• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Overpopulation?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
What does that have to do with what I posted?
People deciding that the right thing to do, under the circumstances, is not to have kids has nothing to do with your vague conspiracy theory. The one about "they" "created" low sperm count in Western peoples.

Breeding is simply not the same as it was a thousand years ago, morally. Things are dramatically different today. Breeding, when you can't provide the essentials of a solid upbringing, isn't a moral choice. It's immoral. I don't really care what you think that God thinks about that.
Tom

socharlie

People deciding that the right thing to do, under the circumstances, is not to have kids has nothing to do with your vague conspiracy theory. The one about "they" "created" low sperm count in Western peoples.

Breeding is simply not the same as it was a thousand years ago, morally. Things are dramatically different today. Breeding, when you can't provide the essentials of a solid upbringing, isn't a moral choice. It's immoral. I don't really care what you think that God thinks about that.
Tom
a lot, GW is invented to redistribute wealth and spook people into not having children, it works, in sum it works - population trending down.
I do not mind if Earth population decreases because of better education and living standards.

socharlie

Tom
I did my research of population issue, I am not ignorant of what is going on. As I said, I have no issue with humane depopulation methods , abortions and bombing civilians and outright deceptions is not what I advocate.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
a lot, GW is invented to redistribute wealth and spook people into not having children, it works, in sum it works - population trending down.
No it isn't.
That's simply wrong, and the stats are available to find for yourself. Population is still growing.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I did my research of population issue, I am not ignorant of what is going on.
You don't even know the basics. Population growth has slowed down but it's still growing. And there's no particular reason to think it will stop any time soon.
Tom

socharlie

You don't even know the basics. Population growth has slowed down but it's still growing. And there's no particular reason to think it will stop any time soon.
Tom
yes, it may take 50-100 years. In some countries it is happening , e.g. Japan, 10 + countries in Europe.
Ukraine: 0.8% natural decrease annually; 28% total population decrease by 2050
Russia: -0.6%; -22%
Belarus: -0.6%; -12%
Bulgaria: -0.5%; -34%
Latvia: -0.5%; -23%
Lithuania: -0.4%; -15%
Hungary: -0.3%; -11%
Romania: -0.2%; -29%
Estonia: -0.2%; -23%
Moldova: -0.2%; -21%
Croatia: -0.2%; -14%
Germany: -0.2%; -9%
Czech Republic: -0.1%; -8%
Japan: 0%; -21%
Poland: 0%; -17%
Slovakia: 0%; -12%
Austria: 0%; 8% increase
Italy: 0%; -5%
Slovenia: 0%; -5%
Greece: 0%; -4%

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
My sisters are very smart... one says there is plenty of land for farming and another says China's population is going into a downward spiral. Africa is spreading population.

I have also heard a very smart man saying its the number one problem.

What do you think? I particularly want to know what evidence you have for your side. Thank you for participating.

Human overpopulation is one facet of the broader issue of human impacts on this planet. It's better to think of it using the I=PAT equation, which was developed by environmental ethicists in the 70s. In simple terms, human impact "I" on the biosphere is the multiplicative product of "P" (human population), "A" (affluence, or consumption per unit of population), and "T" (technology, or resource-intensiveness of consumption). Accounting for all three components is required to successfully lower human impacts. All of these factors are well-established drivers of environmental issues, and I'd suggest cruising to your local public library to check out some works on it if you're truly interested.

It's worth remembering that part of the point of these equations is to remember that the planet is not just about humans. Human growth has come at the expense of the rest of the world; we basically operate like an invasive species. Human impacts on this planet have caused mass-scale ecocide and a sixth mass extinction event (see Accelerated modern human–induced species losses: Entering the sixth mass extinction - for a good summary paper on this that was published recently), which is abominable regardless of the ramifications this has for humans. Anyway, I digress.

A few resources on human overpopulation specifically (really, there is a ton of stuff out there - visit your local public library):

socharlie

Human overpopulation is one facet of the broader issue of human impacts on this planet. It's better to think of it using the I=PAT equation, which was developed by environmental ethicists in the 70s. In simple terms, human impact "I" on the biosphere is the multiplicative product of "P" (human population), "A" (affluence, or consumption per unit of population), and "T" (technology, or resource-intensiveness of consumption). Accounting for all three components is required to successfully lower human impacts. All of these factors are well-established drivers of environmental issues, and I'd suggest cruising to your local public library to check out some works on it if you're truly interested.

It's worth remembering that part of the point of these equations is to remember that the planet is not just about humans. Human growth has come at the expense of the rest of the world; we basically operate like an invasive species. Human impacts on this planet have caused mass-scale ecocide and a sixth mass extinction event (see Accelerated modern human–induced species losses: Entering the sixth mass extinction - for a good summary paper on this that was published recently), which is abominable regardless of the ramifications this has for humans. Anyway, I digress.

A few resources on human overpopulation specifically (really, there is a ton of stuff out there - visit your local public library):

birth rates are down death rates are down too but far from to be equal to birth rate drop, population grows rate is going down and will turn negative as I Japan. India - Population growth rate - Historical Data Graphs per Year
Check major countries like China, India, Mexico...you see the trend.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
My sisters are very smart... one says there is plenty of land for farming and another says China's population is going into a downward spiral. Africa is spreading population.

I have also heard a very smart man saying its the number one problem.

What do you think? I particularly want to know what evidence you have for your side. Thank you for participating.
There is approximately .75 square miles of living area per person taking just the farmland available and not taking into account that people live on mountains, high rises than allow multiple families living in just one building, desserts etc, etc. etc. if my calculations are correct.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
My understanding is that people are basically having about two children per family so that's good. I am following the thread.

Ponder This

Generally speaking, populations grow to fit their environment. Concern about overpopulation is largely hyped up to be more than it is.

Maybe you are thinking: "But, there is a limit to the number of people we can sustain on this planet."

And, of course, that's exactly the point. The reason the population has continued to increase is precisely because we haven't reached the limit to the number of people this planet can sustain. Raw population values are a red herring, whether it is 3 billion, 7 billion, 11 billion, or even 18 billion.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - attributed to Benjamin Disraeli by Mark Twain

We can't predict at what point our population will stabilize. Anybody who says he can, is selling something... probably eco-friendly advice. Take good advice, but ignore bad mathematics.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Behavioral sink - Wikipedia

This was a fascinating experiment tested in the 60-70's. That test the effects of overpopulation. Before anyone gets upset rats are not the same as humans of course. But you can see some correlation in today's world, with what happened in the behavioral sink experiment, that are similar.