• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Out of the darkness

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Was not real certain where to post this ...

So move it if you like!

Here's a blog I found just recently -

A few years ago, two young smartly-dressed Mormon gentlemen approached me outside my local library. ‘Excuse me sir,’ they said to me. ‘I was wondering if you ever read the Bible?’

I was with my baby son and he needed to get home for his lunch, so I decided to be blunt and direct. I told them that I didn't and decided to try out what I consider to be two of the best arguments against religion.

'There are thousands of different religions in the world, all of them with different beliefs,' I told them. 'And every single one of them believes that they have the truth and everyone else’s beliefs are false. So that must mean that none of them have the truth. Or think of it like this: where do your beliefs come from? They were passed down to you from your parents. You didn’t search them out and evaluate them yourselves, they were passed on to you, and you’ve never questioned them.'

For the full blog - click here -

Out of the Darkness

The article I quoted is called "beyond religion".

Enjoy your day!

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

So move it if you like!

A few years ago, two young smartly-dressed Mormon gentlemen approached me outside my local library. ‘Excuse me sir,’ they said to me. ‘I was wondering if you ever read the Bible?’

I was with my baby son and he needed to get home for his lunch, so I decided to be blunt and direct. I told them that I didn't and decided to try out what I consider to be two of the best arguments against religion.

'There are thousands of different religions in the world, all of them with different beliefs,' I told them. 'And every single one of them believes that they have the truth and everyone else’s beliefs are false. So that must mean that none of them have the truth. Or think of it like this: where do your beliefs come from? They were passed down to you from your parents. You didn’t search them out and evaluate them yourselves, they were passed on to you, and you’ve never questioned them.'

Out of the Darkness

Enjoy your day!

These are indeed legitimate arguments against ancient world views and religions, but the reality of religion is beyond any religion nor the many diverse world views people claim to believe nor not believe in.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
These are indeed legitimate arguments against ancient world views and religions, but the reality of religion is beyond any religion nor the many diverse world views people claim to believe nor not believe in.

Thanks for sharing!

I am not religious as such but I respect anyone sincerely trying to become better human being via their religious faith.. The main problem is that dogma does tend to make people judgemental of those who subscribe to a different dogma.

I like many of the Bahai beliefs compared with other faiths - you seem pretty open-minded & compassionate so keep on doing whatever floats your boat I say :)

Wishing you all the best.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
If one believes in a "Creator God" and if all religions do so, it logically must be the same common divine force which/who created the Earth in the Solar System in the Milky Way Galaxy and so on.

No religions can claim that their god is the real god and their land is the only chosen one. It´s just narrow minded politicians and priests who claim such nonsense.

If one believes that individuals needs to support eachother in a community in order to have a good life and survive, this must be a common global "rule".

If one believes that everything in nature is depended on and of eachother, and should be treated with ecological respect, this must be a common perception on the Earth.

These 3 sentences really makes the very essence in all religions and there is no need to have a religion as such and especially if a religion derives from these natural perceptions, rules and conditions.

This should give some ideas to the topic of coming "Out of the darkness".

Ayjaydee

If one believes in a "Creator God" and if all religions do so, it logically must be the same common divine force which/who created the Earth in the Solar System in the Milky Way Galaxy and so on.

No religions can claim that their god is the real god and their land is the only chosen one. It´s just narrow minded politicians and priests who claim such nonsense.

If one believes that individuals needs to support eachother in a community in order to have a good life and survive, this must be a common global "rule".

If one believes that everything in nature is depended on and of eachother, and should be treated with ecological respect, this must be a common perception on the Earth.

These 3 sentences really makes the very essence in all religions and there is no need to have a religion as such and especially if a religion derives from these natural perceptions, rules and conditions.

This should give some ideas to the topic of coming "Out of the darkness".
Does a religion require a creator god?

Native

Then it becomes irrelevant because one of the if's is not satisfied
Don´t you understand a rhetorically question? Try to grasp the basic idea insted of your pedantic nitpicking.

Ayjaydee

Don´t you understand a rhetorically question? Try to grasp the basic idea insted of your pedantic nitpicking.
Of course and when someone uses a false premise to make a point, I'll point it out

Last edited:

Native

I'll assume you know what that sentence was supposed to mean.as to your point, I quit looking for it based on your use of a false premise
You´re inserting a false premises in my sentences because you didn´t take the time to understand the philosophical content and afterwards you keep on nitpicking because of your lack of understanding.

Thanks for me for now for nothing.

Ayjaydee

You´re inserting a false premises in my sentences because you didn´t take the time to understand the philosophical content and afterwards you keep on nitpicking because of your lack of understanding.

Thanks for me for now for nothing.
You're the one postulating all have a creator.

Native

You're the one postulating all have a creator.
It´s very funny and indeed relevant to you, that this topic is called "Out of the Darkness" and you STILL can´t understand a written dark and bolded text and it´s context.

Ayjaydee

It´s very funny and indeed relevant to you, that this topic is called "Out of the Darkness" and you STILL can´t understand a written dark and bolded text and it´s context.
No point in postulating a condition that is an impossible state of affairs. An exercise in futility. It ends further consideration as wasted time and energy.

j1i

Smiling is charity without giving money

So move it if you like!

Out of the Darkness

Enjoy your day!

thanks
can i share ?
There is only one true religion (which is the worship of God the Creator who created us) and the others are those who gave us favor, we only thank them not wroshiping Otherwise, parents are the first to worship.

The difference is the extent to which others can see the light of truth
You have the right to be afraid of chaos, but I encourage you to study carefully why he is a god and why we should worship him

Do you accept that you only buy goods that are sold in dollars, and you pay one million dollars? While others pay a dollar
And you think that this goods will exclude you from harm and bring you luck

Valuating things with their real value is a moral matter, it is logical and it is the right of every customer

I do not want to enter slavery for an unworthy party that did not create me and did not real support me

for me Allah have mercy on me and created me

example
If the planet was worth more than a dollar, and also those who lived and appeared on it, it would not have revolved around the sun.
The sun is stronger but not the strongest

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
thanks
can i share ?
There is only one true religion (which is the worship of God the Creator who created us) and the others are those who gave us favor, we only thank them not wroshiping Otherwise, parents are the first to worship.

The difference is the extent to which others can see the light of truth
You have the right to be afraid of chaos, but I encourage you to study carefully why he is a god and why we should worship him

Do you accept that you only buy goods that are sold in dollars, and you pay one million dollars? While others pay a dollar
And you think that this goods will exclude you from harm and bring you luck

Valuating things with their real value is a moral matter, it is logical and it is the right of every customer

I do not want to enter slavery for an unworthy party that did not create me and did not real support me

for me Allah have mercy on me and created me

example
If the planet was worth more than a dollar, and also those who lived and appeared on it, it would not have revolved around the sun.
The sun is stronger but not the strongest

Thanks for sharing!

Not entirely sure what you mean but here goes nothing -

The being that would be capable of creating such a wonderfully mysterious universe and creatures like us ... I cannot imagine that such a being wants to be "worshiped" - I try to imagine being in those shoes and I would just want my creations to have a good time and treat each other with kindness & compassion and that is what religion ought to be all about. Unfortunately it has often been the reverse kind of behaviour amongst human beings - that is why a lot of people are "against" religion because they see what harm dogmatic thinking creates - a lot of human drama and conflict ...

Anyway, wishing you all the very best and keep on trucking!

Geoff.