• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Over half of Americans are sick and tired of both Republicans and Democrats..

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Just for comparison, we (Australia) have 2 primary parties.
However, it takes 500 members...or 1 sitting Member of Parliament...plus a written constitution and a $500 fee to register a political party.

The preferential voting system here also gives those parties more clout than they would have in a first part the post system.

Not suggesting our system is without flaws at all, just that it seems relatively easier and cheaper to organise a new party.
Have you ever taken the time to look at the independents and small parties though? They're almost always awful (although I have thrown a few protest votes their way, from time to time. I live in one of the safest Labor seats in the country, so I feel that's credible).

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The right is all for nanny-state legislation limiting people's right to marry whom they choose, limiting the right to abortion, giving goodies to large corporations and so forth.

Even I find myself wishing there was a new third political party completely unrelated to the two-party dictatorship we have today. And this article gave out a good question. Why don't we have a third party?

if you really want to know how evil both the Republicans and Democrats are just read this article.....

https://joinsam.org/blog/61-americans-want-see-new-political-party-where-it

How they got away in the first place with intentionally slamming the political door and throwing away the key, is completely beyond me in a supposedly free republic.

The real frustrating thing right now?

Is that there is absolutely no third-party in sight to finally overthrow this horrific two-party dictatorship that has ground this country into the ground.

When was the last time a major party change occurred? The Whigs?

I'm not even american and I'm sick of it too ;)

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Even I find myself wishing there was a new third political party completely unrelated to the two-party dictatorship we have today. And this article gave out a good question. Why don't we have a third party?

if you really want to know how evil both the Republicans and Democrats are just read this article.....

https://joinsam.org/blog/61-americans-want-see-new-political-party-where-it

How they got away in the first place with intentionally slamming the political door and throwing away the key, is completely beyond me in a supposedly free republic.

The real frustrating thing right now?

Is that there is absolutely no third-party in sight to finally overthrow this horrific two-party dictatorship that has ground this country into the ground.

When was the last time a major party change occurred? The Whigs?

I never understood why you guys have only two parties. To me it seems like the reason why there is so much polarization.

PureX

Veteran Member
I never understood why you guys have only two parties. To me it seems like the reason why there is so much polarization.
We have other parties. But the dems and reps have been in power for so long that they have made it nearly impossible for an alternative party to gain any influence at all. And they've convinced the people that the other main party is such a dire threat to them that to vote for another party is to give the election to the "enemy". So people think of any other alternative party as a "spoiler".

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
We have other parties. But the dems and reps have been in power for so long that they have made it nearly impossible for an alternative party to gain any influence at all. And they've convinced the people that the other main party is such a dire threat to them that to vote for another party is to give the election to the "enemy". So people think of any other alternative party as a "spoiler".

I did not know that at all. I never hear of the other parties at all. But I am not American so I wouldn't know much about the politics there.

PureX

Veteran Member
I did not know that at all. I never hear of the other parties at all. But I am not American so I wouldn't know much about the politics there.
We don't hear about them, here, much either. They are often not even on the ballot when voting because the voting rules have been set by the main parties in power, both of whom have had an interest in eliminating any competition. So the rules are designed to keep any alternative party off the ballots.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Oh, I agree, the republicrats suck. Why people keep voting for them is beyond me.
The answers are easy....
- Fear that a 3rd party vote is a throw away.
- 3rd parties frighten the common folk because their agendas are less mainstream.
The Libertarian Party consistently gets the most votes, but both Dems (especially)
& Pubs rail against our various agendas, eg, drug legalization, isolationism.

People complain about Dems & Pubs, but they really
do want these partis more than the alternatives. They
generally agree with what the parties do.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Oh, I agree, the republicrats suck. Why people keep voting for them is beyond me.
Have you seen the movie 1984?

1984_film-1160x653.jpg

Last edited:

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
We don't hear about them, here, much either. They are often not even on the ballot when voting because the voting rules have been set by the main parties in power, both of whom have had an interest in eliminating any competition. So the rules are designed to keep any alternative party off the ballots.

That really sounds dodgy. :eek:

PureX

Veteran Member
That really sounds dodgy. :eek:
It gets far worse then that. Once the citizenry, here, bought into the idea that their government was their enemy, the politicians realized they could get away with just about anything and still get re-elected because people expected them all to be corrupt, and either quit voting, or voted out of cynicism and self-interest, and re-elected the same corrupt people. The result being they could do pretty much whatever they wanted because we were going to hate them all, anyway, yet we weren't going to do anything about it.

Now they are all so corrupt that they really are our enemy, and we still don't do anything about it because we're still either not voting at all, or we're voting in total self-interest. And either way, the same criminals just keep being re-elected.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
It gets far worse then that. Once the citizenry, here, bought into the idea that their government was their enemy, the politicians realized they could get away with just about anything and still get re-elected because people expected them all to be corrupt, and either quit voting, or voted out of cynicism and self-interest, and re-elected the same corrupt people. The result being they could do pretty much whatever they wanted because we were going to hate them all, anyway, yet we weren't going to do anything about it.

Now they are all so corrupt that they really are our enemy, and we still don't do anything about it because we're still either not voting at all, or we're voting in total self-interest. And either way, the same criminals just keep being re-elected.

This sounds the same as what happens in my Country. In fact I feel the same way about my government as I have no faith in them.

PureX

Veteran Member
This sounds the same as what happens in my Country. In fact I feel the same way about my government as I have no faith in them.
Here in the U.S, it was the Reagan republicans that told the people that their government was their enemy. And who didn't want to hate and blame everything on the government? Especially when "Uncle Ronnie" made it all look so homey and wise. "Blame your dwindling paychecks on taxes, not your greedy bosses!" And we all lapped that crap up like hungry kittens. Unfortunately, the result was that we ended up with politicians that hated us as much as we hated them. Politicians that felt no remorse whatever for screwing us over for a big fat bribe from our corporate bosses. And soon those bosses were running everything, including the government. And they were using it to screw us real good and real hard, for every penny they could squeeze out of us. And then we not only blamed the government, we blamed each other. And so we became powerless in our loss of unity.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I contend why there are no more mob families, is that they all got elected.

PureX

Veteran Member
I contend why there are no more mob families, is that they all got elected.
They run corporations, now, that own those who get elected.

The government is not our enemy. The conglomerate of wealthy elites that have corrupted our government with legalized bribe money are our enemy. But we can't stop them until we take our government back. And we can't take our government back until we stop the legalized bribery.

Wandering Monk

The solution is very simple. Vote out of office every incumbent candidate in every election regardless of party affiliation unless and until we get someone in office that ACTS (not just talks about it) to stop the legalized bribery of our legislative branch of government. Until we wipe the slate clean, and elect people who will take action to end the wholesale bribery and corruption, none of our "elected representatives" are ever going to represent us. They will continue to represent the wealthy elites that are paying for their campaigns, their many political perks, their family member's huge salaries for do-nothing jobs, and their own huge salaries when they "retire" from politics.

Never vote for an incumbent again (unless as stated above). Vote for a third party candidate if you must (it doesn't matter which one), write in a candidate if you must (it doesn't matter which one), or simply don't vote for that specific office (but vote for all the others.) The message must be sent loud and clear: that we will vote, but we will NOT vote for any incumbent, ever again, unless they are willing to act (not just talk) to end the legalized bribery and the corruption that results. Until we stop this corruption, there is no hope of our ever gaining any positive change. And we are running out of time, because the corrupt politicians that are in power, now, are quickly rigging our electoral system so that our votes will no longer even matter.

Problem is, polls continue to show that folks generally like their senator or representative, and hate everyone else's.