• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Outrage as Nigeria sentences 13-year-old boy to 10 years prison for blasphemy

Cooky

Veteran Member
Evidence for your claim of no books or education.

The bible was certainly prolific and used as a teaching aid across Europe .

Just 2 years ago i was involved in an educational fair at a nearby chateau. There were educators from across Europe presenting demonstrations of education methods throughout the midieval period.

Universities began to spring up across Europe over 1000 years ago.

As I said, the term dark ages is a misrepresentation.

I'm talking about the Classical civilization areas, such as Spain, Italy and Greece... the other areas of Europe at that time were still underdeveloped.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's a lack of education that makes people stupid. If people aren't reading books and thinking outside their trained ideologies, that's more likely the cause of what's happening in Nigeria with killing 13 y/olds than "time".

This is rubbish, i am an example of how rubbish this is. Until age 14 i was considered ineducable. I am a long way from stupid.

Whats happening in Nigeria is religion.

There are stupid people in every religion and ideology.

Agreed

This is why it's okay to criticize able people for not expanding their mind, including fundies in Islam and Christianity. And we should do it as much as possible.

Precisely, i am glad you added Christianity there.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I'm talking about the Classical civilization areas, such as Spain, Italy and Greece... the other areas of Europe at that time were still underdeveloped.

Ahh, narrowing the goalposts. Ok

Cooky

Veteran Member
This is rubbish, i am an example of how rubbish this is. Until age 14 i was considered ineducable. I am a long way from stupid.

Whats happening in Nigeria is religion.

it really isn't... We didn't see this level of stupidity in the Helenic polytheist religions of ancient Greece, who also happened to be educated thinkers.

So it can't be religion... It has to be a lack of a well rounded education, and the encouragement to 'think' for yourself... Contemplation...

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Not slave. Devoted to Allah

Yes but allah's terms of engagement demand that his followers are not only devoted to him, but slaves to him. Again, I find this very sad. I wonder why people volunteer to be slaves?

icehorse

Premium Member
Mothers telling girls to be "girlie", grow your hair, cover your hair, do this, do that, be a woman, be good to your husband, are all teachings that are not grooming the girl, it is grooming the guy. It is grooming the guy to think of women as objects. This is the fundamental reason for this sickness.

This seems like classic, religious, "blame the victim" bulls#it.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Still, that's where all the best libraries were. And the Muslims seized almost all of the literature in Spain, and Europe suffered greatly from that.

Rather like christians and the library at Alexandria 500 years before. Oh look, we are back where we started

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yes but allah's terms of engagement demand that his followers are not only devoted to him, but slaves to him. Again, I find this very sad. I wonder why people volunteer to be slaves?
I am no slave, i found the most freedom after i converted to Islam, and when Allah ask of me to follow strict teaching it is a request that wish to follow, but i also know when I do not follow the teaching it hurt me more then when i am able to follow it.

I dont expect others to understand my choice of religion or why i feel its a good teaching for me as a petson. It is a personal practice.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I don't know why these conquests existed...

Because Bill Warner is bias so your source is bias. Go to a historian. A proper, educated, well researched, unbiased historian.

If you go fishing for information "you like" you will come to famous people like this. So your sources are invalid.

Cheers.

icehorse

Premium Member
Not if you feel the same way about funnymentalists across the board

But perhaps my lack if education let me down with phraseology

Well you and I feel the same way about all the extremists. But to me, your what-about-ism is often taken by apologists as a get out of jail free card.

icehorse

Premium Member
I am no slave, i found the most freedom after i converted to Islam, and when Allah ask of me to follow strict teaching it is a request that wish to follow, but i also know when I do not follow the teaching it hurt me more then when i am able to follow it.

I dont expect others to understand my choice of religion or why i feel its a good teaching for me as a petson. It is a personal practice.

But by your own admission, it's more than "teaching", it's prison rules.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Rather like christians and the library at Alexandria 500 years before. Oh look, we are back where we started

It's a myth that the Library of Alexandria was destroyed by Christians.

Library of Alexandria - Wikipedia

240px-Ancientlibraryalex.jpg

"It is unknown precisely how many such scrolls were housed at any given time, but estimates range from 40,000 to 400,000 at its height."

firedragon

Veteran Member
Can you expound in this a bit, please? Maybe in a new thread.

Every time I open a new thread on this subject with original research and original writing it was deleted by admins because they think we are all cut and paste artist with nothing original. Thus, I contended not to do it again. Nothing original and professional in any field will be posted on this forum ever again. Its an embarrassment.

But I can tell you directly. Rape is a symptom of psychological dysfunction. It is not a crime like a planned murder or a theft. And it is growing in the world. Not declining.

Where it has seen decline are countries that have severe laws against rape cases, quick execution of verdict and surveillance around every corner. If you take some countries in Asia the rape conviction rate per year is 0.07%. Out of a 2,000 cases, anything between one to two will end up with a conviction. And cases run for 11 years. 7 years for sentencing and then 4 to 5 years for an appeal and bail. In the U.S the conviction rate is 6%, which is better, but should be much better.

Anyway, this is another topic brother. I just happened to speak out for no reason. Apologies.