• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Out on a limb?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
How often do you look at your beliefs, views, opinions, behaviour and such so as to compare these with others, especially those you might suspect (or know) as having more ability and/or knowledge (but perhaps discounting personal experiences as being more anecdotal and non-verifiable), or those to whom you would more naturally gravitate, such as friends perhaps?

For myself, it is quite rare to have views that are obviously out of step with both my friends and any I am likely to place in the category of probably or undoubtedly 'knowing better', perhaps because I am too choosy as to any friends but also because my friends were more local even though I have met many from quite different backgrounds, countries, and cultures. And this is inevitable, for me at least, as to the ability/knowledge aspect since I do tend to know my own abilities and limitations, but also because I try to be consistent. Any inconsistencies are usually followed up as far as I am able so as to resolve such.

Of course the spectre of confirmation bias is always there. :oops:

How about you?

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree....I would like to think my "beliefs, views, opinions" are not significantly influenced by my friends. And knowledge wouldn't be a factor anyway. I know no others who would self-describe as Buddhist, I know people who vote Tory, my musical preferences have nowt to do with anyone I know...
I await elucidation.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I have always been careful what I say to friends. They are typically very passionate people. Its rare that 2 of my friends get along with one another.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree....I would like to think my "beliefs, views, opinions" are not significantly influenced by my friends. And knowledge wouldn't be a factor anyway. I know no others who would self-describe as Buddhist, I know people who vote Tory, my musical preferences have nowt to do with anyone I know...
I await elucidation.
Added behaviour to the list - such as friends more likely being compatible (not so many nasty, aggressive, exploitative, etc. ones), although obviously some tolerance is what makes friendships. I've not ever really had any friends I disliked or hated for example. But mostly those friends I have or had do or did seem to have more or less the same views as myself (for whatever reasons) on a range of subjects, with few being at all religious for example. Perhaps my circle of friends has been a bit incestuous - and like attracting like. :oops:

This was much like the beliefs and such - with any obvious anomalies/disagreements needing to be looked into.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Added behaviour to the list - such as friends more likely being compatible (not so many nasty, aggressive, exploitative, etc. ones), although obviously some tolerance is what makes friendships. I've not ever really had any friends I disliked or hated for example. But mostly those friends I have or had do or did seem to have more or less the same views as myself (for whatever reasons) on a range of subjects, with few being at all religious for example. Perhaps my circle of friends has been a bit incestuous - and like attracting like. :oops:

This was much like the beliefs and such - with any obvious anomalies/disagreements needing to be looked into.
Good to know you've not got any hated friends :D

Seriously, friendships can become toxic or draining. Longterm that would need evaluating.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
How often do you look at your beliefs, views, opinions, behaviour and such so as to compare these with others, especially those you might suspect (or know) as having more ability and/or knowledge (but perhaps discounting personal experiences as being more anecdotal and non-verifiable), or those to whom you would more naturally gravitate, such as friends perhaps?

For myself, it is quite rare to have views that are obviously out of step with both my friends and any I am likely to place in the category of probably or undoubtedly 'knowing better', perhaps because I am too choosy as to any friends but also because my friends were more local even though I have met many from quite different backgrounds, countries, and cultures. And this is inevitable, for me at least, as to the ability/knowledge aspect since I do tend to know my own abilities and limitations, but also because I try to be consistent. Any inconsistencies are usually followed up as far as I am able so as to resolve such.

How about you?
I feel like I’m doing this more recently. Maybe that’s due to lockdown and not having any outlet for social behaviour. To the point that my shut in self would call such people around me “a hermit.”

Either way one of my personal goals is to vet my beliefs. That said due to the overwhelming drama that is American politics, I’m afraid that might be a smidge difficult lol

Audie

Veteran Member

How about you?

I think clint suggested knowing ones limitations.
Advice unheeded by our creationists who
find they know better than every scientist on earth.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I do not compare my beliefs (spiritual ones) with others. I belief that any (non) Faith can help one reach one's goal
No need for a specific Faith, also no need for mine. Probably this is the reason I do not compare with others

:D
I also like to resolve my inconsistencies. And I am also choosy when it comes to friends.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Thinking more about - having a belief that all humans are the same and deserve the same rights, but where one might be opposed to certain LGBTI rights or behaviour for whatever reasons (possibly from religious doctrines), or where the same applies to female rights, or where one might suspend rights for some (children - either indoctrinated in a religious belief or in having circumcision, for example) again coming from certain beliefs. Or perhaps a more obvious example, how many will dispute some consensus view from science (like Climate Change) and where they are almost in agreement with much else that is shown by science, or the consensus view on evolution - give or take the usual controversies. How do you manage such if you do find yourself out on a limb?