• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Outrage as Nigeria sentences 13-year-old boy to 10 years prison for blasphemy

Cooky

Veteran Member
Because Bill Warner is bias so your source is bias. Go to a historian. A proper, educated, well researched, unbiased historian.

If you go fishing for information "you like" you will come to famous people like this. So your sources are invalid.

Cheers.

All the Muslims say that.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Yes but allah's terms of engagement demand that his followers are not only devoted to him, but slaves to him. Again, I find this very sad. I wonder why people volunteer to be slaves?

So what are you a slave of? Are you sure you are not? How sure are you? Whats your definition of slavery to God and how are you different? Whats your analysis and whats your research?

firedragon

Veteran Member
This seems like classic, religious, "blame the victim" bulls#it.

How is that? Did you just read something into someone else's statement?

There was no blaming the victim in it. Maybe you should read again and understand prior to retorting with some Bulls#it.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
So what are you a slave of? Are you sure you are not? How sure are you? Whats your definition of slavery to God and how are you different? Whats your analysis and whats your research?

Well I must admit that I'm addicted to oxygen :)

One aspect of slavery is that a slave is judged by his master. As Hitchens often said, abrahamic gods are like celestial dictators who - it is claimed by the religious - judge not only your actions but your thoughts. And these masters NEVER let you escape their grasp, not in life and not even in death.

As for myself, IMO this gets into philosophical questions, which is okay. I'm mostly a Utilitarian. I have utilitarian goals for myself, but I'm my own judge. I don't volunteer to be judged by some mythical, petty, cruel, insecure god.

icehorse

Premium Member
How is that? Did you just read something into someone else's statement?

There was no blaming the victim in it. Maybe you should read again and understand prior to retorting with some Bulls#it.

Parents make mistakes. All parents make mistakes. There is only one person to blame for rape. The rapist. Full stop.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Yeah. But I am no bigot so I won't say things like "All the Christians repeat what nonprofessional people like Bill Warner says like parrots".

Good going.

So there are some Muslims who agree with Bill Warners statistics. Interesting.

icehorse

Premium Member
Prison? Not at all

You have volunteered to be judged by allah using his rules, and if you don't follow them well enough you've agreed that he can torture you for eternity. sounds like a prison to me.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Well I must admit that I'm addicted to oxygen :)

One aspect of slavery is that a slave is judged by his master. As Hitchens often said, abrahamic gods are like celestial dictators who - it is claimed by the religious - judge not only your actions but your thoughts. And these masters NEVER let you escape their grasp, not in life and not even in death.

As for myself, IMO this gets into philosophical questions, which is okay. I'm mostly a Utilitarian. I have utilitarian goals for myself, but I'm my own judge. I don't volunteer to be judged by some mythical, petty, cruel, insecure god.

Well, Hitchens is very interesting yet unsophisticated because he has no knowledge in the religious topic he speaks about. So its pretty much invalid to quote an amateur in the field.

Well, Slavery to God in Islam is not like you said. So you have not understood it nor have you done any research. So maybe you should do some.

Ill give you a small hint. One as aspect of slavery to God is, you become a slave of God rather than becoming a slave to ego and wishful thinking. Well. Thats one feature.

So what research have you done about yourself? What are you a slave of? I mean other than using words and insult other people, their religions and their so called "God" to satisfy something missing in your life that is.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Parents make mistakes. All parents make mistakes. There is only one person to blame for rape. The rapist. Full stop.

Well. People like you make a lot of assumptions like that because you are uneducated on the subject. Its quite normal these days.

But you are wrong. The rapist is to be punished. He is to be blamed. So is society as a whole. So is the judicial system. So is the support system. So there is a lot of things to think about, rather than making assumptions from a very primitive state.

ecco

Veteran Member
it really isn't... We didn't see this level of stupidity in the Helenic polytheist religions of ancient Greece, who also happened to be educated thinkers.

When children are taught to denigrate science by parents who denigrate science, ignorance blossoms.

ecco

Veteran Member
i found the most freedom after i converted to Islam

Maybe you have more freedom now than you did under your previous religion.

However,
I have freedom to dress as I choose.
I have freedom to eat what I choose.
I have freedom to talk to girls and women as long as I am respectful.
I have freedom to not get down on my knees and praise a myth.

You don't have these freedoms.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's a myth that the Library of Alexandria was destroyed by Christians.

Library of Alexandria - Wikipedia

View attachment 42953

"It is unknown precisely how many such scrolls were housed at any given time, but estimates range from 40,000 to 400,000 at its height."

Only if you ignore its destruction by Christians

The library was destroyed by fire twice, first time by accident when fire from burning ships in the harbour spread.

A second library was established at the temple of Serapis the one in which one of my heroines, Hypatia, was murdered while trying to save books from christians happend in 391 when Emperor Theodosius declared christianity the only legal religion and ordered all pagan temples in the Roman empire to be destroyed. The temple of Serapis, library and its head librarian were destroyed by Christians carrying out the emperor's edict.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Maybe you have more freedom now than you did under your previous religion.

However,
I have freedom to dress as I choose.
I have freedom to eat what I choose.
I have freedom to talk to girls and women as long as I am respectful.
I have freedom to not get down on my knees and praise a myth.

You don't have these freedoms.
I have the freedom i am happy with, i eat vegetarian food, so the avoidance of pork is not a problem.

I actually can dress as i used to do before.

I was not talking to a lot of people before either, yes i have to watch my speaking a bit more toward females, and that is not a problem for me.

Prayer help me stay focused, so again not a problem for me.

So non of the points you made is a hindrance to me.

icehorse

Premium Member
Well, Hitchens is very interesting yet unsophisticated because he has no knowledge in the religious topic he speaks about. So its pretty much invalid to quote an amateur in the field.

Well, Slavery to God in Islam is not like you said. So you have not understood it nor have you done any research. So maybe you should do some.

Ill give you a small hint. One as aspect of slavery to God is, you become a slave of God rather than becoming a slave to ego and wishful thinking. Well. Thats one feature.

So what research have you done about yourself? What are you a slave of? I mean other than using words and insult other people, their religions and their so called "God" to satisfy something missing in your life that is.

You have a habit of claiming that critics are uneducated. Being the critical thinker that you are, you should know that that is a fallacy argument on your part. It is a variety of ad hominem. As you well know, in a debate such as this, what's up for discussion are the ideas themselves. It should matter not a whit who made the claim. Claims must stand or fall on their own merit. You good with that?

firedragon

Veteran Member
You have a habit of claiming that critics are uneducated. Being the critical thinker that you are, you should know that that is a fallacy argument on your part. It is a variety of ad hominem. As you well know, in a debate such as this, what's up for discussion are the ideas themselves. It should matter not a whit who made the claim. Claims must stand or fall on their own merit. You good with that?

Nah. If they are uneducated on a subject, they are uneducated. Thats it. So you have a habit of worshiping critics blindly as long as they are critiquing religions, especially islam. So I turn that accusation right back at you maybe you will feel good.

Hitchens uneducated in the fields of theology, historicity of scripture, sociology of religion, so he has no expertise. But see, you love him because you love him thus he is your God. You are his slave.

This is what you must understand about slavery that you speak of. You worship Hitchens blindly.

;)

icehorse

Premium Member
Most Christian scholars, and most people who have some decent knowledge to identify a professional dont. You see?

Once again, Warner seems to have done a unique form of research. A form of research that neither Christians nor Muslims like. But he's making clear, factual claims. For example, he claims that in the first 400 years of Islam's existence, Muslims initiated hundreds of battles across Northern Africa, the ME, and SE Europe. He documents these battles. So each battle he cites is a factual claim that can be verified to be true or not.

So this is not really a matter of religious scholar's opinions. These are questions of historical facts.