• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Over half of US kids are playing Roblox

Cooky

Veteran Member
My 8 and 9 year old daughters are absolutely obsessed with Roblox, and stay up all night long playing it, and then sleep all day. Is anyone else seeing this..?

...But I can't complain much without being a hypocrite myself because I'm on forums alot and my wife seems to enjoy facebook quite a bit.

Roblox is a really big deal. But at least they're socializing and making new friends during the pandemic, right?

Over half of US kids are playing Roblox, and it’s about to host Fortnite-esque virtual parties too

Cooky

Veteran Member
My 8 year old caught onto it by watching Denis Daley videos on YouTube, when she was 6... At that time, Roblox avatars looked like pixel blocks, but the graphics have greatly improved.

I never understood why she liked watching this teenager narrate a video game at that age. But she was obsessed.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
My 8 and 9 year old daughters are absolutely obsessed with Roblox, and stay up all night long playing it, and then sleep all day. Is anyone else seeing this..?

...But I can't complain much without being a hypocrite myself because I'm on forums alot and my wife seems to enjoy facebook quite a bit.

Roblox is a really big deal. But at least they're socializing and making new friends during the pandemic, right?

Over half of US kids are playing Roblox, and it’s about to host Fortnite-esque virtual parties too

Roblox looks like a nice family-oriented platform but it's not without its issues.

Incidentally I love following Bereghostgames on YouTube as they are a family that games together spanning multiple titles. They however are fixated on Roblox as they're playing that game all the time. A little too much if you ask me. Heh.

Technically they are my dream family that I never had.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Roblox has been popular for well over fifteen years. By the way its not kids who play the most online games. Its adults mostly or teenagers, and then there are some younger kids mixed in. That probably goes double these days what with everyone staying home.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

So are 100% of the pedophiles.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
My two step daughters used to play it a lot when they were younger. From what I recall the censorship filter and moderation was pretty thorough and extensive. I would say the game is safe for kids, but nonetheless as with any online activity parents need to closely monitor and moderate their children's usage.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Roblox has been popular for well over fifteen years. By the way its not kids who play the most online games. Its adults mostly or teenagers, and then there are some younger kids mixed in. That probably goes double these days what with everyone staying home.
I don't play the title myself as I'm not all too keen on free to play games but from what I hear you can design your own games there and share it with the community so it seems the fun is endless.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I think it is great that they have something they can enjoy.

The problem I see is when there are no restraints to enjoyment. Children should learn to curve desires, go to bed at a decent time and have time limits between fun and, let's say, reading a book. IMO

Some people have actually died playing games on the internet for lack of sleep

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The problem I see is when there are no restraints to enjoyment. Children should learn to curve desires, go to bed at a decent time and have time limits between fun and, let's say, reading a book. IMO
That's more of a parenting issue than it is a gaming issue.

Kenny

Premium Member
That's more of a parenting issue than it is a gaming issue.
Which is what I posted. Children should be put in bed at a reasonable time and should balance gaming with things like working in house, reading, gardening or whatever other way one can creatively construct the character of a child.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Which is what I posted. Children should be put in bed at a reasonable time and should balance gaming with things like working in house, reading, gardening or whatever other way one can creatively construct the character of a child.
The problem is that many have long used games, movies, music, etc. (even books and board games) as a scapegoat for bad behavior.

Kenny

Premium Member
These kids were staying awake for many days straight. There's no way that some heavy doses of stimulants weren't involved. Either that or they had serious mental illnesses.
Wouldn't know.... it is incredible what a human mind can do without stimulants.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I think it is great that they have something they can enjoy.

Some people have actually died playing games on the internet for lack of sleep

I totally get your point, but....
It is a big issue if you have to contrast reading a book with having fun. A book for children that is not fun to read is a bad book.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Considering a large number of adults are seemingly addicted to their phones, it comes as no surprise that many kids are too and to various technical things no doubt. Setting an example?

Kenny

Premium Member
I totally get your point, but....
It is a big issue if you have to contrast reading a book with having fun. A book for children that is not fun to read is a bad book.
True.... finding the right book is important. Fortunately, we were able to achieve that with our three children when nintendos were the rage of the children. They became great readers.

But I wasn't relegating it with just reading books (although I think that only helps). What about gardening and growing food? (working with them of course). Or playing basketball with your children. there are a million ways to balance life.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes. Also online games should have a moderator who protects the children from certain kinds of bullying and sexual suggestions or invitations. Its pretty strange, but I have seen a lot of bullying and sexual innuendo with free games -- not Roblox specifically because I don't know much about it. Its a big world out there. There are lots of opportunities for making friends, learning language; however if you don't want your kids knowing how harsh the world is, just yet, don't let them go unchaperoned to public spaces such as public free games with chat, perhaps with voice chat and video chat. Like I said its a big world, and its full of good things. Its got some gotchas in it though.