• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Out of my head

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I recently found this book in the library - sounds interesting

The book is called "Out of my head" by Tim Parks.

One review says this:

Tim Parks is a prolific writer of novels and nonfiction, and a translator who lives in Italy and lectures at the University of Milan. A few years ago I read Teach Us to Sit StilI – an exploration of his debilitating illness, which was alleviated by learning to meditate. An examination of the causes of prostate pain would not usually be my choice but I was so enamoured of his prose style that I could not be separated from the book. Out of My Head is another mesmerising look at a subject which is not on my bucket list. This is because I have needed remediation in maths and science subjects since I was five. I am always hoping for a way to learn about material that has been opaque to me for years.

In this book Parks attempts to examine the nature of consciousness by interviewing several scientists who are researching the nature of the mind, and by explaining the ‘Spread Mind’ theory of his friend, philosopher Riccardo Manzotti. He does this with a charming intimacy. The thoughts of his girlfriend Eleonora, as well as those of Manzotti, are revealed in interviews set down as remembered conversations. These graft the reader to the situation and the moment even though, as he confesses, the words are written much later. Parks is aware of his reader in a rather affectionate way and offers a personal connection to usher us into the difficult scientific world, where he gives a masterclass in the detailed analysis of scientific papers.

You can see the entire review here -

https://newtownreviewofbooks.com.au...l-of-consciousness-reviewed-by-folly-gleeson/

Enjoy!