• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Outrage as Nigeria sentences 13-year-old boy to 10 years prison for blasphemy

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I do not agree fully on that, but yes the rules in Islam can be used in the wrong way by some. Majority of muslims do not treate woman badly

Have you ever visited a Muslim area near where you live? I had a studio in Preston where over 10% of the population are muslim.
While some muslims consider equality of the sexes to be right, most do not. They follow the teachings of the Qur'an (i can dig out the verses if you want). Look out of the studio windows and see subjugation of women, meekly following a distance behind there man. It was very sad to see.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
With the onset of puberty, the individual becomes subject to shar‘i rulings that apply to him, so he should not shake hands with women or look at them, and he should not be alone with a woman, because he has now become accountable and the things that are prohibited for adult men are also prohibited for him, because he is one of them. It is not permissible to be careless about this matter, and it is essential to take it seriously. So you must refuse to go to the women’s prayer hall, and refuse to shake hands with non-mahram women or look at them, including your cousins, even if they object to you doing that, because there can be no obedience to any created being if it involves disobedience towards the Creator.
Garbage.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Abusing a child and ruining their life over a stupid, worthless superstition isn't okay.
If islam is stupid worthless superstition to you, that is fine.
I do not say i agree a child like the one OP speak about should get 10 years in prison.
But i do agree that to follow religioues laws can be good when they are used correctly. Clearly some muslim countries do follow a to strict sharia law

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
If islam is stupid worthless superstition to you, that is fine.
I do not say i agree a child like the one OP speak about should get 10 years in prison.
But i do agree that to follow religioues laws can be good when they are used correctly. Clearly some muslim countries do follow a to strict sharia law
They could be useful as a guide if the "rules" were rational rather than completely arbitrary with extremely disproportionate punishments.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
They could be useful as a guide if the "rules" were rational rather than completely arbitrary with extremely disproportionate punishments.
Sharia law is an unwritten law, and some people do practice it to strict yes.
In my understanding the reason the sharia law was made was to get people to follow the law put down in the Quran. It was ment to make it more easy to be a good muslim. But people in todays world does not like rules and regulation

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
He was sentenced on August 10 by the same court that recently sentenced a studio assistant Yahaya Sharif-Aminu to death for blaspheming Prophet Mohammed,
Once Sai Baba told me "Be ready the August 10"...Maybe a hint to tell me how bad this Islamic "death for Blaspheming" is; or just coincidence:D

BUT some of His main teachings were:
1) "Hurt Never"
2) "Never criticize someone for having another (non)faith then yours"
3) "It's easy to not criticize, but you should even encourage others in their own (non)Faith"

So, I think it was not even coincidence he mentioned August 10, as I see this Islamic problem as one of the major obstacles to Peace within Islam

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Sharia law is an unwritten law, and some people do practice it to strict yes.
I disagree
They practice it WRONG

You telling "they practice too strict" means in English that you agree with "killing for Blasphemy in Islam", that this to the correct way to handle Blasphemy

IF Strict teaching is to kill

THEN Too strict teaching is to kill too, because one can't get more dead than dead

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I disagree
They practice it WRONG

You telling "they practice too strict" means in English that you agree with "killing for Blasphemy in Islam", that this to the correct way to handle Blasphemy

IF Strict teaching is to kill

THEN Too strict teaching is to kill too, because one can't get more dead than dead
No i do not support those who kill others, i dont support muslims who kill, i do not support others who kill.
I do not support killing because of blasphemy, but i do support a mild form of sharia law but only for muslims. Sharia law are not meant to be used toward non muslims

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
And for those whon are muslims; they have no choice since leaving Islam is punished by death.
Leaving Islam is a controversial subject among Muslims since the Quran and Hadith – the collected sayings of the Prophet Muhammad – are not in agreement about its consequences. The Quran itself does not specify a punishment for apostasy, or the “leaving, departing away from, or deserting, one's religion." However, some Muslims scholars suggest various Quranic verses can be interpreted to support the death sentence for individuals who leave the faith. Unlike the Quran, the Hadith is not ambiguous on the subject and, in several verses, appears to prescribe execution for those who abandon Islam.

Personally i see the words in the Quran as the most important to follow

ecco

Veteran Member
With the onset of puberty, the individual becomes subject to shar‘i rulings that apply to him, so he should not shake hands with women or look at them, and he should not be alone with a woman, because he has now become accountable and the things that are prohibited for adult men are also prohibited for him, because he is one of them. It is not permissible to be careless about this matter, and it is essential to take it seriously. So you must refuse to go to the women’s prayer hall, and refuse to shake hands with non-mahram women or look at them, including your cousins, even if they object to you doing that, because there can be no obedience to any created being if it involves disobedience towards the Creator.

Thank you for posting a short summary of some of the things that are evil in the Muslim religion.

But i also understand why strict law is sometimes needed.

Strict law as defined by whom? A bunch of old misogynistic men who belong in the Ninth Century?

I do not agree that woman should be submissed by man. So no i do not support exteme version of Sharia law.

What may be "extreme" to you is not extreme at all to many. The problem with your religion, as with all religions, is that the people in power get to decide what is and what is not extreme.

but yes the rules in Islam can be used in the wrong way by some.

See above.

Again, who defines "correctly"? Certainly not you. Certainoly not a 13 year old boy in an argument.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Leaving Islam is a controversial subject among Muslims since the Quran and Hadith – the collected sayings of the Prophet Muhammad – are not in agreement about its consequences. The Quran itself does not specify a punishment for apostasy, or the “leaving, departing away from, or deserting, one's religion." However, some Muslims scholars suggest various Quranic verses can be interpreted to support the death sentence for individuals who leave the faith. Unlike the Quran, the Hadith is not ambiguous on the subject and, in several verses, appears to prescribe execution for those who abandon Islam.

Personally i see the words in the Quran as the most important to follow

But you'll mingle and pray alongside those who think it's fine executing apostates..?