final option. Culture is more important, because it is love. There is nothing like being a passive believer, because we respect and love all things, even a fighter, and to each his own.
How long is"prolong"? I should go pacifist halfway through
fending off an attacker?

Passive is for the dead.

And btw, loving " everything" is loving nothing.

We here understand that " love" is in what you do. Not in
how you feel (self indulgence) or talks. (Words are cheap)

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Would you be a pacifist believer? We believe in ahimsa, inner peace, and equanimity as one thing called pacifism. I see pacifism as a religious quality, and a human nature. If you think about it as long as you fight you can’t be in Heaven, because if you did it would be the most sadistic thing, then pacifism is basically impossible to human perception. You have to be hard core hippie to cultivate enough equanimity to make a man faint. With pacifism we easily destroy and inflame good and bad emotions. Be fair to haters to create non-violence or there is no negative energy, and believe in passive temperance. IMO everyone should be passive for two reasons; first, to be happy, and secondly to be healthy emotionally.
I'll be really honest with you. I consider pacifism to be immoral, because it disarms good in the battle against evil.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I'll be really honest with you. I consider pacifism to be immoral, because it disarms good in the battle against evil.
There's a difference between "pacificism" and "non-cooperative non-violence", and the latter was enough to dismantle the British Empire. Does it always work? Of course not, but neither does fighting back.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I encourage pacifism, but like any extreme, too much or too little is completely destructive.

I think a good balance between pacifism and war is in the best interest to maintain equilibrium.