• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pacifism, the Lamb of God

Would you be passive if you could?

• Total voters

MonkeyFire

Not always possible.

That's not true... heaven is simple, hate is difficult

Do you realize that their are other people in this world besides you? You comes off as a very selfish person

Yes I'm passive to everyone as I can create safety and pleasure out of peace of mind.

When your mind is totally call, there is no need for use of voilence. Nothing kind of make a spark to fight others.

Violence is it's own worst enemy. Like a paradox.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
God mentions pacifism at least 5 times through out the bible including the beginning and end; the forbidden fruit, the first commandment, non-resistence, the first horseman of the apocalypse who conquers, and armageddon the final battle between good and evil. The rest of the bible is about the fall of man and basically is why Jesus was martyred.
I am not a Christian though so, respectfully, I must disagree with your theology. These quotes sum it for me,

Qohelet 3:3: A time to kill and a time to heal; a time to break and a time to build.
Qohelet 3:9: A time to love and a time to hate; a time for war and a time for peace.

I used to have an impression built up in my mind, that a “spiritual” person should have like a completely peaceable, silent, turn the other cheek, turn a blind eye, have a completely passive behavior. Had a change of heart and mind awhile back.

While those qualities are very good in many instances ~ they are also terrible in many other instances. A lot of those lead to being a doormat, an obeying puppet, watching evil just carry on and doing nothing.

Middle road now ~ one should intuitively know when to just simply be with those qualities and also when to be bold, rise up, speak up, and meet certain things with staunch resistance.

whirlingmerc

If you had the power to make yourself safe only using inner peace and equanimity (pacifism) would you? If you knew about the relationship between peace of mind, and love, and happiness would you do it, or would you go on getting happiness from violence? To be happy and safe at the same would be nirvana.

Jesus is described as both a lamb and a lion.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If you had the power to make yourself safe only using inner peace and equanimity (pacifism) would you? If you knew about the relationship between peace of mind, and love, and happiness would you do it, or would you go on getting happiness from violence? To be happy and safe at the same would be nirvana.
I would be the impenetrable shield and drive the violent ones crazy.

MonkeyFire

I used to have an impression built up in my mind, that a “spiritual” person should have like a completely peaceable, silent, turn the other cheek, turn a blind eye, have a completely passive behavior. Had a change of heart and mind awhile back.

While those qualities are very good in many instances ~ they are also terrible in many other instances. A lot of those lead to being a doormat, an obeying puppet, watching evil just carry on and doing nothing.

Middle road now ~ one should intuitively know when to just simply be with those qualities and also when to be bold, rise up, speak up, and meet certain things with staunch resistance.

I can be safe while being passive by letting hell burn itself.

Jesus is described as both a lamb and a lion.

I agree with that, but I am wise so I am immune to violence.

wellwisher

Strong emotions like anger or fear; fight or flight, causes the brain waves to speed up, so seconds seem to take longer. Although this helps the animal to react to the threatening situation, in the least amount of time, it is not useful for the rational mind, because it reduces the time to think before impulsive action is applied. If I jump from behind a door and scare you, you may react with a scream. The fight/flight response is triggered and there is not enough time to think this through, to avoid the embarrassment.

On the other hand, time flies when you are having fun. In this case, the brain slow down brain wave frequency and this changes our perception of time in the opposite direction. For example, if one was playing a fun new video game, hours can go by in what seems like minutes. In this case, one is relaxed and your reasoning comes easy, in terms of game play and strategy. If you get mad, the brain speeds up and we make mistakes and the game seems to drag.

In terms of the lamb and lion, the lamb is gentle and calm. It symbolizes brain waves moving slower so time is moving slower and reason is easy. One can now make better decisions. Anger speeds up time to where impulse will rule the day and where reason cannot keep up. The lion is not merciful, since he can't reason his actions through, with so much lion adrenaline and impulse.

Jesus tried to teach people, how to use their brains more efficiently. He taught them to avoid the fight or flight response, if possible. Don't allow your brain waves to go beta. Instead remain calm, such as by saying something nice to neutralize the situation, or by turning the other cheek; use alpha waves. If you can do this and maintain calmness, you can think it through, and you will know the best action, before you act.

Professional fighters and soldiers are trained to avoid the fight or flight reaction. They are expose to fear and aggression so they get used to it and can control it. They need to maintain calmness of mind, so they can stick with the training. This will protect them.

The doctrine of faith and love was a way to lower the brain wave frequency in terms of living. Faith and love could allow one to overcome that constant fear of death, that plagues so many people. One need to learn to remain calm, so even if one passes through the valley of death, you can remain objective.