• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Overcoming An Objection To Simulism

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Simulism is the hypothesis that all of this reality and all of us are in fact parts of a gigantic computer simulation. I believe it could be developed into a kind of secular philosophy, although I also believe it is possible to believe in God and in Simulism. As I do.

One objection to Simulism regards the consequences of people believing in it: it is said that if people were to realise they were in a simulation then everyone would go mad and human life would lose all value, and there’d be no place for morality, and nothing would matter (I call this "the everyone will go mad hypothesis") I’ve found that this often comes up when discussing Simulism, almost as much as The Matrix.

Simulism – as I understand it – has at least three features in common with Hinduism (please, correct me if I'm wrong):

1) A belief in reincarnation
2) A belief that reality is illusory – the “maya” in Hinduism and “the simulation” in Simulism
3) A system of Karma in operation

I find this astonishing. I was unaware of these similarities until recently.

Then there is this fact: 1 billion Hindus believe reality is somehow illusory (a similar belief to believing in a simulation) and they haven’t been driven mad, indeed most live happy, peaceful, ethical and productive lives – therefore I believe the objection that Simulism would be bad for social and moral order is not valid as Hinduism is not bad for these things.

I believe that in Simulism as a philosophy (and maybe also Hinduism too - I wouldn't know) it would be largely the belief in reincarnation and in karma that would prevent everyone going mad due to believing reality is illusory (by making certain acts have certain consequences) although I don't believe that the belief in an illusory reality does necessarily leads to everyone going mad. But then there will always be mad people, that's life.

Are there any Hindus here?​

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Simulism is the hypothesis that all of this reality and all of us are in fact parts of a gigantic computer simulation.
Its not a scientific hypothesis. A scientific hypothesis consists only of those ideas required to explain phenomena, and it has to be testable. Some physicists pondered sumulation a little, but simulism has never been a hypothesis. Even simulation does not count as scientific beyond an entertaining concept. Please do not try to loop science in with whatever this is. There's no science to it. There are not teams of researchers looking into it or trying to test simulism.

Simulism – as I understand it – has at least three features in common with Hinduism
It is a form of Hinduism, not science. As with Hinduism sumulism has those three assumptions, none of which would be required by a scientific hypothesis.

WalterTrull

Godfella
Simulate what?
It is my opinion that what we're looking at is definitely real, but really what?
I believe it's real, but subjective.
To be subjective, I'd think it'd have to be mental. (Really mental)
I think that's the meaning behind "Our father who art in heaven"
(It seems I "think" a lot. Not very attractive prose.)

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Its not a scientific hypothesis. A scientific hypothesis consists only of those ideas required to explain phenomena, and it has to be testable. Some physicists pondered sumulation a little, but simulism has never been a hypothesis. Even simulation does not count as scientific beyond an entertaining concept. Please do not try to loop science in with whatever this is. There's no science to it. There are not teams of researchers looking into it or trying to test simulism.

It is a form of Hinduism, not science. As with Hinduism sumulism has those three assumptions, none of which would be required by a scientific hypothesis.

Thank you!

Your criticism improves me :)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Simulism is the hypothesis that all of this reality and all of us are in fact parts of a gigantic computer simulation. I believe it could be developed into a kind of secular philosophy, although I also believe it is possible to believe in God and in Simulism. As I do.

One objection to Simulism regards the consequences of people believing in it: it is said that if people were to realise they were in a simulation then everyone would go mad and human life would lose all value, and there’d be no place for morality, and nothing would matter (I call this "the everyone will go mad hypothesis") I’ve found that this often comes up when discussing Simulism, almost as much as The Matrix.

Simulism – as I understand it – has at least three features in common with Hinduism (please, correct me if I'm wrong):

1) A belief in reincarnation
2) A belief that reality is illusory – the “maya” in Hinduism and “the simulation” in Simulism
3) A system of Karma in operation

I find this astonishing. I was unaware of these similarities until recently.

Then there is this fact: 1 billion Hindus believe reality is somehow illusory (a similar belief to believing in a simulation) and they haven’t been driven mad, indeed most live happy, peaceful, ethical and productive lives – therefore I believe the objection that Simulism would be bad for social and moral order is not valid as Hinduism is not bad for these things.

I believe that in Simulism as a philosophy (and maybe also Hinduism too - I wouldn't know) it would be largely the belief in reincarnation and in karma that would prevent everyone going mad due to believing reality is illusory (by making certain acts have certain consequences) although I don't believe that the belief in an illusory reality does necessarily leads to everyone going mad. But then there will always be mad people, that's life.

Are there any Hindus here?​

My hypothesis, in this case meaning a basis for reasoning without any assumption of its truth, is that our lives are a dream by "God". Not that I consider this a traditional omnipotent omniscience entity. Just perhaps a superior consciousness.

I did follow a Hindu Guru for a number of years. I suspect this along with numerous other beliefs I've been involved with have influenced my ideas about reality. So it's not that I am endorsing this idea or even the existence of any form of God. However if there was any possibility of a supernatural reality, this would seem the most likely scenario.

If you've ever had a vivid dream they can seem quite real to you at the time. A reality filled with people and physics that you don't usually question the existence of at the time. All created by your subconscious mind.

I presume if you die in this "dream" you find a continued existence in a different dream. Maybe, at some point, this superior consciousness will wake up, which is you really, and realized that all of this was only a dream and like with most dreams most of what occured will simply be forgotten. At best vaguely remember and dismissed as only a dream.

As I see it, none of this matters to you. You have to deal with, accept the reality you perceive. Just the same if you find yourself in another simulation/dream. In this case, death provides no answers. Only another dream/experience you find yourself in.

Maybe even a heaven, an afterlife of some form but really just another dream experience.