• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Overheard at the Republican Convention

Karl R

Interviewer: "Do you believe a candidate's personal life should be an issue."
Jerry Fallwell, Jr.: "Jesus said we all have sinned. It's like Jesus said when he met the woman at the well, who had been married to five times and was living with another man, and the crowd was about to stone her. He said, 'Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.'"

Context: The woman at the well who had multiple wives (John 4) and the adulterous woman who was about to be stoned (John 8) were two different women.

Jerry Falwell, Jr. is the son of the Jerry Falwell (televangelist, evangelical southern baptist minister and conservative political commentator). Jerry Falwell, Jr. got his secondary education from a christian private school, then attended Liberty University (the christian college founded by his father), where he got a bachelor's degree in Religious Studies. Jerry Falwell, Jr. has now taken over as president of Liberty University.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Jerry Fallwell, Jr.: "Jesus said we all have sinned. It's like Jesus said when he met the woman at the well, who had been married to five times and was living with another man, and the crowd was about to stone her. He said, 'Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.'"

Context: The woman at the well who had multiple wives (John 4) and the adulterous woman who was about to be stoned (John 8) were two different women.

Jerry Falwell, Jr. is the son of the Jerry Falwell (televangelist, evangelical southern baptist minister and conservative political commentator). Jerry Falwell, Jr. got his secondary education from a christian private school, then attended Liberty University (the christian college founded by his father), where he got a bachelor's degree in Religious Studies. Jerry Falwell, Jr. has now taken over as president of Liberty University.

Duh!! I've never trusted these people from the old man down; especially when I found out Jerry, Sr. conned my grandmother into buying a Bible.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Hillary Clinton trolls Chris Christie with brutal, never-before-seen video of them hugging.

"All I do is hug Democrats. It gets me in trouble all the time. All the time," Christie said, as Clinton laughed.
Hillary_Clinton_trolls_Chris_Christie-5176b9d9b80202696c1a77f27377a44b

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/hillary-clinton-trolls-chris-christie-214008473.html

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
"All I do is hug Democrats. It gets me in trouble all the time. All the time," Christie said, as Clinton laughed.
Then again, what else can you do but hug a Democrat. It's not like you can actually talk to them, LOL. (Sorry, couldn't resists such an easy setup.)

*Braces for possible responses*

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

In regards to the OP, I'm a bit surprised that anyone would be surprised by this. Still, it is instructive, though it will likely have little effect on the loyalty of his sheep.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Then again, what else can you do but hug a Democrat. It's not like you can actually talk to them, LOL. (Sorry, couldn't resists such an easy setup.)

*Braces for possible responses*
You may have a point here. Republicans have a need for certainty. They prefer simplistic, black and white explanations and are intolerant of ambiguity.* They also tend to score high on Altemeyer's RWA scale, so tend to uncritically accept whatever an accepted authority figure says. This does make communication with us problematic. They'll try to talk to us, but if we reply with anything nuanced or requiring factual or historical analysis, they tend to become confused and belligerent.

(sorry -- couldn't resist retort)
*Braces for chorus of "USA! USA! USA!*" :D

* http://faculty.virginia.edu/haidtlab/jost.glaser.political-conservatism-as-motivated-social-cog.pdf

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
You may have a point here. Republicans have a need for certainty. They prefer simplistic, black and white explanations and are intolerant of ambiguity.* They also tend to score high on Altemeyer's RWA scale, so tend to uncritically accept whatever an accepted authority figure says. This does make communication with us problematic. They'll try to talk to us, but if we reply with anything nuanced or requiring factual or historical analysis, they tend to become confused and belligerent.

(sorry -- couldn't resist retort)
*Braces for chorus of "USA! USA! USA!*" :D

* http://faculty.virginia.edu/haidtlab/jost.glaser.political-conservatism-as-motivated-social-cog.pdf
Fortunately, I'm a Canadian conservative and bear little resemblance on many social issues with my kindred spirits below the 49th. I do hear you though. The overbearing religious and nationalistic rhetoric is a bit nauseating.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You may have a point here. Republicans have a need for certainty. They prefer simplistic, black and white explanations and are intolerant of ambiguity.* .......if we reply with anything nuanced or requiring factual or historical analysis, they tend to become confused and belligerent.
One could replace "Republican" with "Democrat" in this post, & it would work quite well.
Foreign policy, economics, etc....both pander with simplistic messages, & get so much so very wrong.
There's been not one election when I've looked at the Big Two's offerings, & thought one looked good.
It's always been a question of.....
Is one so much worse than the other that I'll skip my 3rd party choice to try to prevent one from winning?

Dems & Pubs both look at themselves with such self congratulatory superiority, & at the other with
such snide hatred.
They never see the inherent irony in this.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No, they're not interchangeable.
Liberals and conservatives are often quite different creatures, both organically and psychologically. Their thought processes, world-views, moral foundations and reactions to stimuli are different. Organic and neurological differences are visible on MRIs and fMRIs.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, they're not interchangeable.
Liberals and conservatives are often quite different creatures, both organically and psychologically. Their thought processes, world-views, moral foundations and reactions to stimuli are different. Organic and neurological differences are visible on MRIs and fMRIs.
I say there is more difference between liberals & conservatives (modern US usage) than between Dems & Pubs.
They think they're really fundamentally different, but I see great similarity in the traits under discussion.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
People are actually separable into eight basic political types, each type of which is mostly formed of three personality frames; so your three personality frames help you to find which political group you fit into: Republican or Democrat.