• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Overeating is a sin

Remté

It is a problem in the world so much of certain foods are consumed - someone might say so much of nearly all foods are consumed.

In conversation regarding this the first excuse in defence of the human kind tends to be overpopulation. But to think that if people all over the world could eat much less and be well perhaps that is our fault.

Maybe we shouldn't use overpopulation as an excuse to all problems and see that overeating is against God's guidance. (In both bible and the Quran at least.)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It is a problem in the world so much of certain foods are consumed - someone might say so much of nearly all foods are consumed.

In conversation regarding this the first excuse in defence of the human kind tends to be overpopulation. But to think that if people all over the world could eat much less and be well perhaps that is our fault.

Maybe we shouldn't use overpopulation as an excuse to all problems and see that overeating is against God's guidance. (In both bible and the Quran at least.)

Yes, I sometimes try to imagine all of the chickens slaughtered on a daily basis to feed folks in the west. We got to produce a massive amount of chickens to feed ourselves.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's more that a small percentage of the world's population (typically Western and industrialized nations, especially America) tends to disproportionately consume (and waste) way more than the rest of the world (we also tend to eat unnecessarily large portions). Huge swathes of the global population still don't have access to clean water for drinking and hygiene, and starvation is still an ugly killer on the prowl.
And even still there are too many of us, and we are rapidly depleting numerous natural resources faster than the Earth can replace them. A few billion less of us would go a long way in making resources last and reducing the demands and pressures we put on the Earth and everything that lives on it.

Jumi

There's too many people if we're going to bring everyone up to the modern era, including those in countries that grow their populations selfishly. There's two options, one is that we put way more focus (and money) on science and sustainable technology or we end up wasting our resources and the planet. The more people we have, the more urgent our situation becomes. It's too late to cry when we see the coffin.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I don't see it as a sin but I would certainly agree it's not good for a person's health and well being.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It takes away from others. It supports the distruction of the world and it is caused by spiritual/mental lackings.
Spiritual is not interchangeable with mental, and calling someone sinful for overeating from depression or anxiety is just as bad as calling them sinful for being lazy and slothful if they just don't have any energy or motivation and sleep the day away.

Remté

Spiritual is not interchangeable with mental, and calling someone sinful for overeating from depression or anxiety is just as bad as calling them sinful for being lazy and slothful if they just don't have any energy or motivation and sleep the day away.
Well you better not call them sinful then. However, it is a sin regardless - perhaps it can be forgiven?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well you better not call them sinful then. However, it is a sin regardless - perhaps it can be forgiven?
Really, depression is so bad it can turn eating into a laborious chore that you just don't have the will to do, or make it so that you still feel hungry even though you feel like your belly is about to burst. Calling someone in such a state "sinful" and suggesting they need to be "forgiven" isn't helping. Chances are very good they feel terrible enough as it is without having religious baggage that has no place in an evidence based practice (because it comes with a very high risk of making things worse) thrown on top of it.

Remté

Really, depression is so bad it can turn eating into a laborious chore that you just don't have the will to do, or make it so that you still feel hungry even though you feel like your belly is about to burst. Calling someone in such a state "sinful" and suggesting they need to be "forgiven" isn't helping. Chances are very good they feel terrible enough as it is without having religious baggage that has no place in an evidence based practice (because it comes with a very high risk of making things worse) thrown on top of it.
I didn't say they need to be forgiven nor did I suggest you should go tell them they are sinful. I think the word in itself gives a different impression to it being a sin. I wouldn't call it sinful, only a sin (though I don't know on an academic level if there needs to be a great difference between them - it's just my impression).

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Open window supermarkets creates the most food waste in this nation by far. It has less to do with overeating and more to do with instant gratification. Ready to eat, low shelf life and off season foods sitting in display windows rot too fast and are chucked if anything has a slight blemish. The amount of edible food that gets tossed out of grocery stores every day is dizzying.
Supermarkets Waste Tons Of Food As They Woo Shoppers
You want to reduce food waste? If you can, buy directly from farmers and eat in-season local food. Take up gleaning to get what would otherwise be wasted on the vine or tree harvested. Prepare your own food where possible.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Most of them have control to some extent.
If you have depression, you have no control as to whether or not you're feeling depressed. It's why some people get disabilities for it, because it can erode at one's ability to function and take care of themselves, because every day can be a monumental struggle just to get out of bed.
They need people giving them a helping hand to get out of bed, not there going on about their sinful behavior.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I said "can be" not "needs to be".
If it "can be forgiven" it means there is a reason for it to be forgiven. Struggles against depression, which can lead to behaviors you consider sinful, are not sinful. Do you think a depressed person really wanted to eat a whole bag of potato chips? They know it's not good for them, but it's easy to do without realizing it. Do you think they want to fall into a trap of comfort food?
If intention means nothing, your concept of sin is something I have no use for.

Remté

If you have depression, you have no control as to whether or not you're feeling depressed. It's why some people get disabilities for it, because it can erode at one's ability to function and take care of themselves, because every day can be a monumental struggle just to get out of bed.
They need people giving them a helping hand to get out of bed, not there going on about their sinful behavior.
I'm talking about eating and I said *most* have control *to some extent*. Which is true no matter how exaggarated examples you write.

Remté

If it "can be forgiven" it means there is a reason for it to be forgiven.
Well I said perhaps it can be forgiven. Or excused.

Struggles against depression, which can lead to behaviors you consider sinful, are not sinful.
That's your opinion.

Do you think a depressed person really wanted to eat a whole bag of potato chips?
On many occasions yes - it doesn't require being depressed either. Nor should I think there is anything wrong with eating a whole bag of chips.